Calling all diabetics, please!

Cathy p

I have just found out that I have Type 2 Diabetes. So far I am on a 90 day loose weight and control my diet unless I feel bad then it is on to pills. My meter and all the stuff to check my sugar will be delivered today.:(

Right now my sugar was 160 so can you all tell me do you do on a cruise other than give up deserts with sugar?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

More than just watching desserts , watch out for carbs at all meals ,which turn to sugar.(yes, even the sugar free desserts may be loaded with carbs).

Portion control (avoid the buffets) works very well and of course exercise .Even just walking (a lot) especially laps around the promenade deck. Then of course the gym .

Good luck in getting it under control with weight loss to avoid the pills .

Also, congrats on getting yourself diagnosed before it goes too far. Many

don't know (or don't want to know, despite the symptoms they have ) that they have Type 2 .

You are going to get too much advice here, so you might get confused. Just don't go overboard with breads, but don't eliminate them. Many go for sugar free desserts, but some scientists say they are not as healthy as people say, because other ingredients are added to give flavor. As for sugar substitute, avoid Aspartane. The best sweetner is natural Stevia . The highest sugar content veggies are peas and corn. Don't turn your diet into a JOB!! Your blood sugars are going to not be the same twice!! Your blood sugar of 160 is higher than it should be, but not bad.

Cathy,

My husband is an insulin taking Type 2 Diabetic with good control. We are leaving on a cruise in 2+ weeks.

Best advice I can give you is to go see a dietician/nutritionist. He/she will tell you how many carbs you may have at each meal.

Because my husband takes insulin, he is restricted to 45 carbs per meal. We bought a carb counter several years ago (is there an app for that?), and he basically learned the carb counts of his favorite foods.

Carrots, potatoes, pasta, corn, lima beans, English peas - all have carbs along with bread and desserts.

You also need to make sure you have a snack each day. My husband's dietician has him eat a carb (fruit) and a cheese stick (protein) about 2:30/3:00 every day to tide his blood sugar levels over to dinner.

See a dietician who can help you with the changes you can make to be well! :)

I have just found out that I have Type 2 Diabetes. So far I am on a 90 day loose weight and control my diet unless I feel bad then it is on to pills. My meter and all the stuff to check my sugar will be delivered today.:(

Right now my sugar was 160 so can you all tell me do you do on a cruise other than give up deserts with sugar?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You are going to get all sorts of advice from people here who are not diabetic professionals. I also have type 2 diabetes although I control it well with pills.

My suggestion is that you totally ignore anything that anyone says here. I assume that you are seeing an endocrinologist and have also discussed diet issues with a nutritional expert who specializes in diabetes. Ask them a bunch of questions and do what they say.

They are professionals; we are not.

DON

If I'm reading your tag correctly, it looks as though you don't sail until September? If thats the case, that's good...because you have plenty of time to educate yourself on what your personal tolerances are. That's the good news :)

As previously mentioned, type 2 is an individualized disorder. My best advice is to get (prescribed or out of pocket, whichever is applicable) a LOT of strips early on...and test, test, and retest. See which foods/beverages spike you and which ones less so. Then..eat to your meter, so to speak. Some type 2's for example, can eat oatmeal with no issues. Others find it spikes them too high and/or takes too long to return to *normal afterward. Its all a game of numbers... in which your meter will be your best friend.

In a basic sense, simple carbo's are not your friend. How many you can tolerate and still lose weight...will depend on your own personal body. Later, after your weight has stabilized, you may find you're able to tweak that. (weight loss into maintenance mode)

There are many schools of thought on all of this and even the *experts* don't all agree, as you will soon find out. Thats why its important to eat to your own meter and not necessarily what works for others, in terms of individual food items or groups. However, most everyone agrees that, at least early on, avoiding simple sugars or food high on the glycemic index...are ones to be avoided. For example...fruit. Berries are a good choice, as they're high in antioxidant, yet have a lower blood impact than some other fruits.

Not sure what the rule is on linking to outside websites here...so I won't. But I do encourage you to find the American Diabetes Association website (its a dot org)...and find their type 2 message forum. There are many folks there who are very helpful, encouraging and full of valuable advice as questions arise.

Lastly, I wish you all the best in this new life adjustment. By the time your cruise comes around...you will likely have a lot more confidence and you will still have a ball!

Depending on the type of meter you have, you may want to ask for a sharps/medical disposal container for your cabin to get rid of used test strips and lancets. My dad's used test strips end up all over the house because he insists on using the regular trash cans for them and they are so tiny and light they stick to the sides of the can or liner and get knocked about when trying to remove the trash.

WOW, thank you all so very much for the advise. This is so new to me. I have always been able to eat anything and not gain an ounce until recently my back started hurting so excercise was not an option. I am now taking back meds until they figure out what it is.

I have always been a cream, butter and etc eater so this is a really big change for me. My classes start next week and I am so looking forward to all of that. My hubby is retired and does all the cooking so he will take care of me for sure.

Once again, thank you!

This is what I would do:

make an appointment with a dietician to create a menu adjusted to your needs/preference

read Diabetes website for all sorts of advices

diabetics often have issues with feet swelling and feet issues - examine them often

and on a cruise you don't have to give up desserts - I tried sugarless desserts, they taste quite good actually ;)

My dietician told me to eat six small meals a day rather than three normal sized ones. Avoid bananas. If you do eat them, only a half. Portion size for meat is the size of the palm of your hand. Like the above posters mentioned, get plenty of exercise.

I have been on eight cruises and am leaving on my ninth in June, 2012. I have been a Type II diabetic on all of them. I would advise you to take a copy of the menus available on these boards with you to your diabetic nutrition classes and ask them to give you some idea of what to eat. I would also suspect that Carnival would have detailed information on the carb count, sugar count etc. for food items served on their ships if you request them for your nutritionist to review if the nutritionist wants that amount of detail in making suggestions to you. If your nutritionist wants to see the detailed stuff and you have trouble getting it, I would contact John Heald, Carnival's Brand Ambassador, on his Facebook page and ask him to assist in getting the information. He will be glad to help you. Have a great voyage. You will be fine!! :)

Hi!

I am a newbie to type 2 also and going on our first cruise soon!!! :p

My teacher told us we could eat anything a "normal" person could ONLY IN MODERATION! I have lost 14 pounds so far and its only been about a month!

Now at McDonalds - I get a kids meal - instead of a large burger and large fries and it feels me up!!

I was on Byetta and now Victoza and they both surpress hunger - which is great for me!!

Good luck and don't stress - keep your meter near and a snack just in case!! have fun!

First of all, don't eat too much 'sugar-free' dessert. They have carbs which digest down to pure sugar. Avoid 'sugared water' like Coke or orange juice or apple juice.

Avoid 'white foods' - Potatoes, bread, rice, beans, whole grains, all are very high-carb foods that increase your blood sugar.

Lastly, DON'T avoid the buffet! As long as you avoid the high-carb foods you can 'pig out'! (But check your meter 2 hours after)

:) Cathy p .... Don't worry! You can control your blood sugar level without having it totally control you!

I've been a Type II Diabetic for a while now which is rather strange because I've never been over weight nor had a sweet tooth. Unfortunately, I love starchy food. :rolleyes:

Mine is controlled totally by a basic healthy diet. I still use REAL butter (just less and more olive oil) for cooking ... almost always eat only whole grain breads, rice, pastas, etc. .... There's a big difference in simple and complex carbs and the way the body absorbes each.

On cruises I never have a problem ordering off the regular menu! You don't have to totally give up the things you love ... just eat much less of them.

Archived