Ship or boat?

So, when does a BOAT become a SHIP? LOL

I call it a ship most of the time unless I am just talking in fun. As far as room vs cabin, floor vs deck...I know the difference but get caught using both as sometimes I forget I am on a ship because it feels like a big floating hotel. :D with lots of DODs ..and everything else I need paid for. :D

Sometimes you just aren't thinking and say boat, when you know its "technically" a ship. In the long run........will most people know what you are referring too.........Yes, so?

I did however get in an argument with a date once about what the back of the ship was called.

He said Stern

I said Aft

Then I looked it up and apparently Stern is the 'physical' name for the back of the ship and Aft is more of a 'directional' term........so in my mind we were both right.........

But he just kept wanting to tell me I was wrong.........and so I remain single:p

Sometimes you just aren't thinking and say boat, when you know its "technically" a ship. In the long run........will most people know what you are referring too.........Yes, so?

I did however get in an argument with a date once about what the back of the ship was called.

He said Stern

I said Aft

Then I looked it up and apparently Stern is the 'physical' name for the back of the ship and Aft is more of a 'directional' term........so in my mind we were both right.........

But he just kept wanting to tell me I was wrong.........and so I remain single:p

Hah! Yep, anyone worth marrying would have at least called that a tie! lol:p

He said Stern

I said Aft

Well I did it! I went for my dental checkup and was talking to dentist and staff about my cruise and mentioned something about, when I get off the BOAT. I can't believe I said that because I know it is a SHIP LOL! Guess I wasn't thinking, right? :eek::D:p

He said Stern

I said Aft

And both of you live happily everafter !!!:D:D

My 8 year old son who loves cruising calls it the Big Boat. Every day leading up to a cruise he calls me and says "Dad, big boat". I tell him soon! David has down syndrome and is the biggest cruise fan in my house. So, I go with what ever he wants to call it.

My 8 year old son who loves cruising calls it the Big Boat. Every day leading up to a cruise he calls me and says "Dad, big boat". I tell him soon! David has down syndrome and is the biggest cruise fan in my house. So, I go with what ever he wants to call it.

If he wants to call it a boat, then boat it is, and he is correct, it is BIG BOAT.:)

That's so cute! And he's right! I think someone already mentioned that the old Disney ships were called the Big Red Boats.:D

While in the Marines stationed aboard an LPH, we were told by the Navy that you ride on a boat to get you to a ship.

My brother was in the Navy stationed on submarines. According to him, subs are called boats.

While on LPH2 I had a ball telling all them Marines the difference but things changed on Oct 25, 1983. I had a whole bunch fewer Marines to explain it to after that. Lost to many great men that day.

Your brother is correct.

I could care less that the captain might be upset at this, After all I really don't give a ratz azz what the hired help thinks about the boat vs. ship argument.

and that all the captain is, just another crew member whose job it is to make sure my vacation goes well.

And all you are is another passenger who causes trouble and can be replaced by many other even in the middle of a cruise. Try replacing a Captain in the middle of a cruise. Also if there is trouble I hope you do not rely to much on "the hired help" because by then they may not give a ratz azz about you.

Archived