Foodie Question: Iberico de Bellota Pork

S O B

First time posting.

I love the discussion about the food.

Only thing to add is that I believe cruise lines source their food from all over the world.

For example - When I cruised in Europe in the late 90's I was thrilled to get some excellent Spanish Ham that was not being exported to the US at that time.

Perhaps - but did you see those prices? The Kobe Beef steaks were about $50 for an 8 oz filet mignon :eek:

Maybe that is why Oceania cruise cost more :D:D

Lyn

Paulchili - you're a class act. Hope we get to sail with you someday. Maybe we could share a meal of Bellota Pork in Jacques. ;);)

Ksps cruise fan - thanks for the link to the Forbes articles on Kobe beef. Very interesting and informative. I learned a lot!

Paulchili - you're a class act. Hope we get to sail with you someday. Maybe we could share a meal of Bellota Pork in Jacques. ;);)

MQ,

Thank you - I can only hope that FDR thinks so as well :D

I don't mind apologizing when I am wrong (or do something stupid) - which, unfortunately, happens more and more frequently as of late (I wonder why?) :)

It would be a pleasure to sail with you (and share a meal of Bellota Pork in either restaurant). I have always enjoyed your posts and often shared your point of view.

I DO and I appreciate it!

FDR

Thank you FDR - you are a class act as well and your posts are always welcome and appreciated here on CC.

Your passion and personal involvement for the continued high level of standard of this company is only one of the many reasons we have 3 more O cruises booked already.

• 3 weeks later...

Wendy, my first exposure to heirloom pork was in Prime 7 on Regent Seven Seas Navigator, where they serve Berkshire pork, known as Kurabota pork in Japan. It was fantastic -- best pork I had eaten to that point.

I had heard that Iberian pork was better; when I saw it on the menu in Polo on board Riviera, I immediately closed my menu and said I was ready to order! I wasn't disappointed; it was fabulous! So, imagine my surprise when we went to Jacques and I saw it again -- this time as a rotisserie offering. I immediately ordered it again, and influenced another at the table to try it -- and we both loved it! It moved Jacques up from my third choice specialty on the "O" class ships to first choice!

I have to qualify my enthusiasm by saying that I have always preferred pork to beef or chicken.

We just added a December cruise on Riviera to our schedule, one that we really couldn't afford. So, we booked one of the lowest price cabins, content in the knowledge that all levels of cabins get the same opportunities to enjoy the food!

Wendy, my first exposure to heirloom pork was in Prime 7 on Regent Seven Seas Navigator, where they serve Berkshire pork, known as Kurabota pork in Japan. It was fantastic -- best pork I had eaten to that point.

I had heard that Iberian pork was better; when I saw it on the menu in Polo on board Riviera, I immediately closed my menu and said I was ready to order! I wasn't disappointed; it was fabulous! So, imagine my surprise when we went to Jacques and I saw it again -- this time as a rotisserie offering. I immediately ordered it again, and influenced another at the table to try it -- and we both loved it! It moved Jacques up from my third choice specialty on the "O" class ships to first choice!

I have to qualify my enthusiasm by saying that I have always preferred pork to beef or chicken.

We just added a December cruise on Riviera to our schedule, one that we really couldn't afford. So, we booked one of the lowest price cabins, content in the knowledge that all levels of cabins get the same opportunities to enjoy the food!

Don, I believe that you had the Iberico Pork on the Riviera first in the Grand Dining Room.

It was that same night that I was rhapsodizing about the quality of the wines that are included in the Prestige Package...

I remember being pleasantly surprised that the Châteauneuf-du-Pape went as well with your Pork as it did with my Pheasant.

The menus for Nautica and Regatta do not list the pork as being Bellota. Can you only get this on the Riveria and Marina?

Probably. As I understand it, new dishes are introduced on the larger ships because of their superior storage and serving capabilities and then the more successful items "may" be rolled out to the rest of the fleet.

Don, I believe that you had the Iberico Pork on the Riviera first in the Grand Dining Room.

It was that same night that I was rhapsodizing about the quality of the wines that are included in the Prestige Package...

I remember being pleasantly surprised that the Châteauneuf-du-Pape went as well with your Pork as it did with my Pheasant.

You know, you're correct. We didn't make it to Polo until near the end of our second cruise leg. I could have had the pork in Privee that first night, but I opted for the small filet, instead.

So, there you have it folks -- Several different ways you can have the best pork in the world, hang the expense! That's food on Oceania...

Archived