Library on Solstice

jonsmum

We're taking our first cruise later this year and usually take quite a few books with us, regardless of where we go or the type of holiday. I see from their website that there is a Library on the Solstice. Can anyone give me some idea of the types of books stocked? Is it mainly non-fiction, very old fiction or some of the latest titles? If we take our own books, can they be left for the Library? Thanks.

Each ship is different. They are lightly stocked in the beginning bust as the above poster said, many passengers, including us leave behind the paperback books we brought and finished reading. You may find many new titles there that previous passengers left behind

Book selection on Solstice this April ? May was fairly poor. That said, it may vary when you visit it, seems like it was hit hard at the start of the cruise. By all means, leave your books behind, I left my tour books

Even though I always bring a book with me, the first thing I do when I board a ship is put my book away and go to the library and get my "cruise book". That way I still have my book for the trip home.

I am not an e-reader person even though I have an iPad. I like to hold a book and turn the pages (yes, I know you can do that virtually with an e-reader).

That's brilliant thanks. Like the idea of checking the Library first thing and saving my book for later! Think we might take a couple each just to be on the safe side. Getting quite excited now!

I'm an avid reader and always shlepped at least 2 books with me on trips. When checked luggage got so restrictive and expensive and DH got tired of holding my overweight carry on/tote bag, I bought a Kindle and love it. You can download as many books before you go and they are literally a press of a button away anywhere in the world. If you buy the more expensive version with "Whispernet" and Wi-Fi, you can download more books anywhere and anytime for free in case you need more books. With just Wi-Fi, you'd have to find a hot-spot. I'm not sure if you'd be charged on the ship for using their wi-fi. While I do miss turning pages and feeling a real book, I LOVE the Kindle and it, along with my Keurig coffee maker, are my 2 favorite techie gadgets.

Happy reading.:)

PS- you buy Kindles on Amazon.com

To give you a visual, this is the library on sister ship Silhouette -

2538942980096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

2385009460096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

I agree with the comments on E-Books. My wife loves to read on cruises but now brings a Kindle. Fewer people bringing books means fewer people leaving books in the library.

I would go the first day to get some books. I just got off Solstice and when we went to the library after lunch on the first day there were so many people there getting books already. I like Lee Child books and was able to get 2 to read.

By the way, the picture above makes it looks like books go right to the top but those are just for show. The books to take out are only on the bottom few shelves that you can reach.;)

Infinity's library in March was very ordinary. I'm an eclectic reader but found very little of interest there. If I cruise with Celebrity again, I'll get an ebook.

I borrow as many ebooks as I can from my library before I leave. They stay with me for 14 days. I can even "go" to the library and get more, if I finish, or the 14 days runs out.

Best part is that I can put myself on the wait-list and then get an email telling me my ebook has cleared. But then, I have just three days to download it or it is unavailable to me, and the next person on the list has a crack at it. That part, of course, requires using wi-fi.

Wi-fi is nowhere NEAR free on the ship! When you each Elite, though, you are the recipient of many free minutes, which is a great deal. Some areas of the ship have better wi-fi than others.

I use wi-fi in the hotel, before I leave, and sometimes in port. Gotta love the portability of my iPad!!!

As for the real library, I haven't found much of interest on my five previous Celebrity cruises. I did actually find a nice selection on my recent HAL. I agree that it's pretty random, from ship to ship and depending on who has left what. You definitely can't count on it (but there are always stores, if all else fails).

Happy reading.

Book selection on Solstice this April ? May was fairly poor. That said, it may vary when you visit it, seems like it was hit hard at the start of the cruise. By all means, leave your books behind, I left my tour books

Perhaps this should be the start of a "Book Hog" thread?

I would go the first day to get some books. I just got off Solstice and when we went to the library after lunch on the first day there were so many people there getting books already. I like Lee Child books and was able to get 2 to read.

By the way, the picture above makes it looks like books go right to the top but those are just for show. The books to take out are only on the bottom few shelves that you can reach.;)

Absolutely agree! The first place we go upon boarding is the library!! We get our books and then go down to the computer room to get user names, etc. The libraries are improving because people are leaving their books, that they have read, on a stack the night before cruise termination.

I bought several paperbacks at Borders when they were going out of business and put them in my carryon bag. My son gave me a Kindle for Xmas so I took that too. All for a 7 day cruise! I left my books on the library table as I finished them so someone else could enjoy them.

The problem with onboard libraries for me is that most of the books are best sellers and I have most probably read them already. So I always bring some new ones with me; especially for the flight.

I've been on "Solstice" a few weeks ago and there were quite a lot of brand-new books to be had, classics and bestsellers both besides the usual selection of books that have obviously read by the pool next to the sunscreen bottle :rolleyes:. But it's true what others have stated - the best selection can be done on the first day of cruising. Some "book-hogs" stumble under the weight of a dozen books they have grabbed.

I can also encourage you to use a Kindle ( or Nook, which is similar) for your cruises. I'm one of those conservative people who love to have paper between my fingers when reading. But because I'm both an avid and a fast reader my husband grumbled because our luggage got heavier and heavier. Now both of us have got their own Kindle :D - stress-free vacation time because your partner isn't waiting to start his own book, lots of choices to read because I upload at home and more room in the suitcases.

By the way: there's quite a lot of reading being done in the library itself - it's very comfortable to sit there and read quietly, but only in the mornings - afternoons and evenings it's impossibly loud because of the music in the (open) atrium. That's the reason why I like the libraries on the M-class ships much better.

Archived