Old Capers from TSS Carnivale

Looking back at these old Capers from our honeymoon my wife and I have seen a lot of changes in the cruise industry. They sure bring back memories. As much as people complain about modern cruising there is a lot more offered on modern cruise ships but at the same time there was nothing like cruising on an old time ocean liner with its beautiful wood paneling that would creek with every roll and pitch. I miss the old ships.

th_341479566_Capers1a_122_536lo.jpg th_341484523_Capers1b_122_371lo.jpg th_341494539_Capers2a_122_151lo.jpg

th_341499557_Capers2b_122_60lo.jpg th_341503372_Capers3a_122_528lo.jpg th_341508559_Capers3b_122_211lo.jpg

That is awesome. Thanks for posting.

Looks like they were made up on a typewriter!

I was just graduating college in 1985.

I love the $3.00 wine tasting and the Yellowbird drink special for $1.60. :eek:

And all of the shore excursions are less than $25.00. :D

They were indeed typed out and copied on standard Carnival paper.

Thanks I was not on Carnival in 85 but I did sail back then

and this brings back memories

"Horse Races" and the "Midnight Buffet" were BIG

people lined up to take pictures of the Midnight buffet

BUT...just as on the ships I was on, the day time food was slim pickings

unless you went to dining room and there was NO alternative to the dining room...

Notice how it is "early risers" coffee and on deck (like a continental breakfast)...and 2 seatings for breakfast...early and late..

and only a "light" buffet (again like continental)

Notice how the lunch is IN the dining room (open seating)....

and they did have buffet on deck but it was (as i recall) mostly like today's "grill"> hamburgers, hot dogs, cole slaw, potato salad

NO deli, no Mongoolian etc etc etc

Dinner was the main event...and even on the short Bahamas cruises you dressed right and were there on time or you waited till Midnight Buffet

So with cutbacks there are also IMPROVEMENTS

One thing many people (conveniently) forget is how the boarding/debarking process and payment process has been streamlined

People cry about not getting their "docs" in the mail BUT they forget the waiting around we did (or never cruised years ago)

Port of Miami was like a warehouse, Port Everglades was also slow

They had tables and tables of people to check you in with "initials" ..your last name....there were many snafus and if you got in a slow line you waited and waited around

Also the onboard "accounting" was not automated like today, I remember standing in a lot of lines at Purser's office

Notice too >>> big single's party...lots of drinking....

and a one liner about children programs LOL

Not as many kids on board back then and if they were lucky enough to cruise they enjoyed the pool, the beaches on the islands, the movies and magic shows. NO big deal about them LOL

It was fun to cruise back then I must say <grin>

Seeing "horse racing" listed reminded me how much fun this was when we were on a couple RCCL cruises in late 1990s. Is this still an activity on other cruise lines ? If so, I'm surprised they don't have it on Carnival. I sure RCCL was making money from it.

Thanks for sharing this. I love seeing this kind of stuff! I was 21 in 1985 and had never even thought of cruising!

I can't imagine mini buffet 1:30 am?? LOL! I can't stay up that late!

The typewritten Capers seem so ancient, yet I can't be that old :eek:

Ahhh... "Carnivale", the original "Empress of Britain" for CP, and later "Queen Anna Maria" for Greek lines before becoming "Carnivale". They just don't make them like her anymore.

empressofbritain-ship0b.jpg

Of course we all know where Ted Arison got the Carnival logo from, right? To save money he adapted the later Canadian Pacific logo!

cplogos.jpg

Here's the "Empress of Canada", which later became Carnival's "Mardi Gras":

Empress_of_Canada.jpg

Very cool! Thanks for posting.

An interesting tidbit - my husband emigrated from England on "The Empress of Canada", which later became the Carnivale.

Oops - I just Googled it and I got the wrong ship. The Empress of Canada became the Mardi Gras. :o

Sorry guys. Those were printed on a very fine Dot Matrix printer.

I think it's funny the ranting and raving about tips around here when the recommened then was 6.25 a day. They certainly haven't gone up as much as everything else has. :rolleyes: It's only been in the last year it's gone from $10 to 11.50.

Though I started cruising on Sitmar in 1980, my first Carnival cruise was in 1985 on the Carnivale...thought it was awful, and it took me until 2003 to try Carnival again. It is fun seeing the old capers.

Sorry guys. Those were printed on a very fine Dot Matrix printer.

Yes, they were. Now, where was the color "letter head" printed? On board, or on shore? I don't know, just asking. :confused:

Archived