Will we be over dressed on semi formal night?

L & S

We are booked on the Queen Victoria, 24th August for a 4 day break. During that time we have 1 semi-formal night and 3 elegant casual nights. We are 3 ladies in our early 60's and would like to dress up. Will we be over dressed in long dresses for the semi formal night?. We will not be going over the top with ball gowns, but just nice long dresses.! Any advice please :)

Yes, we realise that it is cocktail dresses, but with the absence of a Formal night, which we would have had with a longer cruise, we would still like to take the opportunity to wear long dresses. Just wondered if anyone had been on a four night break and had noticed if long dresses were in evidence. :D

Yes, we realise that it is cocktail dresses, but with the absence of a Formal night, which we would have had with a longer cruise, we would still like to take the opportunity to wear long dresses. Just wondered if anyone had been on a four night break and had noticed if long dresses were in evidence. :D

Go for it!

I've seen many ladies in long dresses on "semi-formal" nights, indeed I've seen men in "black tie" on the same evenings, when the the lack of "sea days" means that there is no official "formal" night.

"You can never be over-dressed on a Cunard cruise"

Have a great time, Bon Voyage!

Thanks for that. We are looking forward to it immensely. I have cruised with Cunard before on the QE2, but that was 6 years ago. Just had a look at your photos and there are some great pics of the old ship.!! :) Shame she is no longer in sevice..

We've just returned from a 3 night on the QV and all paperwork said semi formal. However, the paperwork we had when we were on the ship said semi formal/optional formal.

Lots of people were in long dresses and tuxes and the others were in suits and cocktail dresses. I think on these short cruises both work.

Even on long cruises I always take the days dress code as the minimum standard required not the maximum and dress to please myself.

So if the dress code is casual and I want to wear a cocktail dress I do. Like wise if I wanted to wear a long dress on a semi formal night I wouldn't feel over dressed.

I have been on several mini cruises on Cunard and P&O and have worn long dresses on both.

I hope you have wonderful cruise what ever you choose to wear.

Absolutely Great to Dress for the Night.

You will look great and there will be lots of other ladies with similar dresses and outfits etc.

Cunard is the line if you like to dress up well and you will fit in great.

Thanks for that. We want to make the absolute most of our short cruise. My friends have not cruised before and they are so looking forward to it.

I trust you have warned them of the addictiveness of cruising.;) Phil

Thanks everyone for the replies, I feel much better knowing that we won't 'stand out'.

Yes, I have warned our friends about the adictiveness of cruising and we already have another cruise booked for next year, and are currently planning another. Time just won't go fast enough.!!

Cunard is the only line I've traveled where many people dress up more than than the dress code calls for. On so many non-Cunard ships, the attitude is "what's the minimum effort I can make and still get into the dining room?" But on Cunard, every evening feels like a special event.

So go for it!

We've just returned from a 3 night on the QV and all paperwork said semi formal. However, the paperwork we had when we were on the ship said semi formal/optional formal.

Lots of people were in long dresses and tuxes and the others were in suits and cocktail dresses. I think on these short cruises both work.

We must have been on the same cruise. There was lots of very elegant gowns, cocktail dresses etc and all the men were in jackets or a DJ ~ it was lovely~ so you will not be over dressed what so ever. It did mention on the the literature "Out of respect for your fellow guests the dress code will be enforced. The Lido restaurant provides an alternative for those guest who prefer a more relaxed evening attire"

We are booked on the Queen Victoria, 24th August for a 4 day break. During that time we have 1 semi-formal night and 3 elegant casual nights. We are 3 ladies in our early 60's and would like to dress up. Will we be over dressed in long dresses for the semi formal night?. We will not be going over the top with ball gowns, but just nice long dresses.! Any advice please :)

Go for it. Elegance is never over the top!

I am sure you will be fine in a long dresses :) I am planning on wearing a nice black suit on the semi-formal night and a lighter suit and tie on the elegant casual.

As has been said, Cunard is a line where people love to dress up :)

I look forward to seeing you on board.

I am sure you will be fine in a long dresses :) I am planning on wearing a nice black suit on the semi-formal night and a lighter suit and tie on the elegant casual.

As has been said, Cunard is a line where people love to dress up :)

I look forward to seeing you on board.

Thanks, you have also answered my husbands question. He is also wearing a black suit and then a dark grey for the elegant casual.

Not too long to go now.!:D

Not to offend anyone, but I find Cunard's website most concise when explaining what is appropriate dress for dinner.

I planned to bring a few suits and blazers for semi formal nights and black tie for the formal night.

It isn't too complicated.

Now, what to wear for the five wardrobe changes before dinner throughout the day...that's tough work!

I wore a ball gown on one of the formal nights on QM2. Was a bit hesitant to leave my stateroom, but am glad I did. The only rough spot was an elderly man who stood on my train while waiting for an elevator. All I could do was wait until he moved!

Go for it and have a great time. Wear your dressy clothes with confidence.

I apparently 'sinned' by not wearing a tie on the the 2nd semi-formal night. My wife said the waiting staff were glaring at me as I entered the restuarant. I was oblivious! As compensation I wore a tie on the next casual elegant night.

Art

I travel solo. always in the least expensive cabin,and I am in my mid eighties.

I always wear long dresses, very plain , chemise type, round necks.

For Formal nights I dress them up with flashy necklaces, sparkling stoles and decorative (often matching the dress) evening clutches.

For Semi, often it is the same dress, with more subdued necklace, less flash in the stole and bag

For casual, same style dress but this time with design in the fabric, plain necklace , and plain stole and bag.

I live very quietly when not cruising, no opportunity to dress up, so when on board I want to look like a "Dowager Countess "

Have a truly wonderful time.

Lynn

I travel solo. always in the least expensive cabin,and I am in my mid eighties.

I always wear long dresses, very plain , chemise type, round necks.

For Formal nights I dress them up with flashy necklaces, sparkling stoles and decorative (often matching the dress) evening clutches.

For Semi, often it is the same dress, with more subdued necklace, less flash in the stole and bag

For casual, same style dress but this time with design in the fabric, plain necklace , and plain stole and bag.

I live very quietly when not cruising, no opportunity to dress up, so when on board I want to look like a "Dowager Countess "

Have a truly wonderful time.

Lynn

Thanks for that. If we follow your dress code, I don't think we will go far wrong.!!

I apparently 'sinned' by not wearing a tie on the the 2nd semi-formal night. My wife said the waiting staff were glaring at me as I entered the restuarant. I was oblivious! As compensation I wore a tie on the next casual elegant night.

Art

Even in the QM2's Queen's Grill I have seen a few men without ties on semi-formal night. On one crossing, an assistant M.D. whispered something to three men who entered together but they were seated anyway. On elegant casual nights quite a few men will wear ties and not just in the Grills - a minority to be sure, but a signifcant minority in my experience.

Archived