Requesting an item not on the menu

For our Dream cruise, my SIL ordered a meal that came with some sort of mashed potatoes and loved them. The next night she made the comment to the waiter that she really loved the mashed potatoes the night before but they weren't on the menu that night. He told her that she could still order them. From that night on, every time she ordered he would say "And the mashed potatoes?"

I have never had a waiter tell me to push it to the side-my mother-in-law is VERY fussy and they remove things from the plates for her on a daily basis. My husband is high maintenance when it comes to food and never denied a reasonable request. Not sure why for you.

It is still wasted food whether the server scrapes it off or you push it aside.

My brother doesn't have any food allergies, but he used to be a very picky eater. So when he went on two cruises (Princess and Norwegian) at ages 15 and 18, he asked for chicken fingers with honey for many meals, even though it wasn't always on the menu, and he was able to get them.

I don't see anything wrong with making reasonable requests. They can tell you whether or not it can be done and one should tip for the extra assistance.

As long as it isn't done with a sense of entitlement (you have to do this for me because I am who I am), I see no issues with it. If you don't ask, you'll never know what wonderful things they can do to make your cruise better.

if you do so without tipping, you are pond scum.

I don't see anything wrong with making reasonable requests. They can tell you whether or not it can be done and one should tip for the extra assistance.

As long as it isn't done with a sense of entitlement (you have to do this for me because I am who I am), I see no issues with it. If you don't ask, you'll never know what wonderful things they can do to make your cruise better.

if you do so without tipping, you are pond scum.

Agreed

Sometimes I order a banana split for dessert, but it is on the children's menu, so I guess is not really special ordered...lol

So glad I found out about the banana split for dessert on the children's menu. I am not much of a dessert eater, but I can't pass up a good old banana split.

:eek::p:)

So glad I found out about the banana split for dessert on the children's menu. I am not much of a dessert eater, but I can't pass up a good old banana split.

:eek::p:)

Guess we need to pay greater attention to the children's menu than

Someone told me about that! So this last cruise, 1st night -Chocolate Melting Cake. 2nd night - Banana Split ! Our table mates were what - what did you order - Where is that on the menu - told them it is on the Children's Menu.

So for the rest of the cruise, at least one person per night got a banana split. Got to Love It. One time it was 7 out of 8 of us had the banana split. My hubby eats the Choc. Melting Cake every night.

On 2 different cruises, And it has been on Thursday nights, I ordered pizza. There was nothing I was interested in getting . The first cruise , went down to the pizza place on Lido deck and brought me back 2 slices. I was fine. Then the 2nd cruise, The chef, bless his heart, made me my own personal pepperoni pizza. Got to Love it.

So, I guess if they can find the way and time to accommodate you , they will .

:D

just answering the question, not looking to get criticized...

On the Grand Princess, we had a family reunion..12 of us...a very nice tip to the Maitre 'D and we received a very large plate of Tempura Shrimp one evening. We loooove Tempura Shrimp.

On many cruise lines we ask for whole black olives, carrot sticks, dip, and cubed cheeses to be on the table to eat with our bread before ordering dinner. Even Carnival has met this request each time.

I am ONLY SUGGESTING...but usually a generous tip at the time of the request helps to MAYBE get a special request.

I work in the food service industry, we have a restaurant, I guess I just know that servers will usually be willing to go over and above when a show of gratitude is made at the time of the request.

All too often people ask for special service, but then not show any special gratatitude in the form of what most servers appreciate...CASH.

After reading on these boards so many complaints about warm or even cold food, on our recent Easter cruise, I slipped our waitress a nice cash tip along with the request our food be Hot!!! She responded " Hot, like Me?"....and every dish, every meal was delivered Hot!!!

I kn ow, maybe you are thinking "why should I tip for hot food...that is what I expect!"

I am only saying, we read about how difficult our waitstaffs jobs have become, and delivering hot food has become less likely with all the duties they have...BUT..showing a little gratitude ( read: gratuity)..has resulted in my meals being hot.

My husband just walked by and I had him read your comments. "I agree!" was his response. So, do I. :)

just answering the question, not looking to get criticized...

On the Grand Princess, we had a family reunion..12 of us...a very nice tip to the Maitre 'D and we received a very large plate of Tempura Shrimp one evening. We loooove Tempura Shrimp.

On many cruise lines we ask for whole black olives, carrot sticks, dip, and cubed cheeses to be on the table to eat with our bread before ordering dinner. Even Carnival has met this request each time.

I am ONLY SUGGESTING...but usually a generous tip at the time of the request helps to MAYBE get a special request.

I work in the food service industry, we have a restaurant, I guess I just know that servers will usually be willing to go over and above when a show of gratitude is made at the time of the request.

All too often people ask for special service, but then not show any special gratatitude in the form of what most servers appreciate...CASH.

After reading on these boards so many complaints about warm or even cold food, on our recent Easter cruise, I slipped our waitress a nice cash tip along with the request our food be Hot!!! She responded " Hot, like Me?"....and every dish, every meal was delivered Hot!!!

I kn ow, maybe you are thinking "why should I tip for hot food...that is what I expect!"

I am only saying, we read about how difficult our waitstaffs jobs have become, and delivering hot food has become less likely with all the duties they have...BUT..showing a little gratitude ( read: gratuity)..has resulted in my meals being hot.

Just curious, what's considered a generous tip?

Has any one asked for something that was not on the menu in the main dining room? I was wondering if I asked the night before to have a cob salad would they make it for me?

I have requested grilled onions for my steak and they made it for me. Grilled onions on a steak should be offered to begin with IMO.

I have also requested just a plain salad-lettuce and tomato only, no problem. I also request a plain baked potato as oppose to one with the "fixins"

They can tell me "no" if they are unable to do it.

I have requested grilled onions for my steak and they made it for me. Grilled onions on a steak should be offered to begin with IMO.

I have also requested just a plain salad-lettuce and tomato only, no problem. I also request a plain baked potato as oppose to one with the "fixins"

They can tell me "no" if they are unable to do it.

I have ordered a plain baked potato with no problem. Never thought to ask for grilled onions with a steak. Not a bad idea.

regarding my comments and tipping at time of request...

On the Grand Princess, I gave the Maitre 'D a $50..now we were a large group with other request other than the tempura.

On the recent Carnival Spirit, I gave "Hot likeMe?" a $10 tip at the time of asking for hot food, there were 4 of us.

Another example... I drink Diet Cokes..at dinner service it can take a while for drink server to get from bar to table..and the ice will melt rendering the diet coke a flat watery drink...However a $2.00 tip with the request of a seperate glass of ice, and bring the whole can results in a much better soda to drink. I would give her this tip each night, not just once.

Do not think I have money to throw around, we do not buy pictures, drink alcohol, and we save on shore excursions by doing our own. We do not do upscale dining....sooo to enhance our experience on the cruise, if tipping the proper people (i.e. pre paid gratuities) plus giving a little extra to the pizza maker that adds extra pepperoni, or the deli maker, or the busser, because we ask for just a little extra something, but are willing to show our gratitude for said extra something, that is how our experience comes out pleasant, and I do not have to complain about poor service....

We have found that on Carnival food is pre-plated and it is very difficult to even get anything modified off of the menu let alone something that is not on the menu at all. I was a vegetarian for many years and often asked for whatever pasta dish they were serving without the meat and usually was not able to get it. I have read, however, that if you give them advanced notice of specific dietary needs a week before your cruise they can meet your needs.

My wife is a big fan of the shrimp cocktails and would like to have one every night. Would it be possible to order one each night? On our 15-day cruise to Hawaii, the shrimp cocktail was only offered once at dinner! How disappointing!

:cool:Bill

My wife is a big fan of the shrimp cocktails and would like to have one every night. Would it be possible to order one each night? On our 15-day cruise to Hawaii, the shrimp cocktail was only offered once at dinner! How disappointing!

:cool:Bill

Nope they have done away with it.

regarding my comments and tipping at time of request...

Another example... I drink Diet Cokes..at dinner service it can take a while for drink server to get from bar to table..and the ice will melt rendering the diet coke a flat watery drink...However a $2.00 tip with the request of a seperate glass of ice, and bring the whole can results in a much better soda to drink. I would give her this tip each night, not just once.

Do not think I have money to throw around, we do not buy pictures, drink alcohol, and we save on shore excursions by doing our own. We do not do upscale dining....sooo to enhance our experience on the cruise, if tipping the proper people (i.e. pre paid gratuities) plus giving a little extra to the pizza maker that adds extra pepperoni, or the deli maker, or the busser, because we ask for just a little extra something, but are willing to show our gratitude for said extra something, that is how our experience comes out pleasant, and I do not have to complain about poor service....

If I had to bribe the drink server to bring me my soda cold would not buy it from her but go to a bar and get one just before walking into dinner.

Should not have to bribe a crew member to give good service.

Some of the posts in this thread are a perfect example of why it should be a law that you must wait tables for at least 6 months before being allowed to dine in a restaurant. This should be a federal law, applying to all 50 U.S. states, provinces and territories, and should obviously be extended to include any cruise ship embarking from a U.S. port.

Only those who have NOT waited tables for a living will disagree with the above statement.

Yesssss, great idea.

And anybody that wants to do a cruise need to have been stateroom steward for at least 6 months.

That will teach them !!

Only those who have NOT been stateroom stewards for a living will disagree with the above statement.

Archived