ATMs

We plan to buy our GPBs and Euros at ATMS. However, I wonder if everyone else on the ship has the same plans, am I going to be waiting in long lines? Where are the best ATMs to buy money and not wait in line? Any feedback is appreciated.

It will probably depend on the number of cruisers that do not buy ahead of time & the location of the ATM's at the ports

You may be wise to get some before you leave home

We have never had a problem finding a bank ATM, accessing it, or experienced any line ups...either in the UK or in Europe. I am fussy, I prefer to use an ATM in an enclosed area vs an ATM on the street that is just sticking out the side of a building. In Europe, all of the ATMS that we have ever used have always been multilingual. Cannot comment on any ATM's dockside as we have never used them.

I read that there was a long line up for an HSBC ATM in the UK a few days ago. But that was because that particular ATM was pumping out double the amount of cash that people had asked for and were charged for! It did not last very long.

I have not experienced long lines for ATM's. Always good to get some money ahead of time too. Keith

Agree with and strongly second the ever-wise Keith. We've been in twenty two different counties in Europe, including six times in the UK. Lots of ATM's all over. Never noticed lines and waits being a problem. It is good to have some pounds or euros left over from previous trips there to start your trip in case there are any "technical issues". It is good let your bank know about your overseas travel, check your different cards and bank to see what ALL of the details and costs will be, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 81,704 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 70,369 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

With an ATM every 50 feet in London (or so it seems), I never had a problem with lines. I always hang onto 30-50 Pounds at the end of a trip to use if the ATM is inconvenient or has ridiculous fees like at Airports and perhaps Cruise Terminals although I have no first hand info on ports.

One thought, if your bank charges a fee for foreign currency withdrawal, it may be worth getting a card that has no fees. My Credit Union charges no fees as do most Credit Unions in my experience. Some banks also have reciprocal arrangements with European banks to waive fees as well.

Cheers

Thanks for all the feedback.

Skisteamboat: When I was a young and bold 25 yr old, I quit my job and moved to Steamboat for one season and was a "ski bum". Great, Great memories!

Did anyone from the U.S. with a certain bank withdraw money from a UK bank with no fees? I heard BofA and Barclays are related somehow... :confused:

UK banks will not charge you any fees, and will state this on the ATM screen. Your own bank may charge you a fee, which is where using an affiliated bank could make a difference.

Did anyone from the U.S. with a certain bank withdraw money from a UK bank with no fees? I heard BofA and Barclays are related somehow... :confused:

Yes, BoA and Barclays have an affiliation agreement (sort of akin to an airline code-share). BoA will not charge you a fee when you withdraw money from a Barclays ATM using a BoA debit card (bankcard).* Other major U.S. banks may have similar agreements with particular UK banks.

*(Or at least this was the case back when I had a BoA account & used my BoA card to withdraw sterling from Barclays.)

As always, before you leave home, be sure to inform your own bank that you will be traveling abroad to such-and-such places on such-and-such dates and that you will be using your debit card to make withdrawals during your travels; otherwise, your bank may assume that the withdrawals are fraudulent, and will freeze your funds in order to safeguard your account.

Cheers,

P.C.

Just a warning: ATM scammers love American cards with no chip and pin.

When you use one, wherever it is, look first to see if it looks odd in any way and if it does then find another - there are many about. When you use one, be sure to cover the keys when you enter your PIN - it may seem paranoid but the scammers are quite sophisticated and use tiny cameras to get people's PINs.

Beware of the ATMs that charge you for the privilege of giving you your money - these are often found in filling stations and the like. They will always make it clear if they are free or not.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Skisteamboat: When I was a young and bold 25 yr old, I quit my job and moved to Steamboat for one season and was a "ski bum". Great, Great memories!

Now that I am old and sort of bold, I spend the three months every winter in Steamboat skiing almost everyday.:)

Cheers

Archived