NH residents-read all about FCC expiration...or lack thereof!

On our wonderful Dream cruise two weeks ago, we purchased another FCC. (Future Cruise Certificate.) My son, the future lawyer, read the back. (I don't always read the fine print. Mea culpa.) Term and condition #13 states, "Certificate void where prohibited or restricted by law. This certificate shall have no expiration date for purchasers in California and New Hampshire or where otherwise required by law." I spoke with Jeanette, the FCC gal, who contacted Corporate, who verified that FCCs for NH residents indeed do NOT expire!!! I learned something new, Jeanette learned something new. (Can't comment on CA purchasers because we are not.)

I know that gift certificates and gift cards in NH can never expire nor lose value (state law), but I never considered Future Cruise Certificates.

Woo hoo! Time to stock up on those FCCs!

I imagine Carnival would be happy to keep your money for (example) 100 years interest free and pay you back with cheaper dollars.

How much will that $100 be worth in 100 years? :eek: I might be tempted to invest in something else. ;)

But it is good to know.

I know that gift certificates and gift cards in NH can never expire nor lose value (state law), but I never considered Future Cruise Certificates.

I live in CA and our gift cards also can't expire or lose money. I guess the FCC's are treated the same way as gift cards.

Give a thanks to your son for reading this. It pays to read the fine print.

On our wonderful Dream cruise two weeks ago, we purchased another FCC. (Future Cruise Certificate.) My son, the future lawyer, read the back. (I don't always read the fine print. Mea culpa.) Term and condition #13 states, "Certificate void where prohibited or restricted by law. This certificate shall have no expiration date for purchasers in California and New Hampshire or where otherwise required by law." I spoke with Jeanette, the FCC gal, who contacted Corporate, who verified that FCCs for NH residents indeed do NOT expire!!! I learned something new, Jeanette learned something new. (Can't comment on CA purchasers because we are not.)

Interesting!

Where in NH are you -- I am in ManchVegas ;)

I live in N.H. and never knew this and have one about to expire, I wonder if Carnival can get around this as I bought it in internation waters, I hate to take a chance.

It does not matter where it was purchased, only the state of residency of the purchaser.

You can always call the number on the back if you are concerned. We purchased our FCC while the ship was at sea; I asked Jeanette about the non-expiration clause. She emailed Corporate, who responded right away then she contacted us with the news.

I imagine Carnival would be happy to keep your money for (example) 100 years interest free and pay you back with cheaper dollars.

How much will that $100 be worth in 100 years? :eek: I might be tempted to invest in something else. ;)

But it is good to know.

Since I am 51 and probably won't live to be 151, this is not an issue.

What's good about FCCs not expiring for me is that I can purchase one or two per cruise and not have to worry about booking another cruise within two years/sailing within three. I can wait for the perfect cruise in four or five years from now.

Plus, if Carnival should ever decide to discontinue selling FCCs, I will still have some and will still receive my benefits.

LOL...

New Hampshire....I always think of the license tag

"Live Free or Die"

guess that tells Carnival what for LOL

Thanks for the info, not sure if Flori-duh would uphold this for us

And who do you think makes the license plates??? Convicted prisoners. How is that for irony!!!

A few ships (Imagination among them) do NOT sell the certs

they used to let you buy one over phone within a week after you got back from a cruise on a ship that doesn't have FCC...but they recently changed that

so that would be another reason to have a couple fcc certs on hand <grin>

That is very interesting. I recently heard a rumor that it was also true for PA residents. This now poses the questions: A) if it is also valid in PA, B) if the NON expiration is only valid for PA residents from PA businesses, etc, C) if there is any type of exception because of the clause that the FCC is refundable if you cannot use it within the required time period?

Thoughts?

we will be sailing on the glory in august-- does the glory sell FCC? I am going with my family of 5 in two rooms -- is the FCC (and the OBC) only limited to 1 per cabin or 1 per passenger or?

Im not certain, but I think the Glory does sell them. You may purchase as many as you like, but in order to redeem them, only one is permitted per stateroom.

we will be sailing on the glory in august-- does the glory sell FCC? I am going with my family of 5 in two rooms -- is the FCC (and the OBC) only limited to 1 per cabin or 1 per passenger or?

The person whose name is on the FCC has to book the cruise. If' date=' in the future, you will book two cabins, then you would buy one FCC in your name, and another in your significant other's name. Then the cabins must be booked with one person per. Once on the ship, the parties would go to Guest Services to change over the keys so the correct people sleep in the correct room.

So, Mickey and Minnie and their three darling children are on a cruise. They each buy one FCC in their name. Upon booking the next cruise, Mickey and one darling child book a cabin using his FCC and Minnie and the other two darling children book a cabin using her FCC. Then the cards get fixed once on board, Mickey and Minnie have their cabin and the three darlings are in theirs and all is good. (Sorry, I'm a visual learner and examples are important to me when I explain things. :o)

If Mickey and Minnie cruise alone and leave the three darlings behind with Goofy, then they can only use one FCC because they are only booking once cabin.

Glory does indeed sell FCCs. They must be purchased using the credit card on file; cash will not be accepted. And since you appear to be CA residents, your FCCs do not expire.

Hope this helps. [/color']

That is very interesting. I recently heard a rumor that it was also true for PA residents. This now poses the questions: A) if it is also valid in PA, B) if the NON expiration is only valid for PA residents from PA businesses, etc, C) if there is any type of exception because of the clause that the FCC is refundable if you cannot use it within the required time period?

Thoughts?

Rumors...don't always believe them. If you have an FCC hanging around, call the number on the back. If not, Google PA state law regarding this.

Good luck.

Archived