What Do The Captain's Quarters Look Like?

Hello everyone !

I've been wondering these days what do the Captain's Quarters look like? In what kind of accommodation do they live? More akin to a suite, or a normal officer's accommodation, etc.?

Has anybody in this area or have a photograph? All I could find was the Captain's Quarters of the old RMS Queen Mary, and they are sumptuous to say the least.

Sometimes I hear of the Captain hosting cocktail parties in their 'quarters', so I am guessing the area is also adequate for entertaining.

I have been to the Captain's office twice on two different cruise ships, but never into the quarters themselves. Anyone have an idea?

Regards,

bahrain_not_dubai!

So I can help with location. When we did a bridge tour I noticed a door right before you make a left to the door that leads into the bridge. It had the Captains name on the door, it was more of a slide in plaque of sort, it was either his office or his office/Cabin. I also noticed that when we went out of the bridge and went the other direction there was another door just like the opposite side, but it had the Captains name on it who was not on the ship, but on vacation. This post makes no sense, but it helps with location I think. But this is a great question.

So I can help with location. When we did a bridge tour I noticed a door right before you make a left to the door that leads into the bridge. It had the Captains name on the door, it was more of a slide in plaque of sort, it was either his office or his office/Cabin. I also noticed that when we went out of the bridge and went the other direction there was another door just like the opposite side, but it had the Captains name on it who was not on the ship, but on vacation. This post makes no sense, but it helps with location I think. But this is a great question.

The Captains quarters are always located on the starboard side, either just aft of the bridge (Radiance Class and larger) or down one deck on the Sovereign and Vision Class ships. The opposite side is reserved for the Chief Engineer. Those two have the best officers quarters on the ship. I have been invited to both.

The Captain has quarters that come close to the size of the Royal Suite, but laid out much differently. They have a "powder room" bath, kitchen, office, bedroom with full bath, and a living, dining room, with a dining table to hold about 10, and a nice relaxing living room.

The two Captains that rotate....one is a Senior Captain, and the other is his reliever, will work together to decorate the space that is comfortable between them.

I have pictures, but choose not to post them, as I feel that they enjoy their privacy.

I hope this answers the OP's question.;)

Rick

The Captains quarters are always located on the starboard side, either just aft of the bridge (Radiance Class and larger) or down one deck on the Sovereign and Vision Class ships. The opposite side is reserved for the Chief Engineer. Those two have the best officers quarters on the ship. I have been invited to both.

The Captain has quarters that come close to the size of the Royal Suite, but laid out much differently. They have a "powder room" bath, kitchen, office, bedroom with full bath, and a living, dining room, with a dining table to hold about 10, and a nice relaxing living room.

The two Captains that rotate....one is a Senior Captain, and the other is his reliever, will work together to decorate the space that is comfortable between them.

I have pictures, but choose not to post them, as I feel that they enjoy their privacy.

I hope this answers the OP's question.;)

Rick

Lots of good info here Rick

When we did a bridge tour on FR, we walked right by the Captain's cabin. The door was open but he had something hanging across the doorway so you couldn't see in. Honestly, I can't remember if it was beads or a wall hanging or something. I would expect their cabins to be nice. They also need to be close to the bridge in case they get called in the middle of the night. The Captain then doesn't have to go through public spaces to get to the bridge. There are several officer's cabins near the bridge both on the port and starboard side. We also have been on the bridge on EX, but the Captain's cabin door was shut.

The Captains' quarters are always starboard per tradition.

I was on the final winter crossing of the retired QE2 back in January 2008, and the Winter Crossing Club did a "Cabin Cavalcade" that had a surprise finale in the Captain's day room. Captain Ian McNaught graciously hosted us and answered questions as well as posed for photo's. His actual bedroom door was closed, but the day room was very large...enough to easily accommodate approximately 35 of us. He had easy access to the bridge, naturally. The cabin was decorated with a plethora of Cunard photo's and memorabilia.

We haven't been in the Captain's quarters but have been in the Hotel Director's suite on Jewel of the Seas and found it to be both spacious and comfortably furnished, with a dining area, large living room area, bathroom and sleeping quarters, all the way forward on Deck 9 starboard, if I remember correctly.

We were on HAL's Veendam 2 years back NYC to Bermuda. We lucked out big time. I had posted a review back then on it as it was so exciting.

We were standing at the front of the ship, one deck down from the bridge when I happened to look up and an officer motioned with his hand to come up. I said to DH, is he calling us? He said " he's calling you" LOL.

DH was enjoying his cigar and said " you go". I did!!! First time ever being invited onto/in the bridge. It was amazing, that big steering wheel I had in my mind was no where to be found. All buttons and controls. I didn't realize that the gentlemen/officer from the night before I had a picture taken with was Captain Rik. DH finished his cigar and Capt. had an officer go down and bring him up. We sailed into hamilton bermuda from up there. I got to wake Bermuda up and press the magical horn button. He said 8 seconds, I said what the heck, wake em up LOL. The harbor master came on board and he's the one who docks us. It was amazing listening and watching what happens as they try and manuever this huge ship into the slip. They have glass windows on the floor to see the pier location. Very informative.

I asked Capt. Rik about where he stayed and instead of telling us, he showed us. His quarters were directly behind the bridge. You first walked into his office area, a dining/living room combo behind that and in the corner with a curtain drawn was his sleeping quarters. It was very nice and roomy. He let me take some pics and then led us out the back way. Of course I felt like royalty at this point. It does get better , wait.

It was an amazing morning that followed with better things during the week. When we returned from our touristy bermuda day we went back to our cabin to find an invitation to the captains coctail party. It was fantastic. We met up with the Capt. and his crew throughout the week.

On the day arriving back to NYC we went back to the front as I always love to see NYC/NJ head on at sunrise. We had no intention (I ) of looking back/up as I didn't want to intrude. I didn't have to, that same officer came down and said " Capt. Rik would like you both to enjoy this from the bridge"... We (okay more me- it's a girl thing) will never forget that very personal attention. I asked the capt about the rules since 9/11 and he said holland is more relaxed. I guess so. It was an experience to never forget. We met some great friends throughout the week on cruise critic that we're still friendly with. They still tease me about that too.

Capt. Rik has since been promotoed to I think it was called Director of Nautical operations.

That was the one cruise we will never forget. The entire staff on that ship was the most friendly and personable we've ever encountered.

I sent a TY note when we arrived home and it was acknowledged which was fantastic.

We were on HAL's Veendam 2 years back NYC to Bermuda. We lucked out big time. I had posted a review back then on it as it was so exciting.

We were standing at the front of the ship, one deck down from the bridge when I happened to look up and an officer motioned with his hand to come up. I said to DH, is he calling us? He said " he's calling you" LOL.

DH was enjoying his cigar and said " you go". I did!!! First time ever being invited onto/in the bridge. It was amazing, that big steering wheel I had in my mind was no where to be found. All buttons and controls. I didn't realize that the gentlemen/officer from the night before I had a picture taken with was Captain Rik. DH finished his cigar and Capt. had an officer go down and bring him up. We sailed into hamilton bermuda from up there. I got to wake Bermuda up and press the magical horn button. He said 8 seconds, I said what the heck, wake em up LOL. The harbor master came on board and he's the one who docks us. It was amazing listening and watching what happens as they try and manuever this huge ship into the slip. They have glass windows on the floor to see the pier location. Very informative.

I asked Capt. Rik about where he stayed and instead of telling us, he showed us. His quarters were directly behind the bridge. You first walked into his office area, a dining/living room combo behind that and in the corner with a curtain drawn was his sleeping quarters. It was very nice and roomy. He let me take some pics and then led us out the back way. Of course I felt like royalty at this point. It does get better , wait.

It was an amazing morning that followed with better things during the week. When we returned from our touristy bermuda day we went back to our cabin to find an invitation to the captains coctail party. It was fantastic. We met up with the Capt. and his crew throughout the week.

On the day arriving back to NYC we went back to the front as I always love to see NYC/NJ head on at sunrise. We had no intention (I ) of looking back/up as I didn't want to intrude. I didn't have to, that same officer came down and said " Capt. Rik would like you both to enjoy this from the bridge"... We (okay more me- it's a girl thing) will never forget that very personal attention. I asked the capt about the rules since 9/11 and he said holland is more relaxed. I guess so. It was an experience to never forget. We met some great friends throughout the week on cruise critic that we're still friendly with. They still tease me about that too.

Capt. Rik has since been promotoed to I think it was called Director of Nautical operations.

That was the one cruise we will never forget. The entire staff on that ship was the most friendly and personable we've ever encountered.

I sent a TY note when we arrived home and it was acknowledged which was fantastic.

What a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing.

Wow, what a fortunate experience you had!:cool::)

At first following 9-11, the lines really tightened up security, and such visits became a rarity. Recently, they relaxed quite a bit, even going so far as selling 'insider's tours' to passengers of the bridge, and other behind the scene's locations.

In light of the recent Costa Concordia disaster, where it was revealed that the Captain was entertaining and perhaps distracted by visitors on the bridge during critical navigation, I would look to lines tightening up access once again, so you were indeed very fortunate!

We really were. I must say the Captain was doing his job the whole time. The only real entertaining was during the captains coctail party.

He was a true professional the entire time.

We remained perfectly quiet as they were preparing to dock in Hamilton. My DH made sure of that LOL, he kept elbowing me when he felt a question coming LOL.

Everytime we board a ship (since then) we always bring up Capt. Rik and the Veendam. It'll never happen again I'm sure, but so glad it did then.

We both found the entire process so interesting.

Wow, what a fortunate experience you had!:cool::)

At first following 9-11, the lines really tightened up security, and such visits became a rarity. Recently, they relaxed quite a bit, even going so far as selling 'insider's tours' to passengers of the bridge, and other behind the scene's locations.

In light of the recent Costa Concordia disaster, where it was revealed that the Captain was entertaining and perhaps distracted by visitors on the bridge during critical navigation, I would look to lines tightening up access once again, so you were indeed very fortunate!

I don't doubt it for a moment he has pictures. I have had an amazing experience and have tons of our own pix. I did post them at the time with the review., I have them on my fb for friend/family.

Thanks! Those on the boards that know us, know the truth. And the pictures shown, look to be from a Sovereign Class ship. A Captain, some time ago, had his cabin redone with hardwood flooring in the "rotunda" entryway. Their cabin is located one deck down from the bridge, with a stairway that is located just aft of the bridge, out of the public eye.

My DW and I feel very fortunate to have gotten to know some of the Captains on different cruise lines (we do sail from 8 to 15 cruises per year)

and that is why we have been invited in.;)

Rick

Your welcome, glad you liked it.

I'm trying to post 1 or 2 pics from my photos on computer but it keeps saying "failed". I deleted my webshots acct a while back. Don't want people copyig my phots.

Any suggestions?

What a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing.

It's a real wonderful experience. Glad we both got to do it.

I'm trying to post a pic or two but its telling me it "failed". I don't have webshots any longer. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks! Those on the boards that know us, know the truth. And the pictures shown, look to be from a Sovereign Class ship. A Captain, some time ago, had his cabin redone with hardwood flooring in the "rotunda" entryway. Their cabin is located one deck down from the bridge, with a stairway that is located just aft of the bridge, out of the public eye.

My DW and I feel very fortunate to have gotten to know some of the Captains on different cruise lines (we do sail from 8 to 15 cruises per year)

and that is why we have been invited in.;)

Rick

We caught a glimpse of the captain's quarters during our bridge tour on the Adventure of the Sea this past March. The door was wide open but we could not see much....a nice sized foyer with a marble floor that had an inlaid pattern similar to a compass rose, and thru the opposite side of the foyer was a carpeted living room area. I quickly snapped a shot as we walked by at the end of our tour, but it was a little blurry and for the life of me I can't get the thing to upload to the post!

we were on hal's veendam 2 years back nyc to bermuda. We lucked out big time. I had posted a review back then on it as it was so exciting.

We were standing at the front of the ship, one deck down from the bridge when i happened to look up and an officer motioned with his hand to come up. I said to dh, is he calling us? He said " he's calling you" lol.

Dh was enjoying his cigar and said " you go". I did!!! First time ever being invited onto/in the bridge. It was amazing, that big steering wheel i had in my mind was no where to be found. All buttons and controls. I didn't realize that the gentlemen/officer from the night before i had a picture taken with was captain rik. Dh finished his cigar and capt. Had an officer go down and bring him up. We sailed into hamilton bermuda from up there. I got to wake bermuda up and press the magical horn button. He said 8 seconds, i said what the heck, wake em up lol. The harbor master came on board and he's the one who docks us. It was amazing listening and watching what happens as they try and manuever this huge ship into the slip. They have glass windows on the floor to see the pier location. Very informative.

I asked capt. Rik about where he stayed and instead of telling us, he showed us. His quarters were directly behind the bridge. You first walked into his office area, a dining/living room combo behind that and in the corner with a curtain drawn was his sleeping quarters. It was very nice and roomy. He let me take some pics and then led us out the back way. Of course i felt like royalty at this point. It does get better , wait.

It was an amazing morning that followed with better things during the week. When we returned from our touristy bermuda day we went back to our cabin to find an invitation to the captains coctail party. It was fantastic. We met up with the capt. And his crew throughout the week.

On the day arriving back to nyc we went back to the front as i always love to see nyc/nj head on at sunrise. We had no intention (i ) of looking back/up as i didn't want to intrude. I didn't have to, that same officer came down and said " capt. Rik would like you both to enjoy this from the bridge"... We (okay more me- it's a girl thing) will never forget that very personal attention. I asked the capt about the rules since 9/11 and he said holland is more relaxed. I guess so. It was an experience to never forget. We met some great friends throughout the week on cruise critic that we're still friendly with. They still tease me about that too.

Capt. Rik has since been promotoed to i think it was called director of nautical operations.

I sent a ty note when we arrived home and it was acknowledged which was fantastic.

awesome!!!:)

It's a real wonderful experience. Glad we both got to do it.

I'm trying to post a pic or two but its telling me it "failed". I don't have webshots any longer. Am I doing something wrong?

Are you familiar with www.tinypic.com

When I had no clue of how to post a picture, someone came to my aid

1. Go to the tinypic website

2. Hit the "Browse" button and it will take you to your pictures you have downloaded on your computer.

3. Double click on the pic you want to post

4. Then go to resize default and hit "message board"

5. Upload

6. After it's uploaded it will take you to a new screen

7. Highlight the "messageboard IMG" and right click "copy"

8. right click to paste inside your message

Let me know if this works for you.:)

Rick

THANK YOU! Far more informative than boasting that you have pictures but won't post them!:)

If you can identify this Captain, who is next to my DW, on a friends sailing yacht, you might understand why we have been there. Sorry yogimax, no boasting.

256e3o5.jpg

Archived