Pea Soup in Alaska.....

sail7seas

One thing I am looking forward to for our Oosterdam cruise is pea soup on deck. I love HAL's Dutch pea soup and don't want to miss it.

Is it passed on deck the day of glacier viewing? If not, when?

On the Oosterdam last year there were servers delivering bowls of pea soup out on the bow as we were entering Glacier Bay. I did enjoy my $15 hot chocolate w/ a shot of Bailey's, complete with souvenir cup :D, but you only see Glacier Bay for the first time once.

One thing I am looking forward to for our Oosterdam cruise is pea soup on deck. I love HAL's Dutch pea soup and don't want to miss it.

Sail, I'm currently on the Oosterdam and we visited Tracy Arm today. I was told they did not serve the pea soup on the bow today because of the weather. There was ice rain but when we got to Tracy Arm,it stopped and the sun came out. We did not go on the bow as we have a wraparound aft and figured I'd see everything when the ship turned back. The views are breathtaking!

There are hundreds of seals on the ice floes, and of course the ship will not disturb them. We did see bears and mountain goats.

The late night snack did have the pea soup. It is now 11:38 PM Alaska time and we are a mile out of Juneau.

Hope you get the pea soup, it's great.

Ken

On all of our Alaskan cruises we have always had the Dutch Pea Soup and Hot Chocolate out on the decks. On one ship -- Westerdam -- one year you could only get the hot chocolate in the special containers which you had to buy.

Last year the Dutch Pea Soup was also served in the Crow;s Nest in either Hubbard Glacier or Tracy Arm.

Sail, I'm currently on the Oosterdam and we visited Tracy Arm today.

There are hundreds of seals on the ice floes, and of course the ship will not disturb them. We did see bears and mountain goats.

I can only hope to have this experience next month! (Except that I will be on Volendam.)

Until the Westerdam -- we used to get the Hot Chocolate and paid for the shot of Bailey's or whatever else there was. Took them back to the cabin and sat out on the verandah watching the glaciers and other scenery.

Insulated mugs -- no use for them. I don;t drink coffee and rarely drink tea. DH only has 1 cup of coffee at breakfast.

Sail, I'm currently on the Oosterdam and we visited Tracy Arm today. I was told they did not serve the pea soup on the bow today because of the weather. There was ice rain but when we got to Tracy Arm,it stopped and the sun came out. We did not go on the bow as we have a wraparound aft and figured I'd see everything when the ship turned back. The views are breathtaking!

The late night snack did have the pea soup. It is now 11:38 PM Alaska time and we are a mile out of Juneau.

Hope you get the pea soup, it's great.

Ken

THANK YOU so much, Ken. Really appreciate your current, up to date, first hand info. I hope we are so lucky to see the beautiful sights you are enjoying.

Hope you continue to enjoy.

Maybe you'll post some comments when you come home?

HAVE FUN!!!! :)

On all of our Alaskan cruises we have always had the Dutch Pea Soup and Hot Chocolate out on the decks. On one ship -- Westerdam -- one year you could only get the hot chocolate in the special containers which you had to buy.

Last year the Dutch Pea Soup was also served in the Crow;s Nest in either Hubbard Glacier or Tracy Arm.

Thanks for telling about the Dutch Pea Soup being served in Crows Nest. I don't care about Hot chocolate. I never have that but I sure would like a cup of the soup. :)

On May 2, 2012 on the ms Zaandam's day in Glacier Bay, the following was posted in that day's Explorer:

Dutch Pea Soup

A Holland america Line tradition continues

as we serve hot Dutch Pea Soup on the

outside decks and in the Crow's Nest at

2:30 PM.

And they did!:)

Dan

When I was on Amsterdam in May 2010, I specifically searched for the pea soup while in Glacier Bay. When I finally asked about it, I was told it was not being served due to the weather. It was cold with pretty much a continuous rain falling and quite foggy in places. I was kind of bummed out because that seemed like the perfect weather for some hot pea soup. I really like pea soup and wanted to try it. Maybe next year on Westerdam.

On May 2, 2012 on the ms Zaandam's day in Glacier Bay, the following was posted in that day's Explorer:

Dutch Pea Soup

A Holland america Line tradition continues

as we serve hot Dutch Pea Soup on the

outside decks and in the Crow's Nest at

2:30 PM.

And they did!:)

Dan

Can you see me doing my 'happy girl dance'? :D

When I was on Amsterdam in May 2010, I specifically searched for the pea soup while in Glacier Bay. When I finally asked about it, I was told it was not being served due to the weather. It was cold with pretty much a continuous rain falling and quite foggy in places. I was kind of bummed out because that seemed like the perfect weather for some hot pea soup. I really like pea soup and wanted to try it. Maybe next year on Westerdam.

I'll post here if we have it.

If not, I'll ask if you can see me doing my 'unhappy girl dance'. :( :D

On the Oosterdam last year there were servers delivering bowls of pea soup out on the bow as we were entering Glacier Bay. I did enjoy my $15 hot chocolate w/ a shot of Bailey's, complete with souvenir cup :D, but you only see Glacier Bay for the first time once.

Next time try it w/ butterscotch schnappes.. MMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

a Thanksgiving staple w/ our family.. to hell w/ the wine

I didn't see it at Tracey Arm. However that doesn't mean it wasn't there. We were on the front area and on the Promenade deck. If it was there it was not when we were there.

The only place I saw it on last weeks cruise was in the Terrace Grill.

Yes, while cruising around Glacier Bay, the stewards came out onto the open bow with large platters holding numerous (small) bowls of 'Dutch Pea Soup! :) I enjoyed two bowls! ;)

Archived