Crabs?

Marillian

I am not a crab eater, but am familiar with most of the names of the types of crabs you can find in Alaska. How do they differ in taste?

Also, are there any recommended places to eat in Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan that serve items other than fish and seafood? I'm allergic to fish and not too keen on shellfish except lobster. No fast food either.

If you want to grab something off of the ship, you will find many places to do so. The Red Dog Saloon in Juneau is famous and is a reminder of the gold rush days.

It is Alaska, and you will find lots of seafood and shellfish. The type of crab available will most often depend on what is in season while you are there.

I know there is a lot of fish and seafood in Alaska, that's why I'm asking for suggestions for places other than a seafood restaurant. :) We will be there in mid-August. I still would like to know how crabs differ in taste.

I know there is a lot of fish and seafood in Alaska, that's why I'm asking for suggestions for places other than a seafood restaurant. :) We will be there in mid-August. I still would like to know how crabs differ in taste.

The blue crab from the Gulf area is cooked with seasoning. The King Crab and the Dungeness Crab are not cooked with seasoning because the shells are too thick to let the seasonings get in. The Dungeness crab is served all cracked up sometime with the shell left over the top for display. The King Crab Legs are easier eaten using a scissors to cut the shell, but sometimes just a knife is served. Maybe they cracked them some to help you get into them.

Ths Dungeness and King crab legs are eaten with drawn butter.

The Blue crab is eaten as is or maybe with Ketsup.

Those are my thoughts.

Hi,

Since the subject of this board is Crabs...

I'll be travelling to Ketichan, Icy Straight.Juneau Skagway, and I LOVE Alaskan Crab Legs. I am doing a b2b in May and so visit each port twice.

Question : How are portions typically priced - is it something like - by the half pound?

Question: Any suggestions on which port I should seek this out for a lunch and where?

Any places to stay away from (as it NOT their speciality)?

My preference is to do an independent feast rather than an organized tour.

For the non crab lovers on the thread - I would imaging that you might come across an opportunity for enjoying game type meat, if that is something you'd consider.

Sincerely,

Nina

All of the king crab is caught in a very small window in the winter...cooked and then flash frozen...so none of it is "fresh"....unless you have a personal use pot in Nome and fish through the ice...:) That is the kind of crab that most people associate with Alaska...We also have dungies, snow, and tanner crabs but other than the Dungies, you don't see them much on the menu. You can get snow crabs fairly frequently but they have very small legs and I don't think they are as tasty..but that is my opinion only...Lots of people love them...Most people have no idea that they are eating crab that was caught 6 months or more ago...

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your experience and views. I really appreciate it.

I guess I will be on the hunt for the dungies followed by halibut, which I hope you don't tell me is mostly frozen too?

Like you, I don't care for the crabs with the small legs either.

Though the idea of me fishing through the ice some day for my Alaskan crab is very entertaining and I dare saw appealing.

I guess I'll get the same frozen crab legs at a fish store where I live but might not taste the same without an Alaska draft ...

Sincerely,

Nina

Dungeness Crab, yum! We are planning to take the Wilderness Exploration Cruise & Crab Feast in Ketchikan for the second time. We had done this tour back in 2005 and hope that it is as good as the last time. We took a beautiful catamaran ride up the river with amazing scenery, eagles, whales etc. Got to our destination and pulled up crab pots and learned about the crabs. Upon our return to the dock we went to a nice restaurant and an awesome lunch with all the dungeness crab you could eat, potatoes, coleslaw, beverage. A great tour for crab lovers!

Yea, but I just eat it like it is. If it is cooked right, it will have plenty of seasoning.

K Thanks Ill have to try them next time in NOLA

Dungeness Crab, yum! !

I agree my favorite crab

Growing up in SF I had my own net and would go crabbing near the GG Bridge. So I might be a little biased:D

Ketsup on a crab is that like a cocktail sauce???

Don't DARE put ketchup OR cocktail sauce on a crab!! They are absolutely delicious just plain, with those great south Louisiana seasonings soaked in! They are my favorite seafood, so I am looking forward to comparing the Alaskan version. I am planning to hit Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau based on the raves on the boards.

Blue Crabs from the Chesapeake Bay, and Gulf Coast are never, ever eaten with ketchup. Ever. People will hurt you if you ruin crabs that way.

Steamed with Old Bay or other seasoning make them just perfect. Sometimes a touch of drawn butter, but othewise, nothing other than some steamed corn on the cob and lots of cold beer.

I think the differences in 'taste' are actually in texture of the crab meat. I never met a steamed crab that didn't taste good!

Crab cooked by REAL locals is the best - these are people who have no use for "Old Bay", or "beer" (of all things) type seasonings. The locals most definitely know the way it's done much like a Texan can cook BBQ beef.

And, without a doubt, Dungeness is by far the best and the most affordable. Period lol.....

And another thing, be aware of when you buy crab......is it in season or was it purchased before, cooked, froze and sold as "fresh".

The picture on this thread is suspect. Dungeness season starts in the middle of June.......

And another thing, be aware of when you buy crab......is it in season or was it purchased before, cooked, froze and sold as "fresh".

The picture on this thread is suspect. Dungeness season starts in the middle of June.......

Mid-June. Fantastic. We start our B2B on June 16th:D:D

Archived