Anyone taken a 1 year old on a port intensive Med cruise? (please share thoughts)

Is there no close relative who can stay behind with the baby in the U.S.?

If they must take the baby, I would suggest that ship's excursions are NOT the way to go. They are structured, time-regimented and will hold a busload of

people who will not find it cute to listen to a crying baby or wait while baby is being changed.

So, to be clear, you want your first cruise to be all that YOU want, which will mean full day, fast paced excursions, local cuisine, and a variety of dining venues onboard the ship. Your friends will be held back from that type of touring and will, out of necessity, have to avoid several of the restaurants you choose to dine at. So, how is exactly is this going to be a shared experience? A good friend will ne happy for you finally having a dream come true and would not chime in to turn that dream into a nightmare!

BTW, DH and I have two sons, now 29 and 31. Their first cruise, at ages 8 and 10, was to Alaska where there were lots of physical activities to hold their interest (rafting, gold panning, etc.). When they were infants and toddlers, trips were to Disney World or beach resorts. Afternoon naps in the hotel were always part of the schedule ~ and I took one too. Traveling with a youngster is exhausting.

Please stop being so polite and politically correct with your friend and accurately let your concerns be known. Approach it not as an indictment but as a way of trying to make things work. Be honest about all you are going to do and let your friends be honest with you and themselves about whether they can keep up with you. You should not be expected to change your plans just because you shared them with your friend. Good luck.

Harriet

Oli

We just returned from a port intensive cruise in the Med. -- two 10 night back to back cruises with a new port every day. A stoller would not work in some of the places we visited as the child could get crushed. I'm being honest here -- it was difficult for an adult to move around in some areas (and it isn't the height of the season yet). Venice, although beautiful, was the most difficult to negotiate because of having to go up and down stairs every block (over the canals). Yes -- there is a ramp but it is was too crowded to get to it.

I asked a tour guide what it was like in August...... her response was "hell". Not only would I not want to put up with the Med. in the summer, I would not subject any child to it. While I don't know (or recall) what month you plan to sail, hopefully it is not in June/July/August.

I completely and totally agree with all of you. The plan was 2 couples by the way - one couple has a baby.

I was concerned about this from the get go which is why I started asking around the forums on what people thought about a baby on a Med cruise. My friends don't think the baby would affect things at all but of course its their baby and they see things through rosy eyes. I actually do think that a caribbean cruise or a disney ship would be a wonderful vacation for a family with kids that young. As in, I wouldn't avoid cruising altogether - but like many have said, a Med cruise is a completely different kind of vacation and you really don't wanna miss out on all the sight seeing and the experience the way its meant to be because of the limitations of traveling with a young child. Now I have heard of people who do it and seem to think it was doable and everyone was just a naysayer. But why take such a risk.

I can't tell my friends NOT to go or stop them from whatever they want to do, but I am just trying to distance myself in my own plans and not try to collaborate as much and just to make it clear that I don't intend to miss out on anything because this trip is about me seeing the places I would love to see and I don't want to be slowed down. As for them, I love them dearly but frankly I can't imagine how it is they will have a good time unless they scale things back and realize that the baby is the priority. In which case - why not go Disney for now.

You mentioned earlier on that part of their cost was going to be paid for by an employer. Is this trip even considered vacation time for them? To me if you are spending hard earned money and vacation time on this trip then you have every right to want to spend your port time and vacation in general as you see fit. Personally, dinners with a baby would not upset me and I would even give up a night or two and bring the crib into my room and let my friends have a fun night out and some couple time. Having one or two early nights (provided the baby sleeps through the night) would be very welcomed to me on a 2 week port intensive med cruise. Like others have suggested if you let the other couple know your expectations before you go it will help keep things from getting uncomfortable.

• 2 weeks later...

I of course do not know these people, but they sound very unrealistic, immature, selfish , etc!! They need a wake up call and the video that was on the CC board was definatly that. Of course you cannot tell them not to go, but I'ts a damned if you do and damned if you dont that your looking at. Stand your ground in a firm but nice way whatever you decide. I too would like to read you review :eek:.

Absolutely do not go with a couple with a baby. If I was married without kids, there is no way that I would choose to travel with a couple with a baby. No way!

If you don't have kids of your own yet, this is the perfect time to take advantage of off season prices and great rates. The world is your oyster.

In 2002 I took my then 14 year old son to Italy. My younger son was 19 months at the time. I realized that my older son would not have my focus if the little one came along. I realized that everything would revolve around the needs of a toddler. I called my sister and paid her way to come to Maryland to babysit for me. My childless sister loves being an aunt and was thrilled to have the baby all to herself. My husband didn't want to go to Italy in the first place so he stayed home with our toddler and my sister.

I am so glad that I did that trip with my older son. We could be much more spontaneous. We just hopped on the train and did our thing. We had great leisurely dinners. We lingered in the Vatican. Went back a second time to the Vatican to climb to the top and out to the roof. We walked from the Vatican to the Colluseum and back to our Hotel. We stayed up late, slept in late. In other words it was a relaxing vacation. This would NOT be the case with a baby.

I missed my son in the US but was sure glad I didn't bring him along.

thank you for all the great advice! I really have appreciated your truly honest opinions. As it is, I have happened to talk to my friend and told her that we may have to go our separate ways because it would be better for us to travel at a time not convenient for them. I think its for the best really. I don't want to strain our friendship in any way.

They just got back from vacation and swore their baby was just perfect. Like "not having a baby"... but somehow.... I just don't think it would be the same experience when one has to have to take a little one along and worry about the whole time. I'm sure its doable and many parents do just that. And I do love little kids. But for once in a lifetime trip to Europe... I'd just rather give Europe my full undivided attention.

What is the cruise line, do they have support for children this young?

Are they willing to take them from restaurants when they are fussy. Not take them in the pool because they are in diapers. Recognize that many ports require 1-2 hours trip to get to destination city and most do not have car seats.

Are they willing to stay back with the child to ensure they get their day nap time or think the child can sleep in carrier anywhere?

Are you willing to take the stares of passengers who maybe upset when they don't take their children out of a show or restaurant when they are fussy and crying. Are you willing to miss out on many sites do to the walking or limited time that can be spent put with the baby? Have you agreed that you can tour separately and meet at night if that is needed?

Will the crew love the baby depends on how they are. Most do because they miss their children. Be realistic are they doing this for the child and is this really the best idea for a child of that age and for your friendship. Sound like you have some concerns to start with trust you gut.

Good luck.

NalCruiser...

I have two kids (ages 11 and 24) and am a single parent. I travel every year with must my son. I don't ask friends along or even my older son. I want to do things with my son because I want to spend my vacation time with him. They grow up so fast.

We have great trips together. None of my friends with grown children have ever asked to go with me. I'm sure none of them wanted to travel with a little kid. I totally get why they wouldn't. I love my child but I don't expect everyone else to or for everyone else to dumb down their vacation to suit a small child- especially in Europe.

Most other posters have given opinions more on the interpersonal dynamics of traveling with a baby -- and these are definitely things you must consider.

But since you asked for other kinds of information -- things you should share with your friends -- I'll try to give a few concrete examples of why it would be physically difficult to travel with a 1-year-old. It's not impossible, mind you, but unless you are someone who puts a LOT of thought into planning, things may end up disastrously.

• Changing diapers -- few bathrooms indeed in Europe have anywhere to change a baby. They'll have to work out a way to change her/him that's at least semi-private. (Please, not on the tour bus....) And they will either have to cart a suitcase of diapers with them or will have to buy them in ports.
  • Getting around -- most streets and sidewalks in major European cities are relatively to very stroller unfriendly. In the best case, a lightweight, fold-up stroller with sturdy "cross country" type wheels and good maneuverability might work some of the time. But it won't work on cobblestones and may be less than ideal under situations of extreme crowding (e.g., Vatican museum). Venice would be impossible with a stroller as would, I think, Oia (Santorini). What will you do with the stroller when not in use? A back carrier is maybe a better option, but a) the baby must be used to it ahead of time and b) it is heavy and can get very hot for the person carrying the baby.
  • Weather -- if you're going in the heat of summer, you will have to take care that the baby doesn't get overheated, especially if in a back carrier. The ruins of Pompeii or Ephesus, for example, are brutal in summer; the rocks radiate heat and there is very, very little shade to be found.
  • Meals -- How will they deal with being off the ship on a long day tour such as to Rome (an hour plus from ship) or Florence (90 minutes)? Will they bring snacks and food from home that the baby is accustomed to? What about drinks? Milk or formula, and will it be available? At a year, it's entirely possible that the baby will want the foods he/she is used to eating and may fuss if they are not available readily.
  • Shipboard -- Do your friends realize that even a relaxing day on board may not be as relaxing as they think with a baby? Most ships do not allow children who are not potty-trained to use any of the onboard pools (a very few ships do have a child-friendly pool). Many cabins only have showers, not tubs. Children's clubs also do not allow kids that young to stay on most lines (although again I believe some will allow a child to come in and play IF accompanied by an adult who is responsible for them).
  • Safety -- Taking care of a baby is a major distraction. Your friends will need to be very careful (particularly in some places, like Barcelona) that they don't make themselves an easy target for pickpockets.
  • Organization -- Are they extremely organized? Can they get out the door every morning with everything they will need plus everything the baby will need for the day? Coming back to the ship to get the favorite blanket or bag of Cheerios that was forgotten may not be an option, unlike a land stay in a centrally located hotel.

These are just a few things off the top of my head that I would definitely share with your friends. They really will have to put a lot of thought into this if they want to pull off a successful vacation. (And I don't think you should have to make it into your problem -- but unfortunately if your friends don't plan well, and are faced with an "emergency" such as running out of diapers and ask your help to find some, or whatever else, then it will become your problem.)

I never traveled to Europe with my son until he was 5, but even at that age, I had to expend a lot of time and energy thinking of ways to entertain him, keep him from being a nuisance to others, making sure he had a chance to decompress, etc. I found it hard to focus on and enjoy the trip as much as I would have had he been older. I also had to fly with him fairly often from an early age (a few months) right through toddlerhood, school, and now college. I still look back on the early trips and wonder that we both survived unscathed. :o

We took our son to the Baltics when he was a year and a half. But we also took a 4 day tester cruise with him a few months prior to see how he would do. On both trips he did fine. However we also knew that we had to accommodate to him a little and be very flexible. For example, when we went to Ireland we went on a nice tour of the Blarney castle. But we also gave him time to run around the courtyard and the playground they had on property. While in London we knew not to stay up past his bedtime to give him time to rest and sleep.

When cruising or any type of vacation for that matter with a small child you have to remember that if you don't give them time to relax, rest and burn some energy they won't do well. If they are cranky and tired, you will be cranky too and eventually tired too. I do not regret bringing him along because we built some great memories as a family, whether the child himself remembered or not. I love taking him in out travels (we also go on short trips by ourselves too) because we want him to grow up learning about other cultures, languages, even adjusting to different time zones, it is all part of his development we want him to have.

I say that the OP's friend should take the baby as long as they are willing to be flexible and know that it will not be the same vacation as it is with just the parents going.

We did a Med cruise in May. There were a surprising, to me, number of babies and pre-schoolers on board. Most seemed to do fine.

BTW, I am a mother and grandmother and have taken 7 grandkids on a cruise, just my dh and myself, though none that young.

On our cruise, we were on a private expedition in Athens with a young couple who had a 8 month old and 5 year old along. They got along very well during the rather long day. But:

The parents, especially the Mom, were very energetic and hands on, yet laid back with the baby. They were prepared with stroller, baby sling, etc.

The baby was a very easy-going baby; I barely heard her at all; easy to sooth, happy, and she was also 8 months, not a year +, so not walking and not especially active. One of my granddaughters at that age was walking and could not tolerate just sitting for long.

And, they were willing to be flexible; they went to the Acropolis, but not into the museum. They didn't spend a lot of time shopping. At some stops they just let the kids run around or have a snack. Etc.

We saw them again on Mykonos where they just went to a nearby beach and let the kids play.

The parents need to be flexible, energetic, aware of how the baby might affect others, and understand that no, they can't do everything with a baby in tow. Most of the time they will have to give up some things they want to do so the child can be happy. Ports will be mostly about what the baby can tolerate.

It will be doable, but very hard work, and you need to set up some guidelines so that your cruise isn't too badly impacted by the baby.

I'd be terrified of the flight with an active one-year-old! Some kids are much more passive and handle such things very well, other, not so much.

There is a big difference between and infant who is not crawling yet and a toddler. My six month old was great. My friend's 9 month old was not as great (this was a Caribbean cruise). The 9 month old was a "good" baby but had started to crawl- so didn't want to sit for long periods of time- which is perfectly normal. He wanted to crawl and explore.

My experience traveling with my 13 month old was that once I put him down- he would run down the halls and climb up the metal steps by the pool. He wanted to explore. That's what they do at that age. I just found empty lounges by day for him to run around and took him in the empty theatre. This area was so fun for him. As for me... I would have rather been relaxing by the pool but relaxing is completely impossible on a cruise. Parents have to take turns with the child and you have no couple time really. I don't think I would ever take a child to Europe at that age. No way.

thank you for all the great advice! I'm sure its doable and many parents do just that. And I do love little kids. But for once in a lifetime trip to Europe... I'd just rather give Europe my full undivided attention.
That's the most important thought. A Med cruise with the airfare is a LOT of $$ and hard-earned vacation time. You will want to see and do as much as you possibly can in each port, and having even a well-behaved baby along WILL prevent you from seeing what you otherwise could have in every port for the reasons stated on this thread. Every sit-down meal you have while off the ship (if any) will be affected.

Doing Rome in a day's shore excursion is impossible to begin with, doing it with a baby in a day, or any other rush-rush type of "let's see everything we can" port visit, just doesn't work.

Les

This could turn out to be a very expensive mistake for you. When my daughter was 15 months old we went to Disneyworld. It was the worst vacation ever. She had started to walk at 12 months (run actually) and would not sit or stand still. We would not eat in restaurants since we did not want to disturb others diners and this was Disney. We were exhausted running after her.

No mention was made here of other cruisers and vacationers who would be impacted by the behaviour of a rambunctious 1 year. You may be in for some uncomfortable stares and comments if the child acts up (or acts like a one year old).

Be careful what cruise line you select since some are more tolerable than others and offer better programs for infants/toddlers. Does the ship you are sailing on have fixed or open dining? No offense here but I don't want to dine with a one year old at my table. Be aware that many European city streets are cobblestones and make pushing a stroller more difficult.

Best of luck to you no matter what your decision and have fun.

I was in this predicament in 2002 and really agonized about the trip. Then my husband gracefully back out (he probably didn't really want to go anyway). I flew my sister in to help out with our little guy- who would be 19 months a when we were set to go to Italy.

I ended up going with my then 14 year old son and we had an absolute ball. It was a great bonding experience for us and we didn't have to dumb everything down to suit an 19 month old. It was great- we stayed up late, got up late, toured until our feet fell off and really saw everything we wanted to see.

It cost me $300 for my sister's plane ticket to Maryland and I brought her some gifts. But I think if my husband had wanted to go- I would have flown my mother in too to keep her company for another $300 . My mom and sister live on the West Coast.

Hi,

I've actually been thinking about this same subject. My husband and I (seniors) have corresponded on the message board for our upcoming cruise with a nice couple in their 30s traveling to Europe with a 10 month old baby who will be on the same 24 day Mediterranean cruise as us, sailing next week.

They are traveling without anyone to help out, but so thrilled with this port intensive cruise (16 splendid ports), that I just don't have it in me to burst their bubble...it's too late for them to make other arrangements, anyway. They'll find out soon enough that traveling with a baby is full time work. They'll need help. If you do cruise with them, don't be surprised if your friends ask you to sit with the baby occasionally.

I agree with the CC contributor who suggests that in order to avoid over stimulating the little one, they could alternate ports, one of them staying on board with the baby, while the other heads out to explore.

I'll always remember a sweet young couple cruising with a 15 month old who could only sleep in a dark and quiet room, so each night they ordered a room service dinner, turned off the lights and sat quietly in the dark watching TV with the sound off. They never once enjoyed dinner in the dining room, saw a show or danced together during the two whole weeks, no way to enjoy a cruise!

I forgot to comment on Rome and the distance to the port of Civitavecchia.

The best way to really enjoy Rome is spending several nights (at least) there pre or post cruise. Do your own air and hotel arrangements. (compare airfares on Kayak, and scrutinize hotels and B and Bs in Rome on Tripadvisor).

Google: Ron in Rome, for invaluable advice on traveling by train between Rome and Civitavecchia, plus lots more.

Good luck!

Archived