Kindle Fire for WiFi on Board?

magandab

Based on another thread where it was stated that there could be some difficulty in connecting to the Oodam's wifi with an iPad, I'm rethinking my technology packing. Does anyone know if the Kindle Fire can connect to the ship's WiFi without trouble?

Thanks for any advice. I'm trying to pare down the number of items and the weight so wanted to take one device to serve both purposes.

My wife had only minor problems connecting with her iPad on Oosterdam in January. I tried my iPhone and had to go down the hallway closer to the router output to get a decent connection. On my laptop I had no problem at all other than the slow speed.

I always bring my net book but I also bring my nook color and have accessed the ships' internet with no problems on the ship with it. Oddly I was actually getting a better connection in our aft cabin with my nook compared to the net book. I think you should have little to no problems with your kindle fire.

Based on another thread where it was stated that there could be some difficulty in connecting to the Oodam's wifi with an iPad, I'm rethinking my technology packing. Does anyone know if the Kindle Fire can connect to the ship's WiFi without trouble?

Thanks for any advice. I'm trying to pare down the number of items and the weight so wanted to take one device to serve both purposes.

Connecting should not be a problem with your Fire. As stated, it is an Android-based tablet and will support ship's WiFi without trouble. Remember you'll have to log in to your ship's WiFi account to use it and remember to be sure you log out of your account when you are through using it. Some say there is a time-out feature for this (I've read 2 and 3 minute idle time outs); this may be true but I've never encountered it onboard myself. I'd ask the Internet Manager onboard this feature.

I always bring my net book but I also bring my nook color and have accessed the ships' internet with no problems on the ship with it. Oddly I was actually getting a better connection in our aft cabin with my nook compared to the net book. I think you should have little to no problems with your kindle fire.

We've also had the same experience with the reception in an aft cabin. We could no connect from our aft cabin with the netbook, but could with the Kindle Fire.

Lisa, hope you have a great cruise! We'll meet up with you next year on the "Z" with Diane (Legalslave) and our spouses!

Ken

Thanks everyone. The Fire it is. I normally take a Kindle and a Netbook, but this time it's just the Fire. We're flying Qantas and while we can check two pieces of luggage, and carry on two, our carryon weight limits are 15 pound per piece. Not a lot of wiggle room there.

We have taken Ipads with us on many HAL cruises and never had any problems with connectivity. The ships don't have a strong signal in all parts of the ship but if you are where there is a strong signal the Ipads connects quickly. It is also much lighter to carry off the ship to connect in the many free WIFI locations. I wouldn't be worried about the ipad vs a pc connecting to the internet aboard a HAL ship.

I am no expert but on the world I Used the I Pad in the Lido and it was FANTASTIC. good luck and happy sailing AlsaS

Could I check my AOL mail with a Kindle Fire on the ships?

Our cabins are always near Neptune and sometimes I have to leave the door open to get a signal on my netbook but sometimes can get one through the closed door.

Could I check my AOL mail with a Kindle Fire on the ships?

Our cabins are always near Neptune and sometimes I have to leave the door open to get a signal on my netbook but sometimes can get one through the closed door.

Yes, you can do webbrowsing on the Fire, so would just go to www.aol.com and sign in for your mail. They are really nifty little gadgets.

We are booked in 6060 on the Oodam in November/December and I understand, from another thread, that our reception should be pretty good there.

Yes, you can do webbrowsing on the Fire, so would just go to www.aol.com and sign in for your mail. They are really nifty little gadgets.

We are booked in 6060 on the Oodam in November/December and I understand, from another thread, that our reception should be pretty good there.

mail.aol.com is a better address as it takes you straight to the login screen. That's one less page to load and thus more time saved.

Please forgive this question but I"m technology illiterate-- when you say you are able to connect via wi-fi, is this free? Or do you pay the ship for that (as you do for "wired" internet service"?) And if you have to involve the ship's internet people, would there be a charge for that?

I have a Kindle am am considering the KindleFire primarily because of it's web surfing ability, but really don't understand the connection thing at all! :o

mail.aol.com is a better address as it takes you straight to the login screen. That's one less page to load and thus more time saved.

That is the address I use as you're right.... it skips a slow loading of yet another page.

Of course, if I have my netbook, I can go right to my account but when using ship's computers, I use the mail.aol.

"Jtl513" posted that tip a few years ago and he saved me tons of minutes.

Please forgive this question but I"m technology illiterate-- when you say you are able to connect via wi-fi, is this free? Or do you pay the ship for that (as you do for "wired" internet service"?) And if you have to involve the ship's internet people, would there be a charge for that?

I have a Kindle am am considering the KindleFire primarily because of it's web surfing ability, but really don't understand the connection thing at all! :o

No, it is isn't free.

You can buy a package if you wish:

100 minutes for $55 plus start up charge of $3.95

250 minutes for $100 plus same start up charge.

By the minute is very costly and I think something like 75 cents per minute.

Service is slow on the ships an sometimes feels like the old dial up slow speed.

One of those things you never think of until someone points it out; then you slap your forehead and say "Of course!". Thanks a million! Which is about how much it will save me on board!

No, it is isn't free.

You can buy a package if you wish:

100 minutes for $55 plus start up charge of $3.95

250 minutes for $100 plus same start up charge.

By the minute is very costly and I think something like 75 cents per minute.

Service is slow on the ships an sometimes feels like the old dial up slow speed.

And, I think they still offer some bonus minutes if you sign up the first day or two.

And yes, the speed (if I can use that word) is teeth grittingly slow!

And, I think they still offer some bonus minutes if you sign up the first day or two.

And yes, the speed (if I can use that word) is teeth grittingly slow!

You're right.

If you sign up the first day, you get 10 bonus minutes for the 100 minute package and 20 minutes if you purchase the 20 minute package.

There are sometimes other specials and bonuses during the week and they are advertised in the daily program.

Archived