Costa Rica

CDreamer

Somewhere in there (or in the email subject) it was called pre/post packages. It is my understanding they can be either. The Marriott looks great on the Marriott website. Wishing we had booked 2 days ahead of the cruise now.:D The email address to the package provider is probably the best way to be sure.

Edited by Jim Avery

First, pricing on these land packages are only good until Dec 14, so the folks looking for anything after that date will need to wait or contact SD. Second, the prices are no bargain -- I have booked 3 nights of hotel (2 at the Los Suenos Marriott in Herredura in a premium ocan view and 1 at the San Jose Marriott in a pool view) plus transportation from airport to hotel to pier and back to hotel for less than $800 all in ($400 per person).

Hi Jim: Thank you for providing the information about the pre cruise hotels and tour. Do you have any idea how we return from the ship to San Jose after the end of the cruise? I tried to get some answers from SeaDream and they told me to contact my travel agent. We are doing the b/b Nov.30, ending Dec. 14. Maxine

Hi Jim: Thank you for providing the information about the pre cruise hotels and tour. Do you have any idea how we return from the ship to San Jose after the end of the cruise? I tried to get some answers from SeaDream and they told me to contact my travel agent. We are doing the b/b Nov.30, ending Dec. 14. Maxine

I have not contacted the tour operator yet but my understanding is that they will meet the ship and return us to the airport. Or you can make other arrangements if you are going elsewhere. We will be leaving the ship and heading right to the airport and post partum depression.:eek::D

Coach Costa Rica and Odssey Tours both offer private transportation in Cost Rica and come recommended on the Costa Rica board. We have booked with Coach Costa Rica for all of our ground transportation including transport from the pier in Caldera to the airport in San Jose. The cost for the pier to airport for two with Coach is $100. You can reach both companies at the following email addresses:

juancarlos@coachcostarica.com, or odysseytours@gmail.com

I used Coach Costa Rica 5 years ago when we did a Costa Rica cruise on Windstar. They were EXCELLENT! We did pre cruise tours, transport to the port, transport back to San Jose from the port, and a post cruise tour. They were always on time, the guide was a good driver (that is important since there are a lot of BAD ROADS) and knew the country well, the service was great, and the price was reasonable. I highly recommend them.

We are going with the SeaDream option and are choosing the Marriott. After figuring 2person transfers, breakfasts, lunches, park tour, and one night hotel, I could have saved approx. $100 doing it myself. I have had good luck with SD handled events in the past so am lining up again. Hope it is as good as offered.:D

Edited by Jim Avery

We are going with the SeaDream option and are choosing the Marriott. After figuring 2person transfers, breakfasts, lunches, park tour, and one night hotel, I could have saved approx. $100 doing it myself. I have had good luck with SD handled events in the past so am lining up again. Hope it is as good as offered.:D

I've never been on anything they arranged that wasn't excellent, Jim. Even the private excursion they arranged for us in Bilbao was done with a lot of thought involved and attention to detail.

I've never been on anything they arranged that wasn't excellent, Jim. Even the private excursion they arranged for us in Bilbao was done with a lot of thought involved and attention to detail.

I believe James Cabello is point man for these things and James is the best. He is not one to cut corners.

I used Coach Costa Rica 5 years ago when we did a Costa Rica cruise on Windstar. They were EXCELLENT! We did pre cruise tours, transport to the port, transport back to San Jose from the port, and a post cruise tour. They were always on time, the guide was a good driver (that is important since there are a lot of BAD ROADS) and knew the country well, the service was great, and the price was reasonable. I highly recommend them.

Agree. And you also get the flexibility to do what you want, for as long (or short) a time as you want, according to whatever schedule you want. I enjoy that flexibility.

On another note, we still have not received the email from SD which Jim so kindly posted. Are we the only ones booked for CR who have not received it, or is Jim the only one who has? Kind of bizarre, isn't it?

On another note, we still have not received the email from SD which Jim so kindly posted. Are we the only ones booked for CR who have not received it, or is Jim the only one who has? Kind of bizarre, isn't it?

I did not get it either, but I assumed it was because the land program only went until Dec 14, which is the day my cruise starts. Maybe there is another issue.

I haven't received any emails either and we are scheduled from Nov.30 to Dec.14th. I mentioned earlier that I got no help from calling SeaDream. I tried James Caballo today and he was out. I did get an email from Swisstravel acknowledging receipt of my email and promising to contact me later with more information. I think all our efforts are premature since the packages and details are not yet complete. Will keep you all posted. Maxine

I was told the brochure was to have been posted last Monday but it has not shown up yet and we too have not received an email with it officially. Like others I am told the tours only apply until Dec 15 (presumably b/c higher holiday rates kick in after that time). The SwissTravel agency will provide customized (er more expensive) options for those of us on the three voyages later in the month or for those, like us, who will be in CR more than a few days prior to the SD voyage. They sent us a proposal with only one hotel option so I am inclined to continue my own research and book elsewhere, directly as we usually do. We welcome input. We have a week but given it is Christmas Week we are inclined to stay in one hotel and do day trips, probably near Manuel Antonio National Park.

I was told the brochure was to have been posted last Monday but it has not shown up yet and we too have not received an email with it officially. Like others I am told the tours only apply until Dec 15 (presumably b/c higher holiday rates kick in after that time). The SwissTravel agency will provide customized (er more expensive) options for those of us on the three voyages later in the month or for those, like us, who will be in CR more than a few days prior to the SD voyage. They sent us a proposal with only one hotel option so I am inclined to continue my own research and book elsewhere, directly as we usually do. We welcome input. We have a week but given it is Christmas Week we are inclined to stay in one hotel and do day trips, probably near Manuel Antonio National Park.

I suggest you look into what you can arrange for yourself, at least if only for the point of comparison -- and keep looking. We were not willing to wait for SD to announce their land package, so took advantage of some great sales on Marriott properties on the coast and in San Jose in February. Those sales are no longer available, but I suggest you keep checking various online travel booking sites as sales tend to pop up from time to time as hotels/resorts try to manage excess inventory.

The prior advice just above is spot on. I made some attempts at direct booking for Christmas Week and received many "sold out" replies. This may explain why the SD travel agent only gave us one hotel option for the Manuel Antonio National Park area if we stay there the entire holiday week. And at that, the only room type available was one up from the bottom of a long list of room types in terms of size, view, etc. We regret we waited so long thinking we would get more options with SD's agent.

Looks like there are some changes to the SD website going on. Clicking on a voyage brings up a page I had not seen before and provides more information than in the past. Still no sign of the Costa Rica transfer/packages. And, strangely, all pricing is in Euros.:eek: Maybe they will get it sorted out soon. I agree with you all that the transfers/packages should have been set sooner. Here's hoping the onboard experience is better organized.:D

Looks like there are some changes to the SD website going on. Clicking on a voyage brings up a page I had not seen before and provides more information than in the past. Still no sign of the Costa Rica transfer/packages. And, strangely, all pricing is in Euros.:eek: Maybe they will get it sorted out soon. I agree with you all that the transfers/packages should have been set sooner. Here's hoping the onboard experience is better organized.:D

The onboard experience has always been better organized. Have faith. Historically there have been similar complaints on the Seabourn board. The onboard experience is always better than the experience of dealing with the home office. Not at all the way it should be, but the way it is.

I also was on the website today. The pricing I saw was in dollars, not euros, so I don't know what's going on there, Jim. And I noticed that the first of our back to back cruises has again gone up in price.

I think CR is selling well. Not sure about Asia. Part, I am sure, is that CR is much easier and cheaper to travel to. They should also have lower fuel burn in CR as the ports are in close proximity compared to the distances traveled in Asia. Now if the cerveza supplies hold out.:eek::D