Are all HAL Roll calls slow?

readytogo2

My roll call has 2 other people on it. Just my observation.but it seems that the roll calls from my previous cruises which were on other cruise lines, were so much more active. Could it be that the roll calls going to the Med are just slower than in the Caribbean or is it because there are more mature people that sail on HAL that never heard of Cruise Critic?

My roll call has 2 other people on it. Just my observation.but it seems that the roll calls from my previous cruises which were on other cruise lines, were so much more active. Could it be that the roll calls going to the Med are just slower than in the Caribbean or is it because there are more mature people that sail on HAL that never heard of Cruise Critic?

It really depends upon the roll call:) We are sailing in May, 2013 and we already have 350+ posts on our Prinsendam roll call. Our roll call last year was also very active - with nearly 1,000 posts.

Not everyone who cruises belongs to cruise critic so it just depends upon the mix. When are you sailing:confused: Some roll calls really pick up around 3 months out when it's closer.

Actually, my experience has been that the Caribbean roll calls are slower than the ones with Europe ports of call - but again, roll calls change from cruise to cruise.

Don't give up - keep posting and keep it going :D

We had an awesome roll call recently on the Zuiderdam. I'm amazed when I look at the number of posts for other Zuiderdams roll calls --- ours was really special. The only one that comes close is one that is still active from six years ago and we have almost 1,000 more posts than that one!

Most of the roll calls are in single digits with just a few moving to three digits. I don't know why we were so lucky to have attracted such a great group of active CC people to this cruise. I'm glad we did, the friendships we made added greatly to our enjoyment of the cruise.

We're facing a similar lack of activity for our August cruise. Same cruise last year, although 3 weeks later, the RC was full of people trying to arrange transfers to/from Rome and filling out private tours. This year, not so much. I think 2 things might be causing this: first, CC users are still a minority of overall pax; second, I'm thinking that more Europeans (non-CC users) will be cruising the Med because airfares from the US are hideously expensive. We'll see if traffic builds up after final payment is made in a couple of weeks. FWIW I've seen the same lack of RC activity through HAL's site.

It varies tremendously. Some are very busy and others not. There is no predicting which will 'catch on' and have lots of HAL CC'ers. We've had many people post their M & G was over 100 people and considering HAL ships are smaller than those from some other cruise lines, that is a nice attendance. IMO

The idea that 'mature' people do not use computers/tablets/androids/various electronic devices is becoming far more fiction than fact. Maybe ten or even five years ago, but IMO, not so today.

Most roll calls become more active the closer you get to sailing and when posters start asking questions about the trip.

ALSO, and probably most important!!! HAL now has its own Roll Call on its site and a lot of cruisers post on that one instead of CC. (especially new cruisers who aren't aware of CC).

CC has by far the best Roll Call as the HAL one is not nearly as private with all your information because it is over the Facebook site.

Don't worry though, whether you end up with 20 or 200 on yours, you'll have a great time and meet some interesting people!:)

It really depends upon the roll call:) We are sailing in May, 2013 and we already have 350+ posts on our Prinsendam roll call. Our roll call last year was also very active - with nearly 1,000 posts.

Not everyone who cruises belongs to cruise critic so it just depends upon the mix. When are you sailing:confused: Some roll calls really pick up around 3 months out when it's closer.

Actually, my experience has been that the Caribbean roll calls are slower than the ones with Europe ports of call - but again, roll calls change from cruise to cruise.

Don't give up - keep posting and keep it going :D

I really don't want to give up, This is my first cruise to the med(Sept 16th) and would like some tips if any can be offered. All my cruises have been in the Caribbean and I have nothing else to compare with:(

We had an awesome roll call recently on the Zuiderdam. I'm amazed when I look at the number of posts for other Zuiderdams roll calls --- ours was really special. The only one that comes close is one that is still active from six years ago and we have almost 1,000 more posts than that one!

Most of the roll calls are in single digits with just a few moving to three digits. I don't know why we were so lucky to have attracted such a great group of active CC people to this cruise. I'm glad we did, the friendships we made added greatly to our enjoyment of the cruise.

I know what you mean, especially when it's just me and the wife, meeting others from our roll call was fun, last year on RCI, we had a cabin crawl and a slot pull...had such fun.:D

We're facing a similar lack of activity for our August cruise. Same cruise last year, although 3 weeks later, the RC was full of people trying to arrange transfers to/from Rome and filling out private tours. This year, not so much. I think 2 things might be causing this: first, CC users are still a minority of overall pax; second, I'm thinking that more Europeans (non-CC users) will be cruising the Med because airfares from the US are hideously expensive. We'll see if traffic builds up after final payment is made in a couple of weeks. FWIW I've seen the same lack of RC activity through HAL's site.
I was thinking the same as far as so many more Europeans that just may not know of CC. Sadly you are right about the airfare...way too much, but then again, traveling the country with the price of gas is no bargain neither:eek:

It's true the "elders" are catching onto technology. I think there's still a lot of people who don't know about CC. Our RC seem to be slow early on, and picks up as the cruise gets closer, especially after final payment. Depending on how well the cruise has sold, many book guarantees after final payment, then join the RC. It varies from cruise to cruise.

Readytogo2:

If you're looking for tips on where/what to do in ports, the Roll Calls are not the best place to look. Check out the Ports/Destinations threads lower down on the CC page and find yours There is a lot more info there.

The idea that 'mature' people do not use computers/tablets/androids/various electronic devices is becoming far more fiction than fact. Maybe ten or even five years ago, but IMO, not so today.

True that more seniors are using computers,tablets and other devices more than ever but many I know still don't....my kids should have droid implants:eek: it's such a way of life for them,downside is i think their social skills are lacking compared to ours.:(

Most roll calls become more active the closer you get to sailing and when posters start asking questions about the trip.

ALSO, and probably most important!!! HAL now has its own Roll Call on its site and a lot of cruisers post on that one instead of CC. (especially new cruisers who aren't aware of CC).

CC has by far the best Roll Call as the HAL one is not nearly as private with all your information because it is over the Facebook site.

Don't worry though, whether you end up with 20 or 200 on yours, you'll have a great time and meet some interesting people!:)

I personally still favor CC over their blogs etc...there one of the other roll call CC members said there is one on Facebook....there is no way I will post on there, I do not want all my friends and some relatives and their friends to know of my vacation plans:eek: You are right, I will have a great time, with or without meeting fellow CC people...but it would be nice:)

Readytogo2:

If you're looking for tips on where/what to do in ports, the Roll Calls are not the best place to look. Check out the Ports/Destinations threads lower down on the CC page and find yours There is a lot more info there.

I have checked there and being this is my first Med cruise, it can be overwhelming searching on there. It just seems easier to ask others that you become familiar with about their plans.

op - which ship and which itinerary are you going on? let us know and if I can help you I will gladly. :)

Europe and the Med are my favourite places:D:D

I'd say it is just odds. How many folks are there booked? How many of them use CC? Prolly few...

Think of it this way, your roll call could be active and filled up with folks like me--yappy, opinionated knuckleheads who will incessantly rib you on board and the boards because that is how we were raised to interact with people due to always been around alpha males, being in gyms or engaging in sports with those same alpha male poseurs and have a huge drive to compete.

Do you understand that horror?? :eek: It is no fun! :eek:

Often quiet is good... especially when you've bested those yappy, opinionated knuckleheads 4 times in a row and they want another crack @ the title! :D:rolleyes:;)

Derek

I'd say it is just odds. How many folks are there booked? How many of them use CC? Prolly few...

Think of it this way, your roll call could be active and filled up with folks like me--yappy, opinionated knuckleheads who will incessantly rib you on board and the boards because that is how we were raised to interact with people due to always been around alpha males, being in gyms or engaging in sports with those same alpha male poseurs and have a huge drive to compete.

Do you understand that horror?? :eek: It is no fun! :eek:

Often quiet is good... especially when you've bested those yappy, opinionated knuckleheads 4 times in a row and they want another crack @ the title! :D:rolleyes:;)

Derek

Huh!??:confused:

op - which ship and which itinerary are you going on? let us know and if I can help you I will gladly. :)

Europe and the Med are my favourite places:D:D

That's real nice of you, I appreciate it. We are going on the Nieuw Amsterdam for 7 days, Barcelona, Tunisia,Palermo,Rome,Santa Margherita and Monte Carlo. I know the excursions are more through HAL, but my wife is so afraid to book excursions privately...so afraid of missing our ship:eek:. We are looking for a nice hotel near the airport in Barcelona,pre-cruise, we will be arriving on Friday and our ship sails on Sunday.Anything would be a help. Thanks again.:)

That's real nice of you, I appreciate it. We are going on the Nieuw Amsterdam for 7 days, Barcelona, Tunisia,Palermo,Rome,Santa Margherita and Monte Carlo. I know the excursions are more through HAL, but my wife is so afraid to book excursions privately...so afraid of missing our ship:eek:. We are looking for a nice hotel near the airport in Barcelona,pre-cruise, we will be arriving on Friday and our ship sails on Sunday.Anything would be a help. Thanks again.:)

First of all, if I may DON'T be afraid to do private tours. There are lots of good tour operators out there and you will NOT miss the ship 99% of the time - same as with a ship excursion.

Visit the ports of call boards for your ports but honestly - why stay at the airport? That is too far away to do anything precruise.

Book a hotel that is convenient - you're going to have to get from the airport to Barcelona sometime (it's not that expensive) so why not get it done, stay in the city itself and enjoy Barcelona ?

Here's what I would suggest = book a decent place in Barcelona proper, close to things you want to see and enjoy this fabulous city. If you are going to Sagrada Familia I would definitely pay the euro to prebook my tickets and bypass the lineups.

Hit the ports board for Spain and you will get all kinds of tips.

For what it's worth we stayed at the Royal Ramblas last round - rooms were very reasonable (I believe the prepaid rate for the larger room was 135 euros). Hit the Boqueria (the market) for breakfast - you will be in heaven.

Look at what your roll call is doing - if they have some tours planned take a hard look at them - easy way to gage - how long are they - when are they getting back (at least an hour I would hope). Does the tour start from the furthest point and head back?

I haven't done Tunisia so I can't comment - but the rest I would do gladly with a private tour. Or alternatively if you don't want to do private in Rome - do HAL's Vatican secrets (pricey - a lot cheaper privately) but it is basically a private tour with HAl and it was one of the best tours I've ever been on.

Have a great cruise - hope this helps a little bit :):)

First of all, if I may DON'T be afraid to do private tours. There are lots of good tour operators out there and you will NOT miss the ship 99% of the time - same as with a ship excursion.

Visit the ports of call boards for your ports but honestly - why stay at the airport? That is too far away to do anything precruise.

Book a hotel that is convenient - you're going to have to get from the airport to Barcelona sometime (it's not that expensive) so why not get it done, stay in the city itself and enjoy Barcelona ?

Here's what I would suggest = book a decent place in Barcelona proper, close to things you want to see and enjoy this fabulous city. If you are going to Sagrada Familia I would definitely pay the euro to prebook my tickets and bypass the lineups.

Hit the ports board for Spain and you will get all kinds of tips.

For what it's worth we stayed at the Royal Ramblas last round - rooms were very reasonable (I believe the prepaid rate for the larger room was 135 euros). Hit the Boqueria (the market) for breakfast - you will be in heaven.

Look at what your roll call is doing - if they have some tours planned take a hard look at them - easy way to gage - how long are they - when are they getting back (at least an hour I would hope). Does the tour start from the furthest point and head back?

I haven't done Tunisia so I can't comment - but the rest I would do gladly with a private tour. Or alternatively if you don't want to do private in Rome - do HAL's Vatican secrets (pricey - a lot cheaper privately) but it is basically a private tour with HAl and it was one of the best tours I've ever been on.

Have a great cruise - hope this helps a little bit :):)

Thanks so much!

Archived