Off Season Cruising

CRUISE4JANE

I guess I will get flamed for this, but I can't figure out why someone would cruise off season (to me I think to save money). Who would want to get on a ship with an overcoat on? I wouldn't.;):confused:. I should would like to know the real reason why.

I guess I will get flamed for this, but I can't figure out why someone would cruise off season (to me I think to save money). Who would want to get on a ship with an overcoat on? I wouldn't.;):confused: I should would like to know.

if you are boarding in new york or baltimore yes, but if you get on board in florida no.

you don't want to go anywhere warm in the winter that is your prerogative.

Bill

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

I guess I will get flamed for this, but I can't figure out why someone would cruise off season (to me I think to save money). Who would want to get on a ship with an overcoat on? I wouldn't.;):confused:. I should would like to know the real reason why.

November before Thanksgiving is off season. We had great weather and a less crowded ships. We sailed for DH's birthday

Early February, we had unseasonably cool weather leaving Florida (pants and a light jacket needed the first day at sea and then the rest of the trip was great. We chose the date based on vacation time available.

Caribbean is generally warm all year round.

We are going for new years this year, which is not off season, but could still be cool or maybe really hot when we leave Florida. It is certainly a more expensive cruise, but we decided not to miss school this time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We cruise in the winter out of Florida. Might be cool the first day but gets warm real quick.

Well the prices in the fall are 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of traveling in June or July! That's reason enough for me, even if I had to wear a jacket part of the time. But for the record, traveling in October last year (the cheapest season to cruise), we had 80+ degree weather every day from the time we left Florida until the time we returned, and the Caribbean waters were like bathtubs because they had all season to warm up.

No flames from me. We actually wonder why people cruise in season if they don't have to due to kids school schedules. We have cruised off season for a couple of reasons: less expensive, the itineraries we wanted were only offered in the off season (Hawaii, Bermuda) and BFs kids are all out of school so there is no reason to cruise exclusively in the summer. We're not locked down to the summer to travel and we're loving it.

We are leaving in 20 days for Canada, we just wanted a quick get away. We were looking at Lake George, NY for a long weekend when BF came across the cruise and it was less expensive for us to drive to Boston (including ferry, parking and gas) take a 4 day cruise with shore excursions and Bon Voyage liquor then the trip to Lake George would've been, even if we had gone before Memorial Day. For us it was a no brainer.

We haven't left from NYC any later than late September or before early June and the temps are still quite warm (70's). We will be arriving in NY on the Splendor next March which can be cold in NY so, I'll let you know what it's like!

Depends on whether the cruise is me and my DH only or with our two children. If the kids go it is peak season, won't take them from school. If it is DH and I we go off season to avoid some of the masses of kids. Don't get me wrong I love kids, but if I am leaving mine alone for some quality time with my DH I don't want a load of other kids around.

We always cruise between late November thru May. Since we don't care for hot & humid weather, we would rather cruise when the temperature is in the 70's and 80's down in Mexico.

The heaviest jacket I took & had to wear was a hoodie.

Also the rates are cheaper than in the summer and less kids around hogging the pools.:)

The flip side to your question is: Why would someone cruise during peak season? The only reason I can think of is school schedules.

Well the prices in the fall are 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of traveling in June or July! That's reason enough for me, even if I had to wear a jacket part of the time. But for the record, traveling in October last year (the cheapest season to cruise), we had 80+ degree weather every day from the time we left Florida until the time we returned, and the Caribbean waters were like bathtubs because they had all season to warm up.

I think I could really handle October in the future. I have cruised only May, August and this year coming up in July (hooray about 6 weeks). Yes, due to kids out of school and I have a daughter who teaches psychology; therefore, if I want to go with family, the summer time is really the only time. DH and I can go anytime, but I guess I am cold natured and always wondered about getting on a ship with a jacket on. We always seem to spend a lot when we cruise but the again it is at the prime time.

No flames from me. We actually wonder why people cruise in season if they don't have to due to kids school schedules. We have cruised off season for a couple of reasons: less expensive, the itineraries we wanted were only offered in the off season (Hawaii, Bermuda) and BFs kids are all out of school so there is no reason to cruise exclusively in the summer. We're not locked down to the summer to travel and we're loving it.

We are leaving in 20 days for Canada, we just wanted a quick get away. We were looking at Lake George, NY for a long weekend when BF came across the cruise and it was less expensive for us to drive to Boston (including ferry, parking and gas) take a 4 day cruise with shore excursions and Bon Voyage liquor then the trip to Lake George would've been, even if we had gone before Memorial Day. For us it was a no brainer.

We haven't left from NYC any later than late September or before early June and the temps are still quite warm (70's). We will be arriving in NY on the Splendor next March which can be cold in NY so, I'll let you know what it's like!

DH worked in NYC for 3 years so I know how the weather is up there. Have to tell you, I love NYC. We use to drive to Martha's Vineyard and Cape Cod on Weekends. :)

Our first cruise was in June. It was hot as heck and we chased a hurricane the whole time (same ports but in a different order). Now we like to cruise Nov-March when its cold in MA, warm on the islands, there are few kids on the ship, and there are deals to be had. This is actually considered a) peak time in the Caribbean, and b) non-hurricane season.

We are cruising the 20th of oct cause my kids get a fall break from school but this is the first cruise for us in oct. We only do summer too! I'm worried there WON'T be enough kids!!! I just hope the hurricanes stay away!! Also the price is fantastic

We cruise mostly in Jan. or Feb. We live in SD and believe me getting away form -30 windchill is wonderful. We will gladly wear a light jacket the first day. Usually we are so used to the cold we don't even wear a jacket. At that time of the year 60 degrees is warm to us.

We cruise mostly in Jan. or Feb. We live in SD and believe me getting away form -30 windchill is wonderful. We will gladly wear a light jacket the first day. Usually we are so used to the cold we don't even wear a jacket. At that time of the year 60 degrees is warm to us.

LOL Our 1st cruise was in December, we drove through a snowstorm (of course it's not as cold as ND) to get to the airport. When we arrived in Miami it was upper 60's and the cab driver was complaining about the cold. We thought it was warm. ;)

LOL same here!! 60 degrees in February, I will take that anyday. :D

We cruise in Jan/ Feb. and consider it the mid winter thaw!! It makes it easier to get through the rest of the winter.

LOL Our 1st cruise was in December, we drove through a snowstorm (of course it's not as cold as ND) to get to the airport. When we arrived in Miami it was upper 60's and the cab driver was complaining about the cold. We thought it was warm. ;)

That is chilly for me, but I have never lived in the north. I understand now. I just always thought most people cruised in the summer, but found out a lot cruise in the winter. Heck, I could cruise 3 times a year at those prices they give. Thanks. :) Just thought it would be too cold for me. Since I am about 20 minutes from the New Orleans port, I could cruise more, but do I want to go to the same ports? I guess not. I would have to fly to a port. I would like to take the New England cruise.

Funny...I can't imagine why anyone would want to cruise in July or August! That is just too hot for me, the ships are teeming with children and the islands are brimming with tourists! Maybe Europe in the summer but I still think at least September for that

Being from KS, the Carribean is just right during fall/winter. We cruise then to escape the cold like others have said. Bonus is less kids cruising. It isn't really cheap for us when you consider we also have to purchase airfare. We probably pay the same or more than you do for off season when you consider the airfare. Looking up flights now for our off season cruise--$350. pp. OUCH I also agree that the summer months would be too hot in the Carribean. We go North during the summer for the cooler temps.

While it may be classified as "off-season" in the travel industry, the cruise lines make sure they sell enough cabins to make money (on the extras ... if they need to). They sure won't let the ship sail with only 20 passengers, LOL. They will SELL, SELL, SELL till they get it as close to capacity as possible. Even if it is pouring buckets outside, there will still be plenty for the regular cruisers to do indoors so it won't be "off-season" when it comes to the entertainment.

We have only cruised in the fall (mid/late Oct. mostly). It's perfect for us.

Obviously the rates are great. The weather at the destinations, Bermuda/Caribbean/Fla. is also great.

We don't have to worry about leaving (or not) in a snowstorm, or coming back to one. I still have a bit of a tan from the summer. There's not a boatload of kids onboard, not that I don't like kids.

Probably one of the biggest factors as to why we choose this time of year is I just can't see leaving here in HOT (July, August) weather to go to MORE hot weather. Another biggie is clothes. If we were to cruise, say Nov. - Feb. I would have to drag OUT the summer clothes and then repack them away when we got home. In Oct. they are still out and I only only to pack them away when we get home.

We have only cruised in the fall (mid/late Oct. mostly). It's perfect for us.

Obviously the rates are great. The weather at the destinations, Bermuda/Caribbean/Fla. is also great.

We don't have to worry about leaving (or not) in a snowstorm, or coming back to one. I still have a bit of a tan from the summer. There's not a boatload of kids onboard, not that I don't like kids.

Probably one of the biggest factors as to why we choose this time of year is I just can't see leaving here in HOT (July, August) weather to go to MORE hot weather. Another biggie is clothes. If we were to cruise, say Nov. - Feb. I would have to drag OUT the summer clothes and then repack them away when we got home. In Oct. they are still out and I only only to pack them away when we get home.

We live in Florida.Empty Nester's .My DW and I love to cruise in sept and Oct.because of the weather in the Islands.Living in Florida gives you a better understanding of how hot it can be in the Islands in the Summer (IN SEASON).I have to think to myself what Idiot would go cook in tropical heat on vacation.

I wouldn't call 'em Idiots ( they are gonna' get you for that) lol. I do understand that some people have no choice with school. Wouldn't understand it for any other reason, although for some people hotter is better.

Whatever works for you I guess. ;)

Archived