Ship or boat?

I see so many folks call the the ships a boat.

I was told by a crew member early on in my cruising history that saying this is a no no, and we cruise on ships not boats. So now every time I see/hear someone say BOAT, I cringe a little.:eek::p

Anyone else think this way? No point, just curious.

I see so many folks call the the ships a boat.

I was told by a crew member early on in my cruising history that saying this is a no no, and we cruise on ships not boats. So now every time I see/hear someone say BOAT, I cringe a little.:eek::p

Anyone else think this way? No point, just curious.

Nothing irks me more.

Nothing? Really?

I think some say it just in fun. Most of us know.

What's the big deal?

The only one I can see really being upset by this might be the captain.

Okay....you are right. When I open the fridge and my last bottle of wine is empty....NOTHING irks me more....:D:D:D

While in the Marines stationed aboard an LPH, we were told by the Navy that you ride on a boat to get you to a ship.

My brother was in the Navy stationed on submarines. According to him, subs are called boats.

Does it really matter? We all need to lighten up and have fun!!!

Nope, it doesn't matter...Boat, ship...they both float on the water and they both provide endless hours of Fun!!!:rolleyes:

Does it really matter? We all need to lighten up and have fun!!!

Nah, in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter at all, but had I KNOWN I would have preferred to call the "boat" a ship when speaking to that crew member 25 years ago. He made me feel a tiny bit embarrassed and maybe another newbie would like to know the proper term as well. If they still want to call it a boat, at least they know, right?

A car is a car, truck is a truck, boat is a boat, ship is a ship, etc...

Nope, it doesn't matter...Boat, ship...they both float on the water and they both provide endless hours of Fun!!!:rolleyes:

I have been with a few women that have provided me with endless of hours of fun but they do not float very well.:D:p

(or your shot record will disappear).

So true:o

4 people you dont piss off.... Your Skipper,DOC, the Spoon(cook) or the DK(paycheck);)

Back to the OP...... when Im on a cruise ship they can call it whatever they want. As long as I have a DOD in hand its all good:D

While in the Marines stationed aboard an LPH, we were told by the Navy that you ride on a boat to get you to a ship.

My brother was in the Navy stationed on submarines. According to him, subs are called boats.

That is because the Navy is really big on tradition. The first few submarines that came out were the size of boat.

I have been with a few women that have provided me with endless of hours of fun but they do not float very well.:D:p

Then I am guessing you must have had the more lifelike fleshy variety vs the inflatable kind..:p

A ship carries a boat. A boat carries a dinghy or Coasties:D

Boarding a cruise a few years ago a teen infront of us was pointing and jumping excitingly, "A Submarine! A Submarine!"

Poor kid, I burst her bubble when I told her those were lifeboats and if they became submarines we'd all be in trouble.

And the first cruises I took when I started in 1984 were on what became known as

"The Big Red Boats". The other lines made fun of Premier Cruise Lines and called them

that, so Premier changed their name and marketed themselves as that way.

They were older ships, but the food and fun were top of the line compared to what

we get today.

Archived