Repositioning - Vancouver to SF

JC in CA

Hello-

I am considering surprising my husband with a birthday cruise- the repositioning from Vancouver to San Francisco. He has always wanted to cruise under the Golden Gate Bridge. Has anyone done this cruise? We normally go for week long cruises- so I know the 2 night part will be very different. Just wondering what others have thought of this cruise.

We would fly out of SF - either up to Seattle and then take the train to Vancouver, or into Vancouver directly. If we went to Seattle- it would be the day before and take the train the morning of the cruise. If we fly ito Vancouver- it would be the day before. So the trip would be 3 nights for us- either way.

thanks for any comments/info!

-JC in CA

Actually that's a good point - I have sailed in early, mid- day and out late day but still enjoyed the thrill of sailing under that bridge and don't forget that the Lion's Gate bridge in Vancouver is a smaller version of the Golden Gate.

As you are doing this south bound it will most likely be in September - you might want to check the sunrise times for SF at that time of year but remember fog could also be around in the morning.

Cheers

Dennis

I surprised my husband with a 2-day repositioning cruise from SF to Vancouver for his 40th birthday. I arranged with his boss for his time off. Picked him up at work in a limo along with his brother, sister, brother in law, and friend. Never told him we were going on a cruise until we got to the port. He was very excited and even more excited to find 20 other friends and family in the lobby bar when we arrived. A great time!!

Not the best cruise however.. very rough waters from SF to Vancouver and the entainment was limited. Although we made our own party!! Plus our friend won the Elvis contest. :D

Cruising under the Golden Gate is awesome.:D Slightly windy:rolleyes:

Cruising the reverse direction, you will cruise under the bridge very early. Last year on the Sea Princess I am not sure what time we cruised under the bridge as the ship was already docked by the time my alarm went off.

Have a great trip!!

On our Island Princess repositioning cruise in September from Vancouver to SF, we're scheduled to arrive in SF at 10am. That's late enough for me to not only be up but breakfasted too! Can't wait to sail under the Golden Gate Bridge.

we are taking the star in september for this same itinerary ...we get into san fransisco at 10 so you will have ample opportunity to take lots of pics of the underside of the golden gate lol ... hubby loves to get pics of the underside of bridges ... we have done this one a few times and it is a great getaway, plus this gives us platinum for our cruise in March next year to the caribean !!!!!

Done this cruise before and it was very relaxing (although short). The last time we sailed into SF under the Golden Gate in the early morning the fog was so thick that the bridge was not visible at all --- big disappointment for those who had not sailed under the bridge before. Hope the weather cooperates for you. Also, on the southbound cruise from Vancouver to San Francisco you should be less likely to experience the rough seas that melsal experienced on the northbound.

Enjoy. These short little getaways are great fun! We are doing it again in Sept. 2013. :D

I just did the repositioning from San Francisco to Vancouver. We had an absolutely brilliant day (under the bridge around 3:30 PM). With San Francisco and fog, it is very unpredictable. Good luck on your decision.

Renee

Not the best cruise however.. very rough waters from SF to Vancouver and the entainment was limited.

Cruising under the Golden Gate is awesome.:D Slightly windy:rolleyes:

Have a great trip!!

Yes, you would have rough seas going North. This is due to the California Current which goes from Vancouver down to Cabo.

On our Island Princess repositioning cruise in September from Vancouver to SF, we're scheduled to arrive in SF at 10am. That's late enough for me to not only be up but breakfasted too! Can't wait to sail under the Golden Gate Bridge.

That sounds better than when the Star sailed under the bridge March 19 before dawn.

We just sailed under the Golden Gate Bridge on 5/13 on the Star Princess. We also booked a YVR to SFO cruise on the Star in September.

We plan to arrive 2 days early to enjoy Vancouver before boarding the ship.

Regarding the flights, we have noticed that non-stop flights from SFO to YVR are about half of what they cost from YVR to SFO.

Also, we take the Canada Line high speed rail to the airport. It is very much like the BART we have in the Bay Area.

From Canada Place to YVR is $3.75 CAD, from YVR to Canada Place is $8.75 (due to $5 surcharge from the airport). It is a quick 26 minute ride and should be quite easy given that this is a 2 day cruise with minimal carry-on baggage.

IMG4600-L.jpg.c8546f0ba4d635ff9476ba970884c1da.jpg

From Canada Place to YVR is $3.75 CAD, from YVR to Canada Place is $8.75 (due to $5 surcharge from the airport). It is a quick 26 minute ride and should be quite easy given that this is a 2 day cruise with minimal carry-on baggage.
I plan to use this from YVR to the Pan Pacific at Canada Place. I'll have a big bag and a wheeled carry-on so I can handle everything myself. Can you pay for this with US$ or should I get $CAN? Are there elevators or escalators?

The ticket machines take credit cards (VISA, MC, AMEX) so you just pay the International Transaction Fee if your credit card company charges it e.g. we have one credit card that charges 1% and another that charges 3%. $3.75 CAD just posted as $3.68 USD on our credit card with a 3 cent fee. Sure cheaper than the $30 Princess Transfer.

I know for sure that they have escalators but didn't notice if they have elevators. This system was just built for the Winter Olympics so it is rather new and is totally automated.

we are taking the star in september for this same itinerary ...we get into san fransisco at 10 so you will have ample opportunity to take lots of pics of the underside of the golden gate lol ... hubby loves to get pics of the underside of bridges ... we have done this one a few times and it is a great getaway, plus this gives us platinum for our cruise in March next year to the caribean !!!!!

Me, too! I always hope that at the very moment I'm taking the photo, George Clooney or Hugh Jackman will be walking across the bridge above me. In a kilt.

Thank you- everyone!

Some very good points that I had not thought of. The end of Sept in SF is a lot less foggy than summer time- so chances of being fogged in would be less. Good to know that coming southbound the seas are not quite as rough.

We would actually be sailing in to SF on hubby's 59th birthday- and I am guessing that going under the bridge would be a good reason to get up early!

Anyone know how to find out about what time we would actually go under the Golden Gate when our arrival in SF is "scheduled" for 10 AM? I am guessing that time is the planned first person off the ship time- not the actual time the ship docks.

thanks for all the info- now to figure out if I can actually pull this off as a surprise or if I have to tell him....

-JC in CA

I plan to use this from YVR to the Pan Pacific at Canada Place. I'll have a big bag and a wheeled carry-on so I can handle everything myself. Can you pay for this with US$ or should I get $CAN? Are there elevators or escalators?
I haven't been on the new Canada Line that goes from YVR to Canada Place, Pam. But I have used SkyTrain frequently. (Vancouver is only 2 hours from my house.) It's a nice, efficient system. All stations have ticket machines that take credit cards, so Canadian money is not necessary.

I just checked the Translink website, and found this:

" SkyTrain stations and trains have special features designed to make the system safe and convenient for passengers with physical disabilities. All stations, with the temporary exception of Columbia, have elevators for people using wheelchairs."

Columbia Station is in the City of New Westminster, which you won't be going to on the new Canada Line. So you shouldn't have any problems with your luggage.

Hi Pam - we've ridden Skytrain from the airport to Canada Place many times and if my memory serves me right, you actually board it at street level. There are elevators on the various concourses (departure versus arrival) so you won't have a problem. All public transit is handicapped accessible - it"s the law.

However, i believe it's an escalator from the Canada Place station to street level. I'll,do a little research and see if I can find more info. Welcome to our fair city - are you spending a night or boarding the ship and sailing the same day?

I haven't been on the new Canada Line that goes from YVR to Canada Place, Pam. But I have used SkyTrain frequently. (Vancouver is only 2 hours from my house.) It's a nice, efficient system. All stations have ticket machines that take credit cards, so Canadian money is not necessary.

I just checked the Translink website, and found this:

" SkyTrain stations and trains have special features designed to make the system safe and convenient for passengers with physical disabilities. All stations, with the temporary exception of Columbia, have elevators for people using wheelchairs."

Columbia Station is in the City of New Westminster, which you won't be going to on the new Canada Line. So you shouldn't have any problems with your luggage.

Hi Pam - we've ridden Skytrain from the airport to Canada Place many times and if my memory serves me right, you actually board it at street level. There are elevators on the various concourses (departure versus arrival) so you won't have a problem. All public transit is handicapped accessible - it"s the law.

However, i believe it's an escalator from the Canada Place station to street level. I'll,do a little research and see if I can find more info. Welcome to our fair city - are you spending a night or boarding the ship and sailing the same day?

Thanks to both of you. :) Even though it's a (relatively) short flight from LAX to YVR, I'm flying in the day before and staying at the Pan Pacific. I think I get in at around Noon and after getting to the hotel and dropping off my bag, I want to do the HOHO, which I've done before but want to do again. I'm looking forward to seeing Vancouver again. It's been quite a few years. I'm not meeting up with my friends, Michael and Midge, until after I board the ship.

I found out on Tuesday that they don't take Amex. We were returning from the SFO-YVR cruise which was very good although the ship wasn't totally ready after refit. I'm not sure if I will take an inside cabin again biut the price of $69 was certainly good

Archived