insect repellant

bleacher

I have never had to use insect repellent in coastal Alaska but if going inland on an excursion it is not a bad idea to carry some. WalMart usually has two brands of 100% DEET repellent in small plastic pump bottles in their camping supplies area....just don't lick you fingers after applying it.;)

It also depends on you. Personally, I would not go near Alaska (or my daughter's summer camp) without insect repellent. My husband does not care - all the bugs go right past him and head straight for me.

You know what the state bird of Alaska is, don't you? The mosquito!

It also depends on you. Personally, I would not go near Alaska (or my daughter's summer camp) without insect repellent. My husband does not care - all the bugs go right past him and head straight for me.

You know what the state bird of Alaska is, don't you? The mosquito!

Same situation for me:D Mosquitoes will bite me in situations where NO ONE else sees or feels them. We did a fair bit of hiking on our last trip to Alaska (and inland too, Fairbanks and Delta Junction where we were visiting family) and definitely brought DEET with us and used it.

For trips to Alaska, or tropical regions with endemic malaria or other disease, I will use 100% DEET. In my daily life, where mosquitoes don't typically carry diseases like malaria or dengue, I use a much lower concentration of DEET.

Mosquito is also the state bird of Maine and Minnesota, right? :p

Archived