Allure Spa Questions

Hey All,

Just a few questions I would love to know the answers to, if anyone has them. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

1. I recently read a review that spoke of some sort of free massages in the spa in the afternoon of the first day???? Anyone have any info this? Is it something they always do? What time do they usually offer it? Do you need to sign up for it ahead of time, or do you just show up?

2. I have also read some tips that say if you go visit the spa on the first day before sail away, you can store your carry ons in their lockers. What is their locker policies? Are they free? How does one rent/use one for a few hours? Can you use their changing room then, too, to change into your bathing suit and back?

3. Can someone explain to me how the thermal suite useage works on the Allure? How much is the cost for a day? The whole week? What hours are they open? Is the thermal suite co-ed?

4. If you get a massage or book one of the spa specials, is the thermal suite included with the massage/special?

Hey All,

Just a few questions I would love to know the answers to, if anyone has them. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

1. I recently read a review that spoke of some sort of free massages in the spa in the afternoon of the first day???? Anyone have any info this? Is it something they always do? What time do they usually offer it? Do you need to sign up for it ahead of time, or do you just show up?

2. I have also read some tips that say if you go visit the spa on the first day before sail away, you can store your carry ons in their lockers. What is their locker policies? Are they free? How does one rent/use one for a few hours? Can you use their changing room then, too, to change into your bathing suit and back?

3. Can someone explain to me how the thermal suite useage works on the Allure? How much is the cost for a day? The whole week? What hours are they open? Is the thermal suite co-ed?

4. If you get a massage or book one of the spa specials, is the thermal suite included with the massage/special?

1. I think they pick a few people to do a chair massage on to get others to sign up. Not sure how you get picked.

2. We used the changing rooms/lockers when we had the weeklong spa pass on Oasis. I don't know if they are available if you're not paying to use the spa. The locker rooms aren't conveniently located if you want to use the pool deck. They are one floor down from the gym.

3. Current pricing may be online. We paid $198 for a couples pass for the week on Oasis in January 2011. You change in the locker room and put on a provided robe over your bathing suit. Thermal suite is mixed, so you must remain clothed (bathing suit). It is down the hall from the locker room. There are heated ceramic loungers, a small steam room and aromatherapy room, and a small sauna. There are two "interesting" showers with different water effects (rainstorm, waterfall). It gets crowded and we found it generally not relaxing because of people who did not know how to behave. People would leave their towels and robes on the loungers, leave the showers running, carry on loud conversations, etc. I much prefer the free setup on Freedom and Voyager class ships.

4. I think you do get to use the thermal suite if you book with the spa for other services, but i'm not sure. They have a lovely "waiting room" next to the thermal suite for relaxing in.

1. I think they pick a few people to do a chair massage on to get others to sign up. Not sure how you get picked.

2. We used the changing rooms/lockers when we had the weeklong spa pass on Oasis. I don't know if they are available if you're not paying to use the spa. The locker rooms aren't conveniently located if you want to use the pool deck. They are one floor down from the gym.

3. Current pricing may be online. We paid $198 for a couples pass for the week on Oasis in January 2011. You change in the locker room and put on a provided robe over your bathing suit. Thermal suite is mixed, so you must remain clothed (bathing suit). It is down the hall from the locker room. There are heated ceramic loungers, a small steam room and aromatherapy room, and a small sauna. There are two "interesting" showers with different water effects (rainstorm, waterfall). It gets crowded and we found it generally not relaxing because of people who did not know how to behave. People would leave their towels and robes on the loungers, leave the showers running, carry on loud conversations, etc. I much prefer the free setup on Freedom and Voyager class ships.

4. I think you do get to use the thermal suite if you book with the spa for other services, but i'm not sure. They have a lovely "waiting room" next to the thermal suite for relaxing in.

THANKS SO MUCH!!!!

That info was extremely helpful. I also see you're from Harrisburg. I'm about an 1.5 hour north. SO.... howdy neighbor and thanks again for the info!

Can anyone also explain what an "aromatherapy" room is? And what is the use of a heated ceramic lounger? Is it truly a relaxing experience? I am interested in the thermal suite simply for the sauna and steam rooms, but it seems pricey to just use those two things. The other parts of the thermal suite, I've never experienced and don't know what it's like :confused:

Can anyone also explain what an "aromatherapy" room is? And what is the use of a heated ceramic lounger? Is it truly a relaxing experience? I am interested in the thermal suite simply for the sauna and steam rooms, but it seems pricey to just use those two things. The other parts of the thermal suite, I've never experienced and don't know what it's like :confused:

The aromatherapy room is a small steamroom, maybe not as hot as the regular one, and from time to time the staff would toss in a little fragrance, usually herbal or lavender, for example. I was very amused by this practice! Very high-tech :rolleyes:

The heated ceramic lounger looked a bit like a dentist's chair in size and shape. You put a towel on it and laid down, and the gentle warmth would soak into your muscles. It was quite nice when the room was quiet and you could relax in peace.

The rain/storm/waterfall showers were very nice and relaxing, too.

Overall it was pricy, but for us it isn't a cruise unless we relax twice a day in the sauna and steamroom, so for us it was a necessary evil, even though it wasn't as nice as the separate sauna/steamroom facilities in the locker rooms on other classes of ships.

I hope they rethink the gym/locker area vs. spa/thermal suite for future ship designs or retrofits. The spa/thermal suite concept was small, cramped, and is a blatant money grab. And being that it was mixed sexes and suits were required (American modesty/prudery?), it's hard to get a decent sauna/steam. It will keep me off Oasis and Allure or smaller ships that have it.

If this is your first time going to a spa on a cruise ship you might want to read up on them a bit. RC does not own the spas on the ships. They are contracted out to Steiner spas. Steiner employees have to use high pressure sales tactics. They have to sell so many products (not treatments but products) or they are in trouble. The spa employees have the worst job on the ship and are the least paid. :(

Steiner spas are known for their unethical practices and also avoiding labor laws. If you do your own little research session you will find lots of info about this particular company.

This is the company and not the poor girls who work on the ship. They are under trained. Their training consists of a 6 week school in England. They are forced to stay in a homeless shelter (YMCA type) while at the 6 week school. They learn how to sell products ...

Its very sad. So many young girls from around the world get caught up in Steiner and its difficult to just quit.

The reason I am saying all of this is I don't want your first spa experience to sour you on spas in general!!! I love going to the spa... like A LOT. I most likely will get a pedi at the spa but thats it. I go to a local spa and I would highly recommend you try a local one. Sure, you can go to the RC spa but I don't find it to be a "real" spa experience so if you do go ... make sure to go to a local spa as well :D

And what is the use of a heated ceramic lounger? Is it truly a relaxing experience? I am interested in the thermal suite simply for the sauna and steam rooms, but it seems pricey to just use those two things. The other parts of the thermal suite, I've never experienced and don't know what it's like :confused:

I never did this before our Jewel cruise in April. For Jewel it was $95 for a couple for the 5 day cruise. As for the ceramic lounger, think body size heating pad:D My arthritis in my back was bothering me a bit and this was extremely helpful. We had a lot of OBC and it was our 30th anniversary last time we got a couples massage, may go for the thermal suite this time. It was not included with the massage. Did someone say what it cost on Allure? I don't remember.

Booked the thermal suite on the Oasis for the week and never again. They over sell making it crowded. Never relaxing. Tours of the spa include the suite. Seemed like the door was always being opened to show it. Thermal chairs not always available. It was co-ed.

They over sell making it crowded. Never relaxing. .....It was co-ed.

I'm glad you said that, on Jewel they made a point to say how many couples they limited it to. I want say 10-20, but I don't remember clearly. Anyway, it was never crowded with the exception of when we left Costa Maya, we had to walk that long pier in a driving rain, then after getting back on jewel and its air conditioning it was like being in a freezer. We went right to the suite and I guess everyone had the same idea. After 20 minutes it was back to normal. It was worthwhile on that ship, but will remember what you said and watch for other reviews. If we go on the spa tour I will ask how many couples they limit it to and probably ask for other opinions as we get closer to that time. Thanks for posting what you experienced. Oh, do you remember the cost if you would share?

Booked the thermal suite on the Oasis for the week and never again. They over sell making it crowded. Never relaxing. Tours of the spa include the suite. Seemed like the door was always being opened to show it. Thermal chairs not always available. It was co-ed.

Now that I recall, I agree that it was very annoying to have people being paraded through as you were trying to relax, and having them open the sauna door and gawk wasn't great either. But since it's the only option on Oasis and Allure, and we must have our sauna and steam daily, we put up with it.

Archived