Trip Report: rented a car to visit historic overseas highway bridges

BigJon

Came in to Key West last week on the Disney Magic. We docked at the outer mole, and the Conch Train took us to the downtown area. I had reservations with Enterprise, and they sent a courtesy shuttle to pick us up. Car rental was quick (and we got a nice upgrade) and soon we were on our way up the Keys. My first stop was at Bahia Honda State Park. Entrance fee was $9 for me and my wife. We walked up the path that led to the bridge (top). I took some nice pictures of the bridge. It's really a strange site to look at it decaying, and falling apart. But very interesting. We then walked under the bridge with is another cool vantage point. We took off our sandals and walked along the beach. A couple of people were snorkeling, and some others were having a picnic. We then checked out the gift shop. Really liked our time (wasn't much time!) at Bahia Honda. This is a place I would love to come back to, and just hang out for a few hours. We then drove over the 7 mile bridge, and parked on Knights Key, and walked a little on the old bridge. We talked to some people there that are trying to raise money to refurbish the old bridge to Pigeon Key. They had a table there, and were asking for people to sign their petition. We gladly did, and told them that the old bridges were the reason we had rented a car, and drove up there.

After that, we drove to the other end of the old Bahia Honda bridge, and walked down a narrow path to take some pictures. Our next stop was Big Pine Key. We drove down Key Deer Blvd. hoping to spot a Key Deer. We drove down about 3 miles and didn't see one. So we turned around, and then my wife yelled "stop". And there was one right beside the road, so my wife snapped a couple of pictures. Before we got back on the Overseas Hwy. we stopped at the Winn Dixie shopping center, and went to Key West Key Lime Pie Company and got a chocolate dipped key lime pie slice. It was good. After that we drove back to Key West, and returned the car. Enterprise took us back downtown to catch our shuttle back to the ship. Wish we had more time in Key West that day, but we did a lot for such a short time. I hope to go back again some day.

Greetings

Yes many of the old bridges have fallen into disrepair. It takes a ton of money to maintain them. It wasn't all that many years ago when you could still drive out to Pigeon Key, but those days are now gone. The Bahia Honda bridge has always seemed so odd with the roadway perched atop the structure. And in the old days, it seemed very scary crossing that bridge. The drive down the keys is much easier with the new bridges, but the old ones will always hold a special place in the hearts of those who remember the narrow little paths down to the end of the rainbow.

Good Sailing

Tom

I use the "link to it" option on Webshots. You select the size image you want to post, then copy and paste the link in your post.

There are probably better and easier ways, but that is the one I know.

I have been to Key West three times on cruises (the most recent on Magic two weeks ago), but I really want to do the drive there and stay a few days.

• 3 weeks later...

I use Tinypic. It was suggested by one of the monitors here on CC. You just select the pic you want to upload (browse your file), choose the size you want the photo to be when you post it and click upload. It takes just a minute and it gives you a URL to copy and paste into your post. Easy as can be. This is one of my favorite Key West sunsets

2dklld4.jpg

Came in to Key West last week on the Disney Magic. We docked at the outer mole, and the Conch Train took us to the downtown area. I had reservations with Enterprise, and they sent a courtesy shuttle to pick us up. Car rental was quick (and we got a nice upgrade) and soon we were on our way up the Keys. My first stop was at Bahia Honda State Park. Entrance fee was $9 for me and my wife. We walked up the path that led to the bridge (top). I took some nice pictures of the bridge. It's really a strange site to look at it decaying, and falling apart. But very interesting. We then walked under the bridge with is another cool vantage point. We took off our sandals and walked along the beach. A couple of people were snorkeling, and some others were having a picnic. We then checked out the gift shop. Really liked our time (wasn't much time!) at Bahia Honda. This is a place I would love to come back to, and just hang out for a few hours. We then drove over the 7 mile bridge, and parked on Knights Key, and walked a little on the old bridge. We talked to some people there that are trying to raise money to refurbish the old bridge to Pigeon Key. They had a table there, and were asking for people to sign their petition. We gladly did, and told them that the old bridges were the reason we had rented a car, and drove up there.

After that, we drove to the other end of the old Bahia Honda bridge, and walked down a narrow path to take some pictures. Our next stop was Big Pine Key. We drove down Key Deer Blvd. hoping to spot a Key Deer. We drove down about 3 miles and didn't see one. So we turned around, and then my wife yelled "stop". And there was one right beside the road, so my wife snapped a couple of pictures. Before we got back on the Overseas Hwy. we stopped at the Winn Dixie shopping center, and went to Key West Key Lime Pie Company and got a chocolate dipped key lime pie slice. It was good. After that we drove back to Key West, and returned the car. Enterprise took us back downtown to catch our shuttle back to the ship. Wish we had more time in Key West that day, but we did a lot for such a short time. I hope to go back again some day.

BigJon, I am very happy you did this and got out of the tourist trap Duval St area. If not for vehicle crashes that tend to block the only 2-lane highway, I would suggest this a lot more often....and if I would have known you were doing this, I definitely would have suggested a few interesting back roads for you, including a road you would have definitely seen a whole flock of Key Deer.

Ref pictures, to paste large ones, you have to create some sort of on-line album. I use Webshots and use their "link to" feature. By the way, that trail on the south side of the Bahia Honda bridge is interesting, isn't it? Not much to stop you from a fatal plunge.

2449694230080150150S600x600Q85.jpg

Greetings

That's a great picture of the old bridge. Glad you got the shot before it falls into the sound. Just got back from a week of visiting old friends in the lower keys. Had a wonderful time.

MM0 or Bust

Tom

I want to emphasize that accidents can close the road for hours and there is no detour. This is not something I would do when in port on a cruise.

This road is crowded and dangerous enough already. No offense to cruisers, but do the locals a favor and stay in town. The last thing we need is for this to catch on and have thousands more people renting cars and driving on this road.

Hey BigJon!

Love the trip report! Thanks for taking the time to post and to post some pics, too! I, for one, am glad you took the time to travel out and see the highway. We will be doing this, too, on our trip in December. Crashes can happen with locals in owned (not rented) cars, too! :eek:

Nice to get away from the tourist trap! ;)

Hey BigJon!

Love the trip report! Thanks for taking the time to post and to post some pics, too! I, for one, am glad you took the time to travel out and see the highway. We will be doing this, too, on our trip in December. Crashes can happen with locals in owned (not rented) cars, too! :eek:

Nice to get away from the tourist trap! ;)[/

I hope there are no accidents from.locals or visitors the day you are here so you have a safe visit and make it back to your ship in time to leave. I would hate to see you stuck in the tourist trap. Be careful. Route 1 is a dangerous road.

This road is crowded and dangerous enough already. No offense to cruisers, but do the locals a favor and stay in town. The last thing we need is for this to catch on and have thousands more people renting cars and driving on this road.

Good grief.............:rolleyes:

Hey BigJon!

Nice to get away from the tourist trap! ;)[/

I hope there are no accidents from.locals or visitors the day you are here so you have a safe visit and make it back to your ship in time to leave. I would hate to see you stuck in the tourist trap. Be careful. Route 1 is a dangerous road.

Ummmm... Yeah. You are funny. :rolleyes:

Route 1 is not dangerous. Been there done that! This isn't my first "rodeo" so to speak. Been to Key West MANY times. Thanks for the "safe trip" wishes... Although they don't seem particularly genuine! Oh... And we don't need to hurry back to our ship! We're staying in Key West for a week.

For being a "Key Wester" (as you say), you sure don't represent the locals very well!! We have found other locals to be VERY helpful and kind.

I say Find your happiness in being kind to others... Rather than being a sarcastic pain in the butt. :D

Ummmm... Yeah. You are funny. :rolleyes:

Route 1 is not dangerous. Been there done that! This isn't my first "rodeo" so to speak. Been to Key West MANY times. Thanks for the "safe trip" wishes... Although they don't seem particularly genuine! Oh... And we don't need to hurry back to our ship! We're staying in Key West for a week.

For being a "Key Wester" (as you say), you sure don't represent the locals very well!! We have found other locals to be VERY helpful and kind.

I say Find your happiness in being kind to others... Rather than being a sarcastic pain in the butt. :D

Wow, Sorry I rubbed you the wrong way. My advise is genuine and was not meant to be sarcastic. Route 1 is a very dangerous road and there are many deaths each year. Look up the Florida DOT statistics if you doubt that. I have lived in Key West for 25 years and love visitors and helping others get the most out of their vacations. That is why I post on this board and others. Since you called our home a "tourist trap" I assumed you were not staying.

I certainly did not intend to rub anyone the wrong way. Like most small towns, we try to balance millions of visitors with safety and the quality of our own lives. I think thousands of more cars of Route One would be a disaster unless the road was improved. Anyway, believe it or not, I do hope you have a nice visit to our island and am sorry if anyone was offended by my post.

OK, now you are scaring me. :eek: We are driving down next month, towing our 24' travel trailer. Staying at a couple of state parks including Bahia Honda. Just how dangerous are these roads? Like the ALCAN? When we get to Key West we will drop our TT off at Boyd's campground and stay in town for three nights. Can't wait to see and photograph the old bridges. :D

OK, now you are scaring me. :eek: We are driving down next month, towing our 24' travel trailer. Staying at a couple of state parks including Bahia Honda. Just how dangerous are these roads? Like the ALCAN? When we get to Key West we will drop our TT off at Boyd's campground and stay in town for three nights. Can't wait to see and photograph the old bridges. :D

I don't think you have anything to be scared/nervous about. As with ANY high speed busy highway, your safety is largely in your own hands. Yes, you can't control other driver's, but YOU can drive safely, wear your seatbelts and concentrate on the drive.

I live in Colorado... Home to MANY scary 2 lane busy highways with thousand foot drops and no guardrails. A1A is safer than many of those highways.

...and yes, I DID look up DOT in FL for lower key. Many of the fatal accidents that have been reported in the past year were bicycle accidents and pedestrians walking across the highway.

I wouldn't be worried. Enjoy your wonderful trip!! I can't wait to see your beautiful photographs.

I don't think you have anything to be scared/nervous about. As with ANY high speed busy highway, your safety is largely in your own hands. Yes, you can't control other driver's, but YOU can drive safely, wear your seatbelts and concentrate on the drive.

I live in Colorado... Home to MANY scary 2 lane busy highways with thousand foot drops and no guardrails. A1A is safer than many of those highways.

...and yes, I DID look up DOT in FL for lower key. Many of the fatal accidents that have been reported in the past year were bicycle accidents and pedestrians walking across the highway.

I wouldn't be worried. Enjoy your wonderful trip!! I can't wait to see your beautiful photographs.

We have traveled all over this awesome country, and yes, you are right. Colorado has some of the scariest highways out there. Coming off those mountians with the big rigs is terfying.

• 3 weeks later...

I think KeyWester's main point here was just to warn cruisers that the possibility exists that if there was an accident (caused by local or tourist) the road could be closed for hours and you could miss the ship. Of course, the same is true for any excursion not through the cruiseline.

Route 1 is a little intimidating (and I've driven everywhere from LA to NYC). The scariest part for me WAS the bridges.....nothing but water below :eek:

Paula

Just to echo the last post, it is a weird coincidence in the Keys that crashes almost always seem to happen on bridges. It's mostly due to rubber necking slow pokes who then incite road rage and aggressiveness in other drivers. The result is a crash with no way to detour around it. As such, I do understand where KeyWester was coming from. It is a good warning and something to be aware of.

That said, of course, the chances are very slim. After all, I've been driving US1 for 15 years and have never been in a crash. On average, I would say I get held up in a significant delay about once a year.

Just to echo the last post, it is a weird coincidence in the Keys that crashes almost always seem to happen on bridges. It's mostly due to rubber necking slow pokes who then incite road rage and aggressiveness in other drivers. The result is a crash with no way to detour around it. As such, I do understand where KeyWester was coming from. It is a good warning and something to be aware of.

That said, of course, the chances are very slim. After all, I've been driving US1 for 15 years and have never been in a crash. On average, I would say I get held up in a significant delay about once a year.

Thank you for clarifying! You are one CC Key Wester whose opinion I greatly respect. Thank you for being so helpful to those of us visiting your home. I try to do the same for those who travel to Colorado!! Snowy, icy roads can be intimidating.

• 2 months later...

BigJon, I am very happy you did this and got out of the tourist trap Duval St area. If not for vehicle crashes that tend to block the only 2-lane highway, I would suggest this a lot more often....and if I would have known you were doing this, I definitely would have suggested a few interesting back roads for you, including a road you would have definitely seen a whole flock of Key Deer.

Aquahound.........we will be in KW in January and driving up the keys. Where are these back roads to see flocks of the Key Deer?

Thanks

Aquahound.........we will be in KW in January and driving up the keys. Where are these back roads to see flocks of the Key Deer?

Big Pine Key. At the traffic light on Big Pine Key, turn left. The road splits immediately....Key Deer Blvd on the left and Wilder Rd on the right. Take the left fork down Key Deer Blvd. Folks, including the Op tend to stay on Key Deer. Instead, a little ways down, turn right on Watson. You'll come to a stop sign and you have to turn left (north) to stay on Watson. Keep heading north on Watson (aka SR 4A) until you go over a bridge and out to No Name Key. Drive slowly across No Name Key until you reach the dead end. This area typically flocks of Key Deer.

While in that area, I highly recommend the No Name Pub for lunch. It's a dark, hole in the wall with dollar bills stapled all over the walls and ceiling, and the food is excellent. Trust me, you won't regret it.

Big Pine Key. At the traffic light on Big Pine Key, turn left. The road splits immediately....Key Deer Blvd on the left and Wilder Rd on the right. Take the left fork down Key Deer Blvd. Folks, including the Op tend to stay on Key Deer. Instead, a little ways down, turn right on Watson. You'll come to a stop sign and you have to turn left (north) to stay on Watson. Keep heading north on Watson (aka SR 4A) until you go over a bridge and out to No Name Key. Drive slowly across No Name Key until you reach the dead end. This area typically flocks of Key Deer.

While in that area, I highly recommend the No Name Pub for lunch. It's a dark, hole in the wall with dollar bills stapled all over the walls and ceiling, and the food is excellent. Trust me, you won't regret it.

Thanks.........copied and put it in my notes. I did read about No Name Pub and will stop there for lunch......sounds like fun.

Carol

Archived