Melk Abbey

captbuzz

captbuzz -

Hopefully someone will chime in with an answer, and I hope the answer is "yes", because it would be a shame to miss the Melk Abbey when you are so close...

Is Tauck arranging something special in Durnstein for you? Because, I don't remember there being much to see in the village itself. Enjoyed the stop - but a morning was more than enough time. (Just my opinion here...)

Fran

Not sure where Dernstein is on the map, but the Melk Abby can easily be done on your own and is well worth the effort! Many times a cab can be hired for the day at a reasonable price and will give you guaranteed transportation and a knowledgeable driver to get you to and from.

It is only 15 miles to Melk from Durnstein. My wife did the bike tour so it is very close. WHile Durnstein is a beautiful little town, it is little and I don't know what you would do there overnight. I am sure you could easily hire a car and driver. The Abbey is beautiful and a must-see.

I loved Durnstein. It is very picturesque and has lots of medieva lequipment and ruins. It is also the place where Richard the Lionhearted was held captive in the late 1100's.

While we were there we had an excellent Austrian guide and went to a wine-tasting (in the morning!). I bought some lavender liqueur there. There were many shops, but mostly it was a beautiful little town.

If you don't get an answer here, be sure to go to TripAdvisor. There are some short cruises of the Wachau Valley, but I don't know if the timing would work for you.

The Melk Abbey was interesting to see. It was given to Benedictine Monks in 1089, and has an awesome library with ancient manuscripts. There's also a beautiful garden that we didn't get to see.

Be sure to get to the Abbey in plenty of time to see everything. The clerks in the bookstore were rude because we were there at closing. They didn't want us to stop long enough to take pictures outside on the way out. The tour inside was nice though.

They are not that far apart. We just did a Danube cruise and did Melk Abbey in the morning then cruised to Durnstein and were there around noon. I thought the Abbey was one of the highlights of the trip. Guides are former students at the Abbey school and the one we had was excellent!!!

Durnstein to me was a bit of a letdown. Cruise in to town was nice and church that looks like it is made of Wedgewood is awesome but I found the town to be overly touristy. Still a nice place but probably the least favorite of the 10 stops we had.

captbuzz, Highly recommend you call Tauck as I can't believe they are stopping in Durnstein without giving you the option of Melk Abbey. TBH it's a don't miss site; so, if not included find a way to get there. Both the exterior, and in particular the library are moments you won't forget,

BTW congrats on choosing Tauck you'll become a cheer leader!

I contacted Tauck and evidently the time in Durnstein is limited and there will not be an opportunity to visit the Abbey. Very disapointed.:mad:

I think this problem highlights the need to be sure before booking a river cruise that the itinerary covers exactly what you want to see and do. Tauck as with all the cruise companies have different style cruises of the Danube with varied itineraries and some include a stop to see Melk Abbey and some, like yours, do not.

I remember docking overnight in Durnstein after the Melk Abbey and Durnstein wine tasting/vineyard tours. We walked into town after dinner and it was so dark and deserted that we finally got to use our cell phone flashlights! It was truly eerie walking up narrow staircases, into dead-end alleys and courtyards, and through deserted main streets. I kept expecting someone to yell out "Strike the set!". I expected to see Richard The Lionheart appear at any moment! We surely got lost getting back to the ship and that was part of the fun. Somehow, that experience stands out more than any tour we had taken that whole trip.....

We spend Christmas eve and Christmas day in Durnstein. It is quaint little village with maybe 400 people. The church had midnight mass on Christmas eve and it waw quite a moving experience. They had an orchestra in the loft and played and sang Christmas carols. The church was small and had no heat but it did not seem to bother anyone. A wonderful time. After mass there was hot gleuwine outside the church to help warm you and the walk back to the ship was beautiful. Christmas day was quiet and not much in the village open but still neat to walk the ancient cobblestone streets and alleys, visit the cemetary and view the ruins where Richard the Lionhearted was incarcerated. They have great cherry and apricot schnapps. Melk Abbey is a don't miss opportunity also. Too bad it is not included in your tour.

Archived