When Referring to HAL?

sail7seas

Which do you call it?

I always notice when someone refers to HAL, the cruise line, as "Holland".

Most of us say Holland America so I seem to want to blurt out....... Holland is a country. Holland America Line is a cruise line.

Any one else? :D

It's rather annoying, but I've given up correcting people. I think using only part of the name ('Holland') implies a certain level of familiarity, as some refer to 'Vegas' or my own 'Zuidy'.

Sail, I'm on the same page as you. I think 'we' often want to shorten our vocab. ;) as much as possible and so we just drop some words.

I guess we are so into the electronic way of communicating that the spoken language starts to suffer.

It's rather annoying, but I've given up correcting people. I think using only part of the name ('Holland') implies a certain level of familiarity, as some refer to 'Vegas' or my own 'Zuidy'.

I hate when people call it the Zuidy! :D

I don't seem to notice many other DAM ship names being abbreviated: The Veeny/Veenie, Rottie or Eury. Why for the Zuiderdam? ;)

Oh, and Holland is a province, not a country (well, actually a county made up of two provinces) . :D (Now someone will call me picky again...)

I also find it annoying, but think it implies a lack of familiarity. I feel the same way about those who call Royal Caribbean "royal".

Yet is seems OK to say you are going on Norwegian. LOL

I don't seem to notice many other DAM ship names being abbreviated: The Veeny/Veenie, Rottie or Eury. Why for the Zuiderdam? ;)

Oh, and Holland is a province, not a country (well, actually a county made up of two provinces) . :D (Now someone will call me picky again...)

Picky, picky, picky :D LOL

When I have asked Dutch Officers on the ship if the name of their country is The Netherlands or Holland, they answer me: Both

I think they explained that "Holland" technically omits a provence/county whereas The Netherlands includes it. (12 provinces?) (I surely could have that wrong. :o )

HAL's copyright line at the bottom of their main web page refers to "Holland America Line N.V.". N.V. stands for Naamloze Vennootschap which is the Dutch version of something akin to Limited or Incorporated.

To answer your question, "Holland America" or "HAL" will do, but not "Holland" and probably not "HA".

igraf

Which do you call it?

Most of us say Holland America so I seem to want to blurt out....... Holland is a country. Holland America Line is a cruise line.

Picky, picky, picky :D LOL

See!!!

When I have asked Dutch Officers on the ship if the name of their country is The Netherlands or Holland, they answer me: Both

I think they explained that "Holland" omits on provence/county whereas The Netherlands includes it. (I surely could have that wrong. :o )

Yes, even the Dutch refer to it as Holland at times.

The Kingdom of the Netherlands consists of 12 provinces (two of those are North Holland and South Holland) and a couple of islands.

I call it HAL or Holland America.

A pet peeve of mine on this board is people call it "Holland American". That makes me want to hit things.

LOL

Well, at least I am just picky and not violent! ;)

I empathize here too but for another cruise line.

On the X boards they refer to the Silhouette as "silly wet". That's just plain wrong.

Other names that they use I can kinda understand and accept like Connie for Constellation or Millie for Millenium, but Silly Wet???? Ugh!

I empathize here too but for another cruise line.

On the X boards they refer to the Silhouette as "silly wet". That's just plain wrong.

Other names that they use I can kinda understand and accept like Connie for Constellation or Millie for Millenium, but Silly Wet???? Ugh!

Then there is Cunard's Icky Vicky!

Then there is Cunard's Icky Vicky!

When she first entered service there were still two proper Cunard Queens (as in ocean liners), QE2 and QM2, and the Victoria just didn't measure up IMO. I recall that several people called the Vicky "Mrs Brown." ;)

I tend to refer to Holland America as HAL, something I never did before I was on CC. Before that, it was always "Holland America."

When she first entered service there were still two proper Cunard Queens (as in ocean liners), QE2 and QM2, and the Victoria just didn't measure up IMO. I recall that several people called the Vicky "Mrs Brown." ;)

And I am sure when QM2 first entered service the diehards only recognized one proper Cunard Queen and the QM2 just didn't measure up. ;)

And I am sure when QM2 first entered service the diehards only recognized one proper Cunard Queen and the QM2 just didn't measure up. ;)

Yup, my TA and I referred to the two ships as "The Queen" and "The Mary." That was more habit than disrespect for QM2. Over the years Cunard had a lot of ships come and go while QE2 stayed. So she was always "The Queen." I suppose when QE2 entered service, the diehards of that time tsk'd over her modern look, not like "the queens" they knew.

I also find it annoying, but think it implies a lack of familiarity. I feel the same way about those who call Royal Caribbean "royal".
No, they imply familiarity, but it speaks of a lack thereof.

Which do you call it?

It sets my teeth on edge. Especially the posts that begin "Will I enjoy Holland..."

Holland America sounds too formal so many just shorten it to Holland, like they do to Norwegian, Princess, Disney,Celebrity, Royal etc. If someone said they were cruising on/with Holland, I'm pretty sure we all know they mean the cruise line, not the place. Only in later years was it known as HAL. Even though I do call it HAL, I think Holland sounds better...to each his own :)

Archived