How would you rate NCL Lobster Dinner?

Happy HALer

How would characterize the MDR Lobster Dinner if that were only choice?  

156 members have voted

1. 1. How would characterize the MDR Lobster Dinner if that were only choice?

• I wouldn't miss it.
    • Good night for specialty reservation.
    • I would rather hit the Buffet.
    • Room service would be better than the Lobster.

It all depends on your previous experience with lobster. Someone born and raised in Portland Maine would feel differently than someone born and raised in Lincoln Nebraska.

Myself, I am not much of a shellfish person.

John

Same here. If you're expecting Maine lobster, you'll be very disappointed. I myself enjoy the lobster that NCL serves but I also know what to expect. It's a small portion, so I just order a second helping.

On our last NCL cruise it was served on the first night. We missed it because we went to Chin Chin but didn't feel we had missed much. It's OK but nothing like the cold-water lobster you find in Maine or Nova Scotia.

Hello,

I thought this might be an interesting poll to see where I should set my expectations for our upcoming cruise.

Set them low, very low. As in order the steak instead.

I live in TN and dont eat lobster much if ever.. Last 2 cruises I ordered 2 and the snapper that came with it.. I enjoyed it.. Yes the lobster was small but thats why I ordered 2.. Had a very good sweet taste.. On my next cruise I will be sure to order 2 again..

But Im not a person who complains about every small detail..

It is plain awful. They serve a small spiny caribbean lobster tail (an entirely different species from a cold water lobster). It is thawed from previously frozen and then grossly overcooked in an oven into chewy flavorlessness. It is truly worthless and only serves to allow NCL to advertise that everyone is offered lobster. Many better dishes are on the menu. NCL should be ashamed to serve it.

I put "good night for specialty reservation" because on my last 2 cruises, although I would have loved the lobster, I am sure, the lines were too long in the main dining rooms. It was not on the first night. I can imagine that serving it the first night would cut down on the crowds, as many people are tired and skip the dining room (or haven't found it yet).

Our specialty restaurant alternative was great...I ordered the lobster tacos.

On our POA cruise this past November we opted out of the first night lobster for dinner in the Bistro. It was the Taste of All for $15. Food from all the different restaurants on the ship and it was fantastic.

It was by far the best dining experience we've had on NCL. We took our time and sampled many foods and enjoyed our dinner for over two hours. And if you need your lobster fix? Just add it for $8.

You do realize NCL serves Lobster in more than one location. I had lobster at Cagney's and thought it was quite good.

did you have to pay an additional premium beyond just the $25 upcharge for that restaurant? If so, how much was it and was it an ENTIRE "authentic" cold water lobster?

did you have to pay an additional premium beyond just the $25 upcharge for that restaurant? If so, how much was it and was it an ENTIRE "authentic" cold water lobster?

$10 additional making my surf and turf $35 altogether.

I have no idea what type of lobster it was. I live in central Canada, sorry we don't have a lot of oceans here to catch a lobster in ;). But I will say it was as tasty as any surf and turf (with lobster) that I have had in any restaurant in our nearest cities both Ontario Canada and N.Y. side.

The extra charge lobster tail is a generously-sized cold water tail. No body or claws. It is removed from the shell in one piece, dunked in a buttery sauce, and then placed on top of the shell. It is thawed from previously-frozen. On the Jewel and the Epic, it was chewy, tough and exchanged for a better entre. Several much better choices.

It all depends on your previous experience with lobster. Someone born and raised in Portland Maine would feel differently than someone born and raised in Lincoln Nebraska.

Myself, I am not much of a shellfish person.

John

Same here. If you're expecting Maine lobster, you'll be very disappointed. I myself enjoy the lobster that NCL serves but I also know what to expect. It's a small portion, so I just order a second helping.

You are both very right. I always laugh at these threads because we always have our lobster connoisseurs that try to compare what they would either cook themselves in their small kitchen or eat in their quaint restaurants and pay top dollar for. To an included meal lobster that is cooked for 500 people at one sitting.

A warning to a newbie that these lobsters are small and warm-water lobsters (if thats what they are), is really good advice so someone isn't disappointed and is really all that is necessary IMO

I live no where near an ocean, I do not eat lobster at home because DH doesn't eat seafood. So my once or twice a year when I am in a restaurant that serves it, makes me nowhere near a connoisseur and therefore I may thoroughly enjoy it.

You are both very right. I always laugh at these threads because we always have our lobster connoisseurs that try to compare what they would either cook themselves in their small kitchen or eat in their quaint restaurants and pay top dollar for. To an included meal lobster that is cooked for 500 people at one sitting.

...and then you have the people that have the incessant need to say something bad about NCL every time they get the chance. So sad they cannot simply answer the question at hand.

But, back to the topic at hand. As I said I am not much of a shellfish person. I have have had the Spiny Lobster served aboard NCL, and also served in small restaurants in the Caribbean, and it has a much different flavor and texture than cold water Maine Lobster.

So to the OP, give it a try and come back and tell us what you think. ;)

John

A warning to a newbie that these lobsters are small and warm-water lobsters (if thats what they are), is really good advice so someone isn't disappointed and is really all that is necessary IMO

I live no where near an ocean, I do not eat lobster at home because DH doesn't eat seafood. So my once or twice a year when I am in a restaurant that serves it, makes me nowhere near a connoisseur and therefore I may thoroughly enjoy it.

You forgot to add "previously frozen and overcooked";).

Archived