Important update on RCI homepage

There is a bigger problem here. This is a public sector union strike. Teachers, Police, Firefighters, Prison Guards, you name it--not just maritime pilots. Not only will Norway's tourist economy be hit hard, but their biggest export, oil will not move. While our 12 night June 20 Fjords cruise will be severely altered if the Norwegian's don't get a handle on this, so will their way of life. My hope is that this is resolved before their economy is crippled.

some, but not all.:rolleyes:

The issues that have raised the most angst on these boards have been a function of RCL actions ll.:rolleyes:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The situation is indeed escalating. More and more joining strike, and risk of fuel shortages. Looks like one of the worst affected so far is Fred Olsen balmoral. I note 2 reports, one that it has turned round to come home and another that it is totally changing itinery and route. am monitoring because we are due to fly into Oslo tomorrow am to board the Vision on Sat. Flights ok yesterday, but am half expecting that to change. Then we will be bummed! If we can at least get into Oslo tomorrow, we have half a chance of still having our week's holiday.

Lyn

Looking at the AIS data, Balmoral is at the entrance to the Kiel Canal, so heading for the Baltic.

Good news, Vison and Brilliance are in their scheduled ports of call, Gerainger and Bergen, this morning. There are also cruise ships in Stavanger and Trondheim, so operations don't seem too badly affected at the moment (with the important exception of Oslo!) Things can change, of course.

There is a bigger problem here. This is a public sector union strike. Teachers, Police, Firefighters, Prison Guards, you name it--not just maritime pilots. Not only will Norway's tourist economy be hit hard, but their biggest export, oil will not move. While our 12 night June 20 Fjords cruise will be severely altered if the Norwegian's don't get a handle on this, so will their way of life. My hope is that this is resolved before their economy is crippled.

While our cruise will be impacted, this is nothing compared to what this is doing to the Norway economy at the height of travel season! I hope for everyone this is resolved soon!

Archived