Tampa-Southwest connecting flight time

rxnrn

We will be flying Southwest from FLL to Tampa to Indianapolis after our cruise. The flight is scheduled to take off from FLL at 415pm and land in Tampa at 515pm. The connecting flight to Indy is at 6pm. Should I reschedule since it is only a 45 minute turnaround? Has anyone done this schedule?

You might say what you would reschedule to, so people could judge (ideally based one experience). The only other flight about the same time on Southwest seems to be one departing FLL at 5:30 p.m., with a 70 minute connection at MDW. You do get connection time, albeit at a busier airport (more possible delays? what time of year?) and with a later arrival at IND.

We too, have had connections going through Tampa on Southwest. We have never had to change terminals, and usually just a gate or 2 away. As long as your first flight is not late, you shouldn't have any problems. Possibly, if there are many passengers on your first flight connecting to your Indiannapolis flight, SW may hold that flight. I would feel ok about only a 45 minute layover.

We too, have had connections going through Tampa on Southwest. We have never had to change terminals, and usually just a gate or 2 away. As long as your first flight is not late, you shouldn't have any problems. Possibly, if there are many passengers on your first flight connecting to your Indiannapolis flight, SW may hold that flight. I would feel ok about only a 45 minute layover.

How would you feel about a 30 minute layover? Southwest has a flight from Ft. Lauderdale to Tampa which they link to a flight 30 minutes after landing in Tampa from Tampa to Kansas City. I called Southwest and was told it would be okay. It seems really tight to me but the woman I talked to said the gates would be close together. I've never been to Tammpa so I don't know anything about the airport there.

Thanks for everyones insight! What I won't do to not pay a luggage fee:D

I look at the botton line. Sometimes Southwest is cheaper overall and sometimes not, even with no baggage fees for the first two bags. But if the schedule works for you, great.

For the person with the 30-minute connection time: I'd look to see if there are other options should you miss your connection (including form your starting point, if the agent at check-in knows that your first flight is delayed). Remember, people here can just give their best guesses, often based on experience. No guarantees.

My experience with Southwest has been that short times between flights are less important than with other airlines. Southwest, barring weather, holds to its scheduled times, and almost literally will stuff passengers in seats to make up time. Southwest, unlike other airlines, will also delay a flight to ensure connections. I would not be too nervous in Tampa, which is a small airport.

My experience with Southwest has been that short times between flights are less important than with other airlines. Southwest, barring weather, holds to its scheduled times, and almost literally will stuff passengers in seats to make up time. Southwest, unlike other airlines, will also delay a flight to ensure connections. I would not be too nervous in Tampa, which is a small airport.

So....which is it? Or is this have your cake and eat it too?

You can't delay flights for passengers AND hold to a schedule.

Or is this more of "Southwest can/does everything".

Not Tampa, but I had a 30-45 minute layover in Denver on a Southwest flight from Las Vegas to Philadelphia. You just better be ready when you get off the plane to check the monitors and find out which gate your next flight is going to. You barely have time for a bathroom break or snack stop, so don't expect to do anything but find your next flight and get in line.

Archived