Important update on RCI homepage

As an Australian the above links keep redirecting to the Australian website. Can someone tell me what it's all about? Thanks.

hdr_important_updates_490x27.gif

Important Updates

s.gif

s.gif

Vision of the Seas – Strikes in Norway

May 25, 2012

Royal Caribbean International continues to monitor the ongoing workers strike in Norway, which currently includes the port pilots in Oslo. Local and International Maritime regulations stipulate that all cruise ships must have a pilot onboard in order to enter various ports of call throughout the world. Port pilots are experts in the navigation of the local waters and play a crucial role in entering and departing ports of call.

Since the port pilots in Oslo are on strike, and they are required to be onboard in order for us to enter the port, if the strike continues Vision of the Seas will be unable to dock in Oslo on Sunday, May 27, as originally planned. Because of this, it will be necessary to modify Vision of the Seas’ boarding and debarking process on Sunday. Vision of the Seas will arrive in Gothenburg, Sweden, on Sunday, and guests will be transported to and from Oslo via motor coach.

hdr_important_updates_490x27.gif

Important Updates

s.gif

s.gif

Vision of the Seas – Strikes in Norway

May 25' date=' 2012

Royal Caribbean International continues to monitor the ongoing workers strike in Norway, which currently includes the port pilots in Oslo. Local and International Maritime regulations stipulate that all cruise ships must have a pilot onboard in order to enter various ports of call throughout the world. Port pilots are experts in the navigation of the local waters and play a crucial role in entering and departing ports of call.

Since the port pilots in Oslo are on strike, and they are required to be onboard in order for us to enter the port, if the strike continues [i']Vision of the Seas[/i] will be unable to dock in Oslo on Sunday, May 27, as originally planned. Because of this, it will be necessary to modify Vision of the Seas’ boarding and debarking process on Sunday. Vision of the Seas will arrive in Gothenburg, Sweden, on Sunday, and guests will be transported to and from Oslo via motor coach.

Thanks for that, Terri.

Be prepared to read complaints that RCI is somehow responsible for this situation and that passengers have had their "cruise of a lifetime" ruined by this event.:rolleyes:

:D:D Just what I was thinking!!!

I never said the ruined itinerary was RCCL's fault. Would a Panama canal cruise that didn't go through the canal be a Panama canal cruise? No, and a Norwegian fjord cruise would not be a fjord cruise if you don't go to the fjords either. Settle down!

I never said the ruined itinerary was RCCL's fault. Would a Panama canal cruise that didn't go through the canal be a Panama canal cruise? No, and a Norwegian fjord cruise would not be a fjord cruise if you don't go to the fjords either. Settle down!

Looks to me like you're the one with the need to do the settling down. I just asked how would RCCL ruin the cruise since your remark directly followed comments about people blaming RCCL. And missing Oslo would not ruin a Norwegian fjords cruise. I did one with HAL and we didn't even call at Oslo. Besides, to use a strong word like ruin because you miss a port is kind of petty. One of the women on the roll call of my Enchantment cruise last week fell and shattered her knee cap while disembarking the ship and is now waiting for some serious surgery. If you want to talk about a ruined cruise that would be more like it. I couldn't say my being confined to my cabin for 5 days with gastroenteritis on the same cruise came anywhere close to ruining my cruise compared to that.

I'm not looking for an arguement and I'm just looking for a positive to this nationwide strike. I'm looking for answers which are not available at this time.

Missing a port or two which I've experienced before does not ruin a cruise. We don't even call on Oslo like you mentioned. I never said the cruise would be ruined, I said the itinerary would be ruined. Where will a 12 night Norwegian fjords cruise go if not calling on any ports in Norway or even able to cruise the fjords without getting off the ship? I don't know.

I feel for any one who has a medical issue of any sort. My heart goes out to them. Being away from home while ill would be awful.

My mistake as I thought the topic was the port pilot strike which is expected to effect all ports in the country of Norway. I'm off topic if this is about something else. It's easy to be an armchair commentator when you are not the one going on an itinerary to the particular country.

I'm just trying to figure out just where we would sail and what a positive I could get out of this if we are unable to sail into any of the fjords? From reading news articles I'm assuming the port pilots get on the ship to help you navigate into the fjords not just docking at the ports. I'm interested in experiencing the scenery on this particular cruise not necessarily the ports. This was a very expensive trip that was very specific so it makes me wonder where they may alter the itinerary which I fully understand is totally out of their control. I know you are never guarnteed any specific port and they can be missed or altered.

Sorry for upsetting anyone.

Looks to me like you're the one with the need to do the settling down. I just asked how would RCCL ruin the cruise since your remark directly followed comments about people blaming RCCL. And missing Oslo would not ruin a Norwegian fjords cruise. I did one with HAL and we didn't even call at Oslo. Besides, to use a strong word like ruin because you miss a port is kind of petty. One of the women on the roll call of my Enchantment cruise last week fell and shattered her knee cap while disembarking the ship and is now waiting for some serious surgery. If you want to talk about a ruined cruise that would be more like it. I couldn't say my being confined to my cabin for 5 days with gastroenteritis on the same cruise came anywhere close to ruining my cruise compared to that.

I think you are missing the point. jellens is talking about a fjords cruise, not Oslo. If the strike goes nationwide, it would affect all the cruises going up the coast of Norway. We are on a 12 night Arctic Circle cruise in a few weeks and a nationwide strike would affect seven ports. So yeah, a nationwide strike could ruin our cruise. :(

Be prepared to read complaints that RCI is somehow responsible for this situation and that passengers have had their "cruise of a lifetime" ruined by this event.:rolleyes:

Not to mention those who will be upset when they cannot get back to Oslo in time for the departure flights that they booked, especially those who gambled on booking early flights. :eek:

Unberwoob and Waterbug you get it! Thanks for clarifying. I know this is an open forum, but those that are not traveling to the country of Norway don't fully understand the impact.

On a side note, from news reports I can only imagine the impact this strike is having on the people that actually live there! For that, I'm being selfish. I feel for all those this impacts!

Unberwoob and Waterbug you get it! Thanks for clarifying. I know this is an open forum, but those that are not traveling to the country of Norway don't fully understand the impact.

On a side note, from news reports I can only imagine the impact this strike is having on the people that actually live there! For that, I'm being selfish. I feel for all those this impacts!

We leave on Saturday and are wondering exactly the same thing. As all of our ports are in Norway, I'm not entirely sure what will happen if the strike spreads? And I'm not blaming RCI, just curious to know what the contingency plans would be :confused:? Maybe we'll be cruising Sweden instead :D

I see that as of now, all important updates are gone.

As Royal Caribbean state: "There are no important updates at this time".

Rick

The warning is still on the UK site, but only relating to the Vision last weekend. Meanwhile, the strike in Norway is still on and the latest reports are that it's escalating and most pilot boats will be on strike as of today.

UPDATE: The Norwegian Coastal Authority has now confirmed that most pilot boats are now on strike, affecting a "major part of maritime services" - as at the time of posting the links to affected services is not working, unfortunately.

http://www.kystverket.no/en/News/Pilot-Boat-Skippers-on-strike-from-Wednesday/

:rolleyes: the issues that people have complained about in other threads are clearly within the control of RCL.

Archived