Ship or boat?

In the scheme of things I think it only really bothers professional sailors. A typical cruise ship passenger really could not give a hoot. Being ex Royal Navy we would only ever call a sub a boat.

WHOA! TahoeBob. Outta wine?

LMAO :D:D. Glad I have some in my fridge :p.

So - it is a ship not a boat - it is a cabin not a room - it is deck not a floor - in the scheme of things DOES IT REALLY MATTER ALL THAT MUCH? As long as I am sailing on it they can call it a panoe - whole new story there. Takes alot more than that to raise my hackles - I know what battles to fight and this is not one of them.

After joining CC, I had to use ship language. I was calling a cabin a room and a deck a floor. I must have sounded like an idiot :eek::eek:.

I also cringe and correct the person. I was told that a boat leans into a turn and a ship leans out on a turn, and it's true.
Nope. Depends on type, size and design and the direction you turn! ; -)

So - it is a ship not a boat - it is a cabin not a room - it is deck not a floor - in the scheme of things DOES IT REALLY MATTER ALL THAT MUCH?
It actually does when you are running the ship. Knowing what things are called prevents miscommunication. OK, head prolly is just custom, but lots of other things really do matter.

A Captain explained to me that a ship can carry a boat, but a boat can't carry a ship.
That's it in a nut shell!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKG2PDip7PDeLO1I3bhuUt_h8tidI0DfZVaHmM9cBUD5o756-yeg

LMAO :D:D. Glad I have some in my fridge :p.

After joining CC, I had to use ship language. I was calling a cabin a room and a deck a floor. I must have sounded like an idiot :eek::eek:.

No, you did not sound like an idiot at all - new cruisers generally make that mistake and only the knobs would pointedly correct you as they are so perfect. After being on CC for a while you pick up things and the lingo and correct yourself - you don't need others doing it for you.

I don't care either way, but...........Would call this a ship or a boat? Imagine the people cringing depending on your answer :D

aircraftcarrier8.jpg

Id call that the BUSH;)

I don't care either way, but...........Would call this a ship or a boat? Imagine the people cringing depending on your answer :D

aircraftcarrier8.jpg

I call THAT an aircraft carrier!! So does that make it a ship, a boat or neither?:confused:

I call THAT an aircraft carrier!! So does that make it a ship, a boat or neither?:confused:

Your right it is a carrier and that is a ship. I called it the Bush because it looks like the newest carrier the George W Bush .

Wonder if they wil ever have a nuke powered cruise ship

My dad always refered to the carriers he was on by name. The Lex=USS Lexington, The blue goast= USS Bela-wood, and the Spy ship= USS Kermit Roseavelt. [sp]. He served 28 years in the US Navy. Vet of three wars. RIP Dad. The bathroom was the head, stairs were a ladder, Kitchen was the galley, DR was the mess hall ect. And the names for the food were nicknames I cant list on CC. I guess I was a Navy brat also.

I think of it like the Square & Rectangle thing.

A ship is a boat, but a boat isn't necessarily a ship.

(a square is a rectangle, but a rectangle isn't a square)

Besides...can you imagine the song..

The Looooooooove Ship..so exciting and new...

That brought back nightmares! "This is my rifle, this is my gun, this is for shooting, this is for fun!"

Nightmares? LOL. Way way back in 66 I went though MCRD in 2 Battalion Platoon 2224. R Lee was a DI in the 3rd Battalion at the same time.

Here's me and my worst nightmare 46 years on. I wish the flash had worked but he did sign my book.

http://tacticalfirearms.smugmug.com/Friends/Gunny-Photos/22744640_F3ChHc#!i=1827201041&k=ZWDmNXj

My dad always refered to the carriers he was on by name. The Lex=USS Lexington, The blue goast= USS Bela-wood, and the Spy ship= USS Kermit Roseavelt. [sp]. He served 28 years in the US Navy. Vet of three wars. RIP Dad. The bathroom was the head, stairs were a ladder, Kitchen was the galley, DR was the mess hall ect. And the names for the food were nicknames I cant list on CC. I guess I was a Navy brat also.

I often wondered what the galley was LOL. :) Now I know. :p

I don't know about everyone else but when I hear someone say they are going on a "boat" :confused: its like they have no idea what the difference between a Boat and a Ship is.

My parents own a BOAT but I go on CRUISE ship vacations.

Nothing irks me more.

Know what irks me more? When people refer to the room "stewart". It's like nails on a chalkboard.... I have to sit on my hands to prevent myself from correcting them!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Know what irks me more? When people refer to the room "stewart". It's like nails on a chalkboard.... I have to sit on my hands to prevent myself from correcting them!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

yes that drives me crazy too! I call the ship a ship because that is the proper name. I just like to use proper terms it just seems more respectful. My FIL kept calling the Eclipse a boat because I reminded him once it was a ship, he thought he was getting to me. Nope, whatever, I started calling him my MIL, close enough right? Seriously as long as I am on the ship having fun it's all good!

Nightmares? LOL. Way way back in 66 I went though MCRD in 2 Battalion Platoon 2224. R Lee was a DI in the 3rd Battalion at the same time.

Here's me and my worst nightmare 46 years on. I wish the flash had worked but he did sign my book.

http://tacticalfirearms.smugmug.com/Friends/Gunny-Photos/22744640_F3ChHc#!i=1827201041&k=ZWDmNXj

Thats pretty cool. I didnt know that about him. I know MCRD well. I was on the other side of the fence in 84 @ RTC.

Semper FI

Archived