Strict vegan needs help

bazarr2

:confused:"I am a longtime strict vegan and have to bring my own food with me on trip...s. I see that Carnival cruises offer vegetarian options, but this isn't particularly helpful for me. Can anyone tell me if the food includes vegan options (or if I'm able to look at a detailed menu including ingredients before booking a cruise)? And if not, can I bring my own food aboard? I see that non-alcoholic beverages are allowed on board but can't find any rules/regulations about food. Thanks so much for your help! I'm not looking to bring my own gourmet meals with me. I really just want to make sure I know the rules of what I am allowed to bring.

I don't want to end up in a situation where my food is confiscated and I have nothing to eat all week! "

I'm a vegan, and recently (end of April) cruised on Valor. I've cruised with success on several lines, but my experience on Valor topped them all. I was fed so well that I've just booked the Breeze TA this November, and I'm considering the eastbound Legend TA next April :)

The only food I would suggest bringing on board might be some nuts and dried fruit, but even that isn't necessary. I bring them on every cruise because I tend to get the munches, and prefer to avoid sweets and chips. As far as I know, there's no restrictions on the food you can bring onto the ship, but there are restrictions on what you can take off at ports (for ex., no fresh fruits or vegetables, or unpackaged baked goods), so you might want to bring small packages of your favorite snacks.

Here's some details and hints from my cruise; I hope and expect to have the same success on any future Carnival cruises (and on any other line):

First, be sure to contact Carnival about your diet before your cruise. I think most lines ask that they be contacted at least a month in advance, but I've cruised on shorter notice than that without a problem. My travel agent contacts the cruise line for me, so I'm not exactly sure who you need to write to, but that information should be available on the Carnival site.

Next, on the day of embarkation, meet with the maitre d' and identify yourself as a vegan. They usually have my name on a list, and are expecting me. On Valor, he told me that a meal had already been selected for me for that first night (and he reviewed it with me for my approval), and said that for subsequent nights the asst maitre d' would come to me at the end of the meal with the next night's menu, and review it with me to see which dishes I would like, and if the chef could prepare them vegan.

I liked that I could order off the regular menu, so that my meal didn't stick out from what my table mates were eating, but on other lines where I had a separate menu to choose from I was fine, too. But, don't hesitate to make a special request if nothing on the menu appeals to you (or can be made for a vegan)- they really want to make sure you are well fed and happy! Also, be sure to check both sides of the menu, both the specials for that night, and the 'every day' selections on the left side. The Indian vegetarian selection is not always vegan, but they will be able to provide an Indian vegan selection.

I requested a plate of specific salad vegetables every meal, and also just melon and berries for dessert each night, but they will prepare vegan desserts if you want. You will be able to order the same number of courses as everyone else, and you can also order more than one selection for each course.

For other meals:

I usually only have fruit and nuts for breakfast; there was plenty of fruit to chose from, and usually walnuts and seeds by the jellies and spreads. I didn't ask about the bread, but they will be happy to tell you which are vegan.

Lunch offered an abundance of options! If the next day was a sea day, the night before I was also given the lunch menu to peruse, but I always opted to eat on the Lido deck because I didn't want to eat on schedule, and because I knew I would have plenty to choose from:

In addition to the salad bar selections (which always included garbanzo beans and red beans), you can eat at the Mongolian Wok. I was hesitant to eat there, but when I inquired about it, they showed me that every meal is prepared in a clean wok, with clean utensils. Just be sure to identify yourself as a vegan as you hand over your bowl of vegetables and rice noodles, and tell the chef that you want him to use water not stock to cook your meal.

If you aren't in the mood for Mongolian, but want a hot meal, approach any of the chefs or servers in the Lido area. I found the chefs practically tripping over themselves to prepare something special for me - both times I asked for something special, passing diners asked me how I got my great looking dish :). You have to wait about 15 minutes for your meal to be prepared, but you'll be rewarded with a huge dish of yummy food- once I had whole wheat pasta with vegetables of my choice (I asked for lots of broccoli, and the chef asked if he could add other vegetables, too). Just be warned that you will be given enough food to serve four!

Another option is pizza, which I usually had for a late night snack. I was assured the dough was vegan, and was able to order any size pizza with my selection from the available vegetables. Delicious!

Also, if you don't see a vegetable at the salad bar that you want, ask one of the servers if it is available. Again- be prepared for a huge serving: I asked for olives, and was given a bowlful!

Fresh fruit, including cut melon, and fresh fruit salad, is available at every meal, and during most of the day in Lido. You can also order cut vegetables and fruit anytime from room service.

HTH- and enjoy your cruise!

I'm a vegan, and recently (end of April) cruised on Valor. I've cruised with success on several lines, but my experience on Valor topped them all. I was fed so well that I've just booked the Breeze TA this November, and I'm considering the eastbound Legend TA next April :)

The only food I would suggest bringing on board might be some nuts and dried fruit, but even that isn't necessary. I bring them on every cruise because I tend to get the munches, and prefer to avoid sweets and chips. As far as I know, there's no restrictions on the food you can bring onto the ship, but there are restrictions on what you can take off at ports (for ex., no fresh fruits or vegetables, or unpackaged baked goods), so you might want to bring small packages of your favorite snacks.

Here's some details and hints from my cruise; I hope and expect to have the same success on any future Carnival cruises (and on any other line):

First, be sure to contact Carnival about your diet before your cruise. I think most lines ask that they be contacted at least a month in advance, but I've cruised on shorter notice than that without a problem. My travel agent contacts the cruise line for me, so I'm not exactly sure who you need to write to, but that information should be available on the Carnival site.

Next, on the day of embarkation, meet with the maitre d' and identify yourself as a vegan. They usually have my name on a list, and are expecting me. On Valor, he told me that a meal had already been selected for me for that first night (and he reviewed it with me for my approval), and said that for subsequent nights the asst maitre d' would come to me at the end of the meal with the next night's menu, and review it with me to see which dishes I would like, and if the chef could prepare them vegan.

I liked that I could order off the regular menu, so that my meal didn't stick out from what my table mates were eating, but on other lines where I had a separate menu to choose from I was fine, too. But, don't hesitate to make a special request if nothing on the menu appeals to you (or can be made for a vegan)- they really want to make sure you are well fed and happy! Also, be sure to check both sides of the menu, both the specials for that night, and the 'every day' selections on the left side. The Indian vegetarian selection is not always vegan, but they will be able to provide an Indian vegan selection.

I requested a plate of specific salad vegetables every meal, and also just melon and berries for dessert each night, but they will prepare vegan desserts if you want. You will be able to order the same number of courses as everyone else, and you can also order more than one selection for each course.

For other meals:

I usually only have fruit and nuts for breakfast; there was plenty of fruit to chose from, and usually walnuts and seeds by the jellies and spreads. I didn't ask about the bread, but they will be happy to tell you which are vegan.

Lunch offered an abundance of options! If the next day was a sea day, the night before I was also given the lunch menu to peruse, but I always opted to eat on the Lido deck because I didn't want to eat on schedule, and because I knew I would have plenty to choose from:

In addition to the salad bar selections (which always included garbanzo beans and red beans), you can eat at the Mongolian Wok. I was hesitant to eat there, but when I inquired about it, they showed me that every meal is prepared in a clean wok, with clean utensils. Just be sure to identify yourself as a vegan as you hand over your bowl of vegetables and rice noodles, and tell the chef that you want him to use water not stock to cook your meal.

If you aren't in the mood for Mongolian, but want a hot meal, approach any of the chefs or servers in the Lido area. I found the chefs practically tripping over themselves to prepare something special for me - both times I asked for something special, passing diners asked me how I got my great looking dish :). You have to wait about 15 minutes for your meal to be prepared, but you'll be rewarded with a huge dish of yummy food- once I had whole wheat pasta with vegetables of my choice (I asked for lots of broccoli, and the chef asked if he could add other vegetables, too). Just be warned that you will be given enough food to serve four!

Another option is pizza, which I usually had for a late night snack. I was assured the dough was vegan, and was able to order any size pizza with my selection from the available vegetables. Delicious!

Also, if you don't see a vegetable at the salad bar that you want, ask one of the servers if it is available. Again- be prepared for a huge serving: I asked for olives, and was given a bowlful!

Fresh fruit, including cut melon, and fresh fruit salad, is available at every meal, and during most of the day in Lido. You can also order cut vegetables and fruit anytime from room service.

What a wonderful answer. I was not sure that Op could get what she was seeking but you sure proved me wrong. Kudos to CCL and thanks to you for posting such a thoughtful answer.

For other meals:

You all were a great help, thank you for sharing this. I didn't know that you can ask for things, I will definitely keep that in mind. :p

Why not just splurge for a week? Variety is the spice of life!

You would think that would work but after not eating meat for awhile your stomach changes and to just "splurge" and throw down a 18oz ribeye from the steakhouse would be the end of the cruise. After about 20min I would be on the toilet blowing your "spice of life" 2-3 times an hour until my colon was empty then the "dry heaves outta your a$$" start which last about 3 days, then its only yogurt, toast and bananas for a week while you try get your system back to somewhat normal again.

Vegan, vegatarian isnt something you just turn on and turn off like a fad, people get seriously sick.

Why not just splurge for a week? Variety is the spice of life!

Really? If people have moral reasons for not eating animal products, they don't just splurge. I think your comment was pretty inconsiderate. What if she were vegan for an issue related to health?

Sent from Tapa-Talk. Please forgive my brevity and lack of punctuation.

Wait, you have 8,000 posts and you don't know the answer to this question? Haven't you been on a lot of cruises? Am I missing something?

You will find plenty of vegan options in the buffet. MDR, not so much. You might find a great pumpkin soup or something but it probably has chicken broth as a base. Caesar salad is probably so fake (i still love it) that there are no anchovies but it probably has cheese in it. You should probably go down each day and look at the dimmer menu and if it looks sparse for you, go to the Lido. Of course you can bring a ton of food to hold you over- granola bars and things. I don't think you can bring fruit and veg on, even from the home port.

Good luck to you.

They are in there.

Not whole, but finely diced up in the dressing. I can easily find them and

separate them from the rest and then savor every little salty morsel.:D

Just returned from a Carnival Magic cruise with family, including my niece who is vegan, no dairy and no yeast. She talked to the maitre d afternoon day one and they took it from there - they made her special meals including dessert every evening in the dining room. They told her to trust us, and when they brought her food, the waiter would explain the dish to her and she was very, very pleased with all the meals they prepared for her. There was also more food around the ship including the Momgolian Grill and Indian place she enjoyed. I was very, very impressed with the special service she received, as this was her first cruise and now vows to be a repeat cruiser with Carnival!

:confused:"I am a longtime strict vegan and have to bring my own food with me on trip...s. I see that Carnival cruises offer vegetarian options, but this isn't particularly helpful for me. Can anyone tell me if the food includes vegan options (or if I'm able to look at a detailed menu including ingredients before booking a cruise)? And if not, can I bring my own food aboard? I see that non-alcoholic beverages are allowed on board but can't find any rules/regulations about food. Thanks so much for your help! I'm not looking to bring my own gourmet meals with me. I really just want to make sure I know the rules of what I am allowed to bring.

I don't want to end up in a situation where my food is confiscated and I have nothing to eat all week! "

If it does need to be cooked you might get it on. What did you do on your other Carnival cruises?

I have sailed with a Vegan and they had no problems enjoying every meal... and as mentioned by the above poster find it oh so funny that you didn't know about this with all your Carnival cruises before:confused:

Just put it this way, I lost weight :cool:
Chinese Pandas eat...ONLY BAMBOO SHOOTS.

= not a good idea.

Dietary diversification could help save the Panda

if he came across a situation of zero bamboo shoots available...like on a cruise :D

I also found it weird you've been a long time vegan but had no clue about this since you've been on other Carnival cruises, and you also indicated you lost weight on other cruises, but looking back through your posts I see just this year you were talking about eating crab and within the last year talking about eating conch, seafood and mickey D's so I guess my version of long time vegan and yours is very different.

The Indian Veggie entrees are very good. I have eaten them a lot, my mouth is watering just thinking about it ;)

The Indian vegetarian entrees are very good, but every time I've had them, they included paneer cheese. Wouldn't be surprised if the chick peas or other sides were cooked with ghee or butter. And there was yogurt also. So, not exactly vegan.

I also found it weird you've been a long time vegan but had no clue about this

since you've been on other Carnival cruises, and you also indicated you lost weight on other cruises,

but looking back through your posts I see just this year you were talking about eating crab

and within the last year talking about eating conch, seafood and Mickey D's ===> Eeeuuwww!

so I guess my version of long time vegan and yours is very different.

Gotta love and appreciate the value of Research :D

• 1 month later...

Thank you very much for this very informative answer!

For other meals:

Archived