Cruising on the Emerald Princess to the Baltics

workstocruise

For those of you who have taken this cruise out of Copenhagen, can you tell me which side of the ship is the best? Also, did you think having a balcony was important since this is such a port intensive cruise. We usually get a balcony, but it would be nice to save some $$$ for the shore excursions.

I'm just starting to research this cruise for 2013 so please bear with me cause I have lots of questions. One more thing...which month is better, June or August? Thanks.:confused:

The side does not matter. Most of the sailing time is at sea (and at night) and you will not see land.

When you sail up fiords to get to a city, you will need to sail out from them, so what you do not see going one way you can see from another.

And in the ports, there is no way of knowing in advance which side of the ship will face which direction.

It's so port intensive that I don't think it makes any difference whether you're port side, starboard, balcony, oceanview or inside. Chances are, most days, you'll drag yourself back onboard, take a shower, change, have dinner and call it an evening.

We have done this cruise twice, both in the beginning of June, and have had spectacular weather both times. The first time we had an inside and regretted not getting a balcony. The second time we got upgraded from our corner aft balcony :o to the aft most mini-suite on the Dolphin deck. :D

We would come back after a busy day of sightseeing and sit on the balcony during sailaway and drink a glass of wine. I vote yes on the balcony for this particular cruise. It doesn't matter port or starboard, if you don't see it on the way in, you see it on the way out. ;)

We are doing this cruise in June this year. We have cruised in all types of cabins but on this one we specifically picked an inside. We are going in June and we know that it is bascially light most of the time in the land of white nights and we really like ti dark, dark to sleep. We also had been told by many friends that if you do long shore excursions that you are gone most of the days and really won't use your balcony much. We opted to save some dollars by booking an inside and throw in an extra cruise to the Caribbean in the fall in a balcony where you can really enjoy the balcony. I know not everyone will agree but this is what worked for us.

we have been getting balconies since our 3rd cruise and while I would consider sailing without one, dh wouldn't.

However, in the Baltics, not only did we also sit on our balcony at every sail-a-way, we noticed that most of the other balconies were also in use.

we were on the port side, but I think would have enjoyed either side. I can't remember which port we were facing which way, except Warnemunde we were facing the railroad station (and the town)

We went in July, so can't help on June/August, but it was a fabulous cruise.

We did a number of ports DIY, saving on excursions:

Helsinki, Tallinn, Oslo

we also did a tour in Oslo, but should have just diy

enjoy!

St. P, we booked a private excursion, which was well worth every penny (or ruble)

We went in May and chose an inside cabin. We were fine with the inside cabin for two reasons. First it was nice and dark for sleeping as the sun was up until quite late each evening. Second, it was very rainy and quite cold during our cruise and a balcony would have gone unused.

We did this cruise in June two years ago on the Star on the dolphin deck with a balcony. Our cabin was on the starboard side and we could see all the docks from our minisuite balcony. As long as you draw your curtains at night, you should not have any trouble sleeping due to the extended amount of daylight.

Did that Cruise with a balcony cabin. did use it a bit and enjoyed it but when I came back I came to the conclusion that next time I would go for an oceanview. On Caribean cruises I would not go without a balcony.

Our cabin was port side and that is what I would take again. For example in Helsinki, and St-Petersburg se were really port side and could see the activities and customs , bands playing etc and I enjoyed that. I would not have wanted to be on the other side. But,that beeing said, it is such a fabulons cruise, that I believe I would do it in an inside if it meant I could go twice for the same money...! Enjoy your Cruise and do check the John Lawrence info on that Cruise, ( Google him)amazing info, was ourCruise director.

We took this cruise a couple of years ago in August. I agee about it being port intensive, so I'm glad we didn't spend extra money on a balcony, which we would have rarely used. Also the weather was a little cool and we did get some rain ... not balcony weather.

We did this cruise this past July. The side of the ship doesn't matter too much on this itinerary. I would say that port side is the best for sailing out of Stockholm, which is the most scenic cruising you'll have on this trip. Lots of picturesque islands, houses, and harbors in the archipelago, usually on the port side.

Excursions on European cruises can be pricey, particularly the two day ones in St. Petersburg. Personally, I would save the balcony money and put it towards a nice small private tour there. IMHO, European cruises are too port intensive to fully enjoy the balcony.

We did this cruise last August. Had a balcony and enjoyed it everyday. Some days were cool made no difference. Do take a warm jacket. If your going to stay the night before in Copenhagen do find a hotel that includes breakfast. We did not and that breakfast cost a fortune. Enjoy!!

Thanks SailingPiece, downloaded the Lawrence St. Pete book on Ibooks for 6 dollars USD.

Glad I could help. I believe there are also some DVDs.

His port talks were soooo useful. In addition to the information about history,art etc. He told us how to get to places (bus, trains etc) and would show pictures of what the street corners we had to get to looked like, picture of the ticket booth ,so as you got there it already felt familiar. He went as far as to give us for example the time of the last train to take back in Stocholm so we would be sure to be back on bord on time,no need to fond the and guess .The port were shown in repeat on Tv the night before the port and We have saved a picture of me sitting on the bed ,watching it and taking notes for thenext day.

We were on the starboard side balcony in 2010. Coming out of Oslo, we passed by the old fort that sunk the German ship during WW2. If you are going to Oslo, a must see is Frogner park with all the sculptures!

The trip story and pictures are on our website.

• 2 weeks later...

We just finished this cruise and concluded that we would have hated NOT having our balcony. In addition to the long ride through the archipelago to and from Stockholm, you also have the late arrival into Aarhus and the rides through the channels into the various other ports. On our sea days we were fortunate to have sun, and so we lounged in comfort with our wine and room service lunch. Spring for the extra cost- it will add a lot of value to your trip.

And by the way, the night before your entry into Stockholm, leave the drapes open. The early sun will awaken you around 4:00, and you can enjoy the archipelago ride twice that day. You can always sleep the next day at sea.

Archived