?Anyone with helpful info re: Norwegian Fjords Infinity

ILikeShips

We are seriously contemplating the above itinerary for 2013 and totally new to us. How does itinerary compare to other cruise lines? Which airlines best from the east coast to Amsterdam (departure port)? Any other recommendations welcome also.

We are seriously contemplating the above itinerary for 2013 and totally new to us. How does itinerary compare to other cruise lines? Which airlines best from the east coast to Amsterdam (departure port)? Any other recommendations welcome also.

Help us with a little more information. For the Celebrity Infinity in 2013, their sailings all go out of Harwich that is NE of London, not Amsterdam. Many of their Infinity sailings offer these stops in and around the fjords and Norway: Oslo, Stavanger, Olden, Alesund, Geiranger, Flam and Bergen. As you can see in the live/blog noted below from July, 2010, we visited and very much enjoyed Alesund, Geiranger, Flam and Bergen. We visited Oslo in July 2008. Not been to Stavanger or Olden.

Below are a few of my visual samples for only a little of what is there to see and enjoy. Plus more on Bergen. Tell us more about your party size/make-up, budget, ages, personal and travel interests, past Europe travel experience, etc. How much are you interested in history? Countryside vs. cities? Museums, food, art, shopping, nature, architecture, wildlife, etc.? Then, with more detailed information from you, we can make better, more specific suggestions on what best fits your needs and interests.

As the seat of Norway’s medieval kingdom of Norway for six centuries, Bergen is a former Viking stronghold encircled by deep fjords, towering mountains, and sweeping glaciers. Today's Bergen has much of the medieval flavor remaining around Bergen's harbor. We explored the cobblestone streets, saw its pastel-color wooden houses, bargained in some of the many artisans' workshops and visited the famous and always-entertaining Fish Market. You can watch the locals haggling over today's catch and enjoy a quayside lunch of freshly caught salmon or fish and chips.

Rated by Frommers as more scenic than Oslo, Bergen was the base of the medieval Hanseatic merchants. Those historic timbered houses are set around Bryggen or The Wharf, a center for crafts and workshops. Its prime row is mostly reconstructed 14th-century structures, some of which were originally destroyed by fire. Det Hansseatiske Museum depicts commercial life on the wharf in the early 18th century and is highly rates with well-preserved wooden structure. Its art museums are highly-rated with religious icons, local art, etc.

In the afternoon, after some of the big crowds had lessened, we took the Floibanen funicular railway to the top of a 1050-foot high peak for scenic views. This cable car has been operating for over 80 years and was refurbished in 2002. The Funicular Lower Station is situated 150 meters from the Fish Market. At the top of the Mount Floyen, there are hiking trails and places for lunch or dinner. The trip takes seven minutes and both cars are on the same cable going up and down. Mariakirken or St. Mary’s Church is the most outstanding Romanesque church in Norway. Bergen is Norway’s largest port and has a population of 252,000. Scenic Bergen completed our voyage with its dramatic backdrop of seven rounded mountains and cobble-stoned streets. It entices you to take memories and photos cherishing the land of the Norsemen.

Tourism Office: http://www.visitbergen.com/en

Reactions? Keep the good questions rolling along!! Lots of great ideas and people are here on these boards and they are happy to help. Don't be shy!! The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask. Keep researching and planning. It will be very helpful for when you do your actual trip and that experience.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 68,132 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 78,100 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point. This spot allows a nearly 360-degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

This is the super scenic view from immediately above Geiranger that shows the Silver Cloud and Costa ships tendered. A little before this picture, we were to go to Mt. Dalsnibba as a photo stop from this 4,920-foot vantage for the snow-covered surrounding mountains, icy glaciers, crystalline lakes and Geirangerfjord far below. Here is this view, at a lower level, that provided a wonderful vista.:

FjordsFinalPortLongView.jpg

After being tendered from Geiranger, we sailed out and passed by two super famous waterfalls. YES, yes, we saw lots and lots of waterfalls on this trip, but these two were among the “best of the best”. First is the “Seven Sisters”. Directly opposite in this narrow fjord, it is called several names, including “The Suitor”. The majesty for these feats of nature is pretty amazing.:

FjordWaterfallSevenSisters-1.jpg

In Bergen, this was our great vista on this sunny day from the top of the Floibanen funicular railway station and its scenic overview.:

BergenHarborView.jpg

Here’s a close look at these historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. :

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

Right near the Hanseatic merchant warehouse area is the Bergen Fish Market with lots of options to buy food to eat on site or just watch, enjoying the “show” as people ask questions and buy the various fresh fish items.:

BergenFishMktCloseUp.jpg

We did your itinerary + more on a Hurtigruten cruise in 2009. The scenery could not have been more spectacular. The Norwegian cities and towns are very walkable and easy to navigate. Please post your favorite activities and how active you like your day and I'll respond with ideas and comments on specific ports. Your proposed cruise itinerary features some of my favorite places on earth.

Many thanks TLCohio and PNW Traveler, It was wonderful to hear from you. My husband and I are retired, late 60's, have only been to London (briefly) Scotland, and Northern Ireland in 1966. Interests: history, countryside preferred but cities/architecture (ie Washington DC Cathedral) are good as is nature and specialty foods. My husband had major abdominal surgery last Fall. Cruising "fits" in that we think it's less strenuous than moving from different lodgings etc.

In 2007 we did the Celebrity Alaska Cruise-Tour, absolutely super! Then did the rail to Whistler and Butchart Gardens (both add-ons). Loved the ports, easy of walking. Hoping the Fjords might be something like the above in it's own way.

On husbands wish list (but doesn't look too promising with Celebrity,) Normandy Beach, being a WWII history buff. Maybe another time. Your photos have sold us!! Thank you both in advance for your time & efforts. If you have other questions, we're happy to oblige.

We did the Norwegian Fjords from Harwich, including Ireland and Scotland on the Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas...and it was wonderful!! Second best cruise ever (first being our first time in Europe to the Mediterranean on the Millennium).

You will have a great cruise!

Many thanks TLCohio and PNW Traveler, It was wonderful to hear from you. My husband and I are retired, late 60's, have only been to London (briefly) Scotland, and Northern Ireland in 1966. Interests: history, countryside preferred but cities/architecture (ie Washington DC Cathedral) are good as is nature and specialty foods. My husband had major abdominal surgery last Fall. Cruising "fits" in that we think it's less strenuous than moving from different lodgings etc. In 2007 we did the Celebrity Alaska Cruise-Tour, absolutely super! Then did the rail to Whistler and Butchart Gardens (both add-ons). Loved the ports, easy of walking. Hoping the Fjords might be something like the above in it's own way. On husbands wish list (but doesn't look too promising with Celebrity,) Normandy Beach, being a WWII history buff. Maybe another time. Your photos have sold us!! Thank you both in advance for your time & efforts. If you have other questions, we're happy to oblige.

Appreciate the added background and follow-up. If you liked Alaska, you'll super love Norway. In these fjords of Europe, you are more "up close and personal". Normandy WWII beaches are spectacular, too. On this cruise, however, it's hard to make those logistics work easily. Below are three of my pictures from when we were there in 1995. Let us know any added, specific questions as you get closer for your Norway sailing.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 68,216 views.

One of the highlights for Normandy is the WWII landing site at Omaha Beach. This site is beautifully maintained and is very moving.:

WWIICemtCrosses.jpg

WWIICem2Beach.jpg

WWIICemBeaWalk.jpg

Various airlines fly nonstop to Amsterdam. Check United, USair, Delta, KLM Royal dutch airlines, of course depending where you fly from.

We live in the Seattle area and have been to Alaska many times. If you compare the inside passage and Alaska cruise scenery with a Norwegian fjords cruise, Norway wins. I have a fjord photo as the screen saver on my computer - that's how special it is.

Regarding the ports:

Oslo is a city, not a town. It is not congested like many big European cities. You will find Norway clean and tidy. The winters are long so Norwegians love summer. Many buildings have wonderful window boxes with bright flowers. I have three favorite Oslo sites to recommend - the Viking Ship Museum, the Norwegian Folk Village, and Akerhus Fortress. Since your husband has WWII interest, he would like Akerhus. It was the center of the Norwegian Resistance movement. There is a super museum that takes you through the passageways in the old fortress. Norway had a determined and active resistance during WWII. This museum was emotional and very well done. Allow 1 to 2 hours here.

The Norwegian Folk Village is very near the Viking Ship Museum. It has over 140 buildings and is very well done. Since you mentioned your interest in architecture, you would enjoy the Norwegian Stave Church. Norway had (and has) an abundance of forests so it is logical that its most special architecture is made of wood. I think the architecture of the Stave Church is as special as any cathedral in Europe and I salute the Norway government for preserving this church. The Folk Museum has a great cafe for lunch or just a coffee break. You'll enjoy folk dancing, crafts and craftsmen, many styles of country homes and historical buildings, all in an easy to walk park. Allow at least 2 hours here.

The Viking Ship Museum is housed in a Scandinavian Modern building and is an amazing piece of history. You can read about this on almost any travel Norway website. Allow 1 hour here.

Alesund - This is a small town. Architecture here is mostly picturesque wooden buildings in a Norwegian art deco style with bright colors. I took so many pictures while walking around this lovely town that we almost missed the ship's departure. Here I would enjoy walking and find a local bakery for pastries and coffee. Many excursions from Alesund explore the nearby mountains. Take at least one mountain excursion on your cruise so you get the feel of Norway.

Flam - This is a tiny town. It is where the wonderful "Norway in a Nutshell" or "Flamsbahne" has its destination. If you have just one excursion choice this train ride through the mountains that arrives in Flam should be your choice. If you choose not to take an excursion here you can just walk along the little residential streets. We walked on a small road that led out of town past picturesque small farmhouses. The area near the pier is pretty touristy.

Geiranger - A very tiny spot at the head of one of Norway's most scenic fjords. The stop is not so special, but the fjord is the stuff of calendar pictures. From here there are excursions that follow the winding roads above the fjord. Photo opportunities are great and you will remember the views. Norway has subsidized its fjord small farms so you will see real farms much as they were in "olden times."

Bergen - There have been some great photos in earlier posts on this thread. Bergen is picturesque and very Norwegian. Even if you don't like trams, Bergen's tram/gondola is worth your dollars and time. We chose to eat lunch with small seafood snacks from the market as seen in the photos. It was fun. The seafood was fresh and vendors fun to talk with. It's not just tourists shopping here.

Norway does not have a big population. You are always close to beautiful scenery. There are many opportunities to get into the countryside. I would definitely choose this cruise.

What wonderfully informative responses - much appreciated! My husband is very pleased to learn there are some museums/places in Norway acknowledging WWII that we could visit. Will gather more info with all your great suggestions. The Normandy photos are strikingly beautiful and something to cherish since we probably won't be able to get there easily.

These Boards are the best; thank you again. We might have more thoughts/questions as time moves along.

Diane & Bill

What wonderfully informative responses - much appreciated! My husband is very pleased to learn there are some museums/places in Norway acknowledging WWII that we could visit. Will gather more info with all your great suggestions. The Normandy photos are strikingly beautiful and something to cherish since we probably won't be able to get there easily. These Boards are the best; thank you again. We might have more thoughts/questions as time moves along. Diane & Bill

Appreciate, Diane, your nice comments and your husband's great interest in that WWII history in Europe. YES, that Oslo Museum is well worth a visit there. Before visiting Oslo in 2008, I had a chance to have lunch with the former U.S. Ambassador to Norway (2001-2005) and he specifically urged that I visit this Norwegian Resistance museum. Excellent advice!! It really gives you a "personal" feel for what happened during WWII and how it impacted individuals there in that country. Later as we prepared for our visit along the Norway Coast, fjords and Lofoten Islands, I talk more with him and he gave me added background on the current King of Norway. During WWII when the Germans occupied Norway, he lived in the U.S. as his father and grandfather led the government-in-exile from London. He went to the public schools in Bethesda, Md. During a U.S. visit in 2004, the King was at the White House and the President ask him what it was like to return to return to his country after that war exile. The King said he left his country as only a three-year-old and did not really remember Norway at that young of an age. So, “going home” for him was totally different than what most experienced during that period and was a unique kind of emotional experience for him. The King is an Oxford grad and is an avid sailor (being an Olympics participant and winning championships). The German occupation was harsh on Norway and the former Ambassador gave me added historic details on how that strong resistance played a role and impacted during the war.

Also: As you sail into and/or out of Oslo, you will go by the point where the German cruiser, Blücher, which carried the main forces to occupy the capital, was sunk in the Oslofjord on the first day of the invasion. Read up on that interesting WWII history on what happened there and how it allowed added time for key Norway officials to escape the Germans.

If you you any added details on Oslo and/or the Norway Coast, let us know.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 68,546 views.

This picture shows the main, historic fortress next to where many cruise ships dock in Oslo. The fortress construction started around the late 1290’s. The very interesting Norwegian Resistance museum can be visited there. Norwegian Royalty have been buried in the Royal Mausoleum in the castle. A portion of this fortress was replicated at the Norway pavilion at Disney’s Epcot Center.:

1A-Oslo-Harbor-OldFortress.jpg

ILikeShips,

if you could do a b2b and combine Norway with the British Isles, one of the stops on the BI cruise is Le Havre. One of the optional trips from there is to the Normandy Beaches which is stunning and heartbreaking.

Archived