Pompeii VS Herculaneum

Matcodixon

Ok, The more I read the more I am undecided. We will have enough time during our day at the Port of Naples to visit one of these sites but not both, due to the other places we also want to visit as well that same day.

For those of you that have been to both, please respond with your recommendation and a reason or two as to why.

Thanks in advance.

I don't think I'll recommend one over the other, because they are both great places to visit. Here's some things to consider. You don't mention whether you would be traveling on your own or with part of a tour. So some of these things may be impacted by that choice.

Pompeii - larger, more spread out. Think a small town. You probably won't see every street/building unless you were to stay all day. But one does not need to see all streets/buildings either. Many of them are not significant. But if you hit the major stops that most tours guides and books suggest, you can easily walk a mile or two as you traverse the site. The ruins are more ruined, for lack of a better word. Has an arena to view. More crowded because it's more popular probably because it's more historically known. Well worth going and I think everyone should see it at least once. I've been there twice for 2-3 hours each time. On a 2-hour stop with a guide, they might not even take you down to the far end where the arena is due to time. If on your own, I would allow 3-4 hours if you really have a historical interest. About a 20-30 minute train ride from central Naples. About a 3 minute walk from the train station. Very flat location with lots of rocky steps and roads.

Herculaneaum - smaller in size, more compact. Think a few city blocks square. Some of the structures are more intact and less ruined. Easy to explore all streets/buildings in 2-3 hours. Less crowded. Get there early enough and you might have the place to yourself almost (depending on months, I'm sure). About 15 minutes train ride from central Naples. About 10 minute walk from the train station. It's a slight uphill walk on the way back. Also rocky steps and roads.

That's my take on the two. If forced to make a decision. I'd probably go with Pompeii for a first time trip to Naples due to the historic significance of it. But either one is s good choice.

Perhaps you already read this, but I just posted on the issue of Herculaneum vs. Pompeii earlier today:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=33591076&postcount=27

Like the other responder, I agree it shouldn't be a "versus" question; they are both great sites and both worth seeing. Only you can judge what your time and interest levels are.

If you want to really study up before Pompeii, read "Fire of Vesvius". It will give you a great understanding of life in Pompeii the day of the big one.

We went to Pompeii on our first Naples trip and plan on going to Herculaneum in 2013 on our second Naples visit.

Thanks for the feedback so far.. I am leaning towards Pompeii for the historical significance, but I like the idea of smaller crowds. Still undecided.

Cruisemom, I really like your post. You are becoming one of my most trusted reference persons on the European board.

Thanks for the feedback so far.. I am leaning towards Pompeii for the historical significance, but I like the idea of smaller crowds. Still undecided. Cruisemom, I really like your post. You are becoming one of my most trusted reference persons on the European board.

Ok, The more I read the more I am undecided. We will have enough time during our day at the Port of Naples to visit one of these sites but not both, due to the other places we also want to visit as well that same day. For those of you that have been to both, please respond with your recommendation and a reason or two as to why. Thanks in advance.

Excellent question on Pompeii versus Herculaneum. Yes, Cynthia is super good with her great, expert information.

For us, fortunately, we had four days in this spectacular area in 1999. We saw Pompeii, Capri, Sorrento, Positano, etc. at that time. From my wife and the other couple who traveled on this June Med 2011 trip with us and had seen Pompeii previously, the clear conclusion is that Pompeii as the more famous city would be our first choice if we had not visited the area previously. Why? Pompeii was a much larger and more diverse city. Pompeii is so unique and historic. It gives you a keen insight about how people lived and operated during that long-ago era. My most memorable moment was in walking into Pompeii and noticing certain grooves in the stone pavement. I asked what caused that. Our guide replied: "That's from the chariots." WOW! It became very, very visual for where we were walking and what had happened here . . . so long ago!!

There is more to see there and a wider range of options, including BOTH residential and commercial stores/shops/services. That included Pompeii's house of "ladies" or women who offered, commercially, the men different "positions" for "services", etc. You know what I mean, right? In visiting this brothel house, our guide pointed to the seven different visuals on the wall that provide "customers" a choice on what position they wished to choose. They needed to use visuals there as sailors from all of the world visited Pompeii and its port in that era. They didn't speak the local language. The visuals solved the translation challenges. Our guide in 1999 said on one of the wall visuals that it was the "Monica Lewinsky position". He noted that people from all over the world touring this site knew what that phrase meant, regardless of their language spoken. Interesting!!!

Another unique part with Pompeii was seeing some of the bodies that were "frozen" in place when volcano erupted and they died. You could see the facial experience at the time of that tragedy. The downside with Pompeii is that it is much more crowded and busy. Our 1999 visit to Pompeii was not too crowd for us, but it can get hot and busy there, especially during the summer and with multiple large ships in port.

Herculaneum was a nearby, smaller luxury resort town for the elite of the Roman empire. Very interesting and a nice "matched set", having already seen and done Pompeii. Only about a third of the total site has been opened up as the other above it areas are covered over by current housing/suburbs of Naples. Our guide there and pictured below was named Carmine. He was wonderful in his details and background for this seaside resort dating back to the 4th century BC. The city was thought to have been founded by or named for the legendary Hercules. This elite Roman resort was devastated by the same volcanic eruption that buried Pompeii in 79 AD. Unlike the ash and lava that devastated Pompeii, Herculaneum was covered by a torrent of mud, which protected the ruins from atmospheric agents and illegal excavators. The site was discovered by accident in the early 1700's when a well was being dug and workmen struck a stone pavement, the stage of the city's theater. Serious excavations began under Mussolini but only about eight blocks have been excavated. The rest is covered not only by rock but also by this dense, modern neighborhood. On a typical day, Pompeii will have 12,000 visitors, while Herculaneum will have 800-1200 a day. Herculaneum is closer to Naples, but does not have the train station that drops you right there at the main entrance.

Below are a few Pompeii pictures from our 1999 visit and last June at Herculaneum.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 77,582 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here are some samples of what we saw in Pompeii with our guide. There are a wide variety of buildings, interiors, art and architectural objects, etc. Very interesting and super historic!!!:

PompeiiOne.jpg

PompeiiTwo.jpg

PompeiiThree.jpg

We are getting ready to enter Herculaneum's main market area and this is part of the overall view for this section of the super historic town.:

HerculMainPlazaEntering.jpg

This is the interior of the temple or religious area at Herculaneum used by local residents there.:

HerculRelTempeInterior.jpg

This picture gives more of the overall, cut-away view for one side of Herculaneum that would have faced the waterside area.:

HerculOverviewGroundCutaway.jpg

If you go to Pompeii get the little book "Pompeii Reconstructed". You can buy it in the gift shop or at many street vendor carts-do not pay more then 10E or so though-some will jack up the price. It has pictures of Pompeii today with overlays of what the original structures may have looked like. It really is interesting and it makes the place come alive-especially if you are touring on your own. There is a Rome Reconstructed book too!

Thanks again for the feedback. Terry, your post and photos are great and very much appreciated!

We are leaning towards Pompeii. I guess we will have to schedule a return trip to see Herculaneum.

There is so much to see and this is our first trip to Europe. The more I research, the more I realize that a day in each port will only scratch the surface of what is there. Problem is that this work stuff keeps getting in the way of my vacation time! :(

Still the cup is at least half full!:)

Thanks again for the feedback. Terry, your post and photos are great and very much appreciated! We are leaning towards Pompeii. I guess we will have to schedule a return trip to see Herculaneum. There is so much to see and this is our first trip to Europe. The more I research, the more I realize that a day in each port will only scratch the surface of what is there. Problem is that this work stuff keeps getting in the way of my vacation time! Still the cup is at least half full!:)

YES! Very wise comments. You can only see so much during these one-day stops in so many of these great Italy and Med port stops. Appreciate your kind comments on my pictures. Keep the good questions and great research rolling along.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 77,913 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Thanks again for the feedback. Terry, your post and photos are great and very much appreciated!

We are leaning towards Pompeii. I guess we will have to schedule a return trip to see Herculaneum.

There is so much to see and this is our first trip to Europe. The more I research, the more I realize that a day in each port will only scratch the surface of what is there. Problem is that this work stuff keeps getting in the way of my vacation time! :(

Still the cup is at least half full!:)

The good thing about that is you are finding out early on that you want to make more trips. At least, that's what I keep telling myself. I basically work to feed my travel addiction.

Archived