Excellent Service on the Crown yet people still shock the heck out of me

M&MCruisin

Thanks for sharing your experiences about the hard working crew..

As to the other stuff, there's not one person here at CC who cruises often that doesn't have similar stories, and I for one stopped being surprised about other passengers borish behavior along time ago. In fact if you read some posts and replies on threads and rollcalls here at CC, I'm sorry to say you can sometime detect them here too.

Srpilo

Had an experience on our Emerald Cruise in February very much like this one. The rude people were seated right across the aisle from me and I watched all this arrogance go on. It was all I could do to contain myself and not confront them regarding their rudeness. What is the best thing to do ?? Obviously a confrontation with another passenger might not be the best thing to do .... I should have taken a minute and spoken to the

staff member privately, with an explanation that the majority of passengers are not rude and arrogant. !

7. Waiters in the buffet, would take your plate when you came out and helped you find a table. They were eager to make sure you had something to drink, even if that meant going to get you a soda from the bar. One waiter went back to the buffet for me to get me catchup that I forgot.

DW and I noticed that in 2010 when we sailed on the Crown. We thought was that a nice touch, especially since we're only in our early 60s and hopefully don't look as if we needed help. :) We were surprised when that level of service did not happen on the Grand this year. Not complaining, just noticing a difference between the staffs. Again, just an observation. We very much liked the overall experience on the Crown.

Jim

"4. Bar tenders throughout the ship were exceptional!"

I wanna go on a cruise with you M&M! Sounds like you got to be served by each and every one of the bar staff. Great effort!

Am I misreading your response as a dig? I drink an insane amount of soda and hit nearly every bar throughout the week; therefore, my observation that I received excellent service at bars throughout the ship is valid. I apologize if I am mis reading your statement to be sarcasm. I also never claimed "each and every one". I simply made the statement that the bar tenders throughout were exceptional and they were.

I think some people go on a cruise wanting perfection and looking for trouble every step of the way. I'll never forget a woman at the muster drill on our 2010 Ruby spring TA complaining that it was "the worst cruise she was ever on", and that she was going to "demand a meeting with this Mr. Tony who must be a very new captain" and get things straightened out. She was referring to Capt. Yeomans, one of Princess' top captains who is certainly not a new captain.

Furthermore, how bad could things be that she had made that judgement before we even sailed--did one of the crew throw her overboard???

That's actually funny...I believe Capt Yeomans is actually one of the longest serving Captains - and he married us so I am extra fond of him! It really must be exhausting to be so miserable!

sadly, I wouldnt have even thought to ask :(...checked my final billing and we did get credits for port fees. That is a reasonable request. If Im not mistaken, the woman complaining meant a credit on the cruise fare, but I like giving people the benefit of the doubt, so maybe she meant the port fees. Good catch!

I guess you didn't realize that people are entitled to the port charge refund when a port is skipped. There was an $18 P/P given since you skipped Princess Cays & the woman was entitled to her money either from Princess or her TA.

Hi happy cruiser...as u can see from my follow up post above, I believed the passenger meant cruise fare, not port fees. Her attitude that her cruise was ruined for not being able to go to the private island is ridiculous. I'm sorry you disagree. And as a side note...$18 bucks isn't worth the energy to fight the cruise line for...it will only make the one arguing for it upset. Thankfully they gave everyone the credit without asking.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Just wanted to share my experience on the crown. I have sailed princess, ncl, carnival and royal Caribbean and honestly have always received great service on each one. Not that sailings weren't without incidents, just overall great service. I'm a happy cruiser for sure and can't wait for the next!

Fritzg....that is crazy...at the muster drill? Lol. That tops my story for sure! Lol! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks everyone for the responses. Just wanted to share my experience on the crown. I have sailed princess, ncl, carnival and royal Caribbean and honestly have always received great service on each one. Not that sailings weren't without incidents, just overall great service. I'm a happy cruiser for sure and can't wait for the next!

Fritzg....that is crazy...at the muster drill? Lol. That tops my story for sure! Lol! Thanks for sharing!

Just to share my observations over several years of cruising. Have any of you noticed that the polite passengers get much better service than those who belittle the crew ?

The people who work on ships remind me af a large family in a small town.

You may get by with being rude or impolite to one of them, but word spreads rapidly and soon, you will experience subtle differences in your service. Some you may not even be aware of unless you are very observant.

It pays to be nice to these wonderful "kids".

Just to share my observations over several years of cruising. Have any of you noticed that the polite passengers get much better service than those who belittle the crew ?

The people who work on ships remind me af a large family in a small town.

You may get by with being rude or impolite to one of them, but word spreads rapidly and soon, you will experience subtle differences in your service. Some you may not even be aware of unless you are very observant.

It pays to be nice to these wonderful "kids".

Totally agree. I bet the conversations by the crew are funny.

I was also on the 2nd leg of the Crown Princess cruise and like others I found the passengers extremely rude, not only to crew but to other passengers. My experience was at the pool on one of the few sunny days, I was out early in the morning, scoped out a nice quiet, unclaustrophobic spot, and was excited for a day in the sun. A few hours later someone came up wanted me to move for her and her husband, which would have put me against the side of the ship and very claustrophibic. I challenged her and gave her the reasons why I wasn't going to move and she proceeded to swear at me for not moving. Shocking? you better believe it. Guess she should get to the pool earlier!

Otherwise an excellent time!:)

I was also on the 2nd leg of the Crown Princess cruise and like others I found the passengers extremely rude, not only to crew but to other passengers. My experience was at the pool on one of the few sunny days, I was out early in the morning, scoped out a nice quiet, unclaustrophobic spot, and was excited for a day in the sun. A few hours later someone came up wanted me to move for her and her husband, which would have put me against the side of the ship and very claustrophibic. I challenged her and gave her the reasons why I wasn't going to move and she proceeded to swear at me for not moving. Shocking? you better believe it. Guess she should get to the pool earlier!

Yikes! people just get mad because they cant control you.

We must have met the same person. ;) We got on an elevator with 2 women already aboard with 2 crew members & a small cart they were transporting. She was totally upset that she had to move to the back of the elevator to make room for any more passengers. She commented to my wife "you know there are people already on this elevator". Ya gotta laugh at times.

At least we only meet such people on the cruise for a couple of minutes - THINK ABOUT living in the same road or block of apartments as someone like that? Or worse having them as relations:(:)

At least we only meet such people on the cruise for a couple of minutes - THINK ABOUT living in the same road or block of apartments as someone like that? Or worse having them as relations:(:)

If cruising is the most stress free and relaxing holiday experience...imagine what they must be like when they are not on a cruise....:eek:

Thank heavens they are such a small minority of the people you come across.

Sue

Had an experience on our Emerald Cruise in February very much like this one. The rude people were seated right across the aisle from me and I watched all this arrogance go on. It was all I could do to contain myself and not confront them regarding their rudeness. What is the best thing to do ?? Obviously a confrontation with another passenger might not be the best thing to do .... I should have taken a minute and spoken to the

staff member privately, with an explanation that the majority of passengers are not rude and arrogant. !

Best not to confront them on their lack of manners. Bad thing is these people will complain about the staff and give bad marks on the post cruise survey. If it is really over the top, you might want to chat with a manager to let them know the complaint likely to come is not valid.

I think some people go on a cruise wanting perfection and looking for trouble every step of the way. I'll never forget a woman at the muster drill on our 2010 Ruby spring TA complaining that it was "the worst cruise she was ever on", and that she was going to "demand a meeting with this Mr. Tony who must be a very new captain" and get things straightened out. She was referring to Capt. Yeomans, one of Princess' top captains who is certainly not a new captain.

Furthermore, how bad could things be that she had made that judgement before we even sailed--did one of the crew throw her overboard???

Sad but so true. Some people are so bitter about life in general, I truly feel sorry for them. I try keep them as far away as possible.

Most humerous complaint I ever witnessed: It was boarding day. We were in the HC. This couple came in and cornered a HC manager right next to us. The guy proceeded to express righteous indignation about the change to HC operating hours. The poor manager tried to respond but the guy just kept complaining about the change. Gave his Captain's circle status (which I forget) and said this change would result in his no longer sailing with Princess! Then, after putting forth all of this effort to voice his displeasure and threaten to leave Princess, he says it doesn't really matter to him because he only eats in the dining rooms! My wife was kicking me under the table for laughing so hard. When the gentleman left, the staffer looked at me with a smile and a shrug -- some folks are indeed habitual complainers.

Totally agree. I bet the conversations by the crew are funny.

I could write a book !!!! After you get to know them, it is very entertaining !!:D

So true. I have quite a few friends on board, and yes, some of the stories are very entertaining. I'm glad they can keep their sense of humor. I'm not sure I could in their shoes, but I guess you'd have to in order to put up with some of the things the crew put up with. As another poster said, just roll with the punches....

So true. I have quite a few friends on board, and yes, some of the stories are very entertaining. I'm glad they can keep their sense of humor. I'm not sure I could in their shoes, but I guess you'd have to in order to put up with some of the things the crew put up with. As another poster said, just roll with the punches....

I have had a lot of fun listening to some of their stories.

They keep their sense of humor by one simple motto ==== All cruisers make the crew happy -----Some by coming, and some by leaving !!

Good thread , thanks. Unfortunately no matter where we go in this world there are going to be people that are selfish , thoughtless, and unkind. When you are on a cruise ship you just seem to see them more often , because you are on a ship. My hat is off to the hardworking crew that put up with some of these crabby/crappy people. We always try to make friends with our room steward and any other crew we meet on board, and treat them with kindness and above all respect. It makes our cruise even more fun. Some passangers just feel that they are entitled to anything they want anytime, regardless of other people. But we just have to put up with them until they make it legal to toss crabby/crappy people overboard. :)

Cori

Archived