Back from the Magic yesterday-long disembarkation!

Karmalady

Just returned from the Magic yesterday; was a great cruise. Loved the ship especially deck 5. The food was great. The service was great. The shows were good especially the juggler. Was surprised with so many people that most places weren't that crowded; sometimes I was wondering where everyone was. We had anytime dining and the service was good always without a wait with the exception of the first night and the first elegant night; the wait was a little longer but not bad at all. We cruised with good friends and got side by side cove balconys and had the divider opened up. Really enjoyed the cove; spent a lot of time there; as posted here it is closer to the water and was enjoyable. It also seemed private. Loved the itinerary; Rotan, Belize, and Cozumel.

The only hitch for us in the whole cruise was disembarkation. We did not get out of customs and in the parking lot until 1 pm. :confused: What was up with that? Does anyone know what was going on? The only thing we heard was that customs was a longer process because of going to Rotan and Belize.; and it not being a regular destination. Just wondering if anyone has any info on this.? I just kept thinking how the group going out after us must be disappointed because they couldn't get on until everyone was off. It took forever and a day. :eek:

In cruise withdrawal today.....no room service coffee; no place to sun and the scales showed a six pound gain! Oh well, I will get back on track as there will be no warm melting chocolate cake and no DOD's or beer buckets here.

For those booked on the Magic, think you will enjoy her.

Ju The only thing we heard was that customs was a longer process because of going to Rotan and Belize.; .

This is wrong. Strange tho. Hope to hear soon the reason.

Perhaps this another enhancement/cut back. J/K

Perhaps you had full customs, which Im told is every three months. I ran into that once and stood in line for 2 hours ... there were some on my roll call who were not off the ship until past 1 pm.

Sounds like this could be the case. I could not figure out what took so long when I got to customs, seemed normal to me.

Perhaps you had full customs, which Im told is every three months. I ran into that once and stood in line for 2 hours ... there were some on my roll call who were not off the ship until past 1 pm.

Sounds like this could be the case. I could not figure out what took so long when I got to customs, seemed normal to me.

That was what was odd; it didn't seem any different than any other times EXCEPT customs seemed to be taking their time. SO SLOW as if they were trying to make it take longer.; actually cracking jokes and going in slow mo. Was so happy to get out of that terminal! Felt almost held captive for a while.

That was what was odd; it didn't seem any different than any other times EXCEPT customs seemed to be taking their time. SO SLOW as if they were trying to make it take longer.; actually cracking jokes and going in slow mo. Was so happy to get out of that terminal! Felt almost held captive for a while.

Perhaps they are in a bargaining unit and its contract time!! Lol.

The Customs agents seemed to be working normal. I did not see them working slow. There was A LOT of people in line. I heard the Magic had 4300 passengers our week. I think almost all were waiting in line by 8:30. We saw 4 empty Customs lines. They were running 8 lines (I think) but we saw 4 more that could have been open if they had the personnel.

We got in line on deck 3 at 8:45 and did not get outside to the curb until 10:30. :eek: When the Lighthouse bus driver picked us up he said we were his first group to the parking lot! He said he has never seen disembarkation take so long. I hope this was a fluke. :confused:

To the OP: we sail on Magic this Sunday, thanks for all the positive comments about her. My one question: do you remember if the service of checking your bags through to your final flight destination was available? (unsure of the exact name) but we did this last December with Princess for $20 pp and hope to do it again at the end of this trip as well. Thanks

Perhaps they are in a bargaining unit and its contract time!! Lol.

You might be right. The parking lot driver who took us to our car said the customs people were working for over time pay. :eek:

In the light of day, it's a small thing really but I've never experienced anything like that on other disembarkations.

We had the same thing happen at Galveston when we got off the Mariner of the Seas. The line to go through customs was extremely long. People who got porters and non Americans went through fast. When I finally got to the end the customs person didn't even look at my luggage.

I'm taking the Magic in September and I think I'm going to leave early and do my own luggage.

The Customs agents seemed to be working normal. I did not see them working slow. There was A LOT of people in line. I heard the Magic had 4300 passengers our week. I think almost all were waiting in line by 8:30. We saw 4 empty Customs lines. They were running 8 lines (I think) but we saw 4 more that could have been open if they had the personnel.

We got in line on deck 3 at 8:45 and did not get outside to the curb until 10:30. :eek: When the Lighthouse bus driver picked us up he said we were his first group to the parking lot! He said he has never seen disembarkation take so long. I hope this was a fluke. :confused:

We didn't get off the ship until 11:30; should have been about 9 am. We were on the Lido deck and I was thinking oh my they will be serving lunch to the newcomers soon and THEY AREN'T HERE!:rolleyes:

After getting off the ship at 11:30; we were in lines until 1 pm. Rumor was they were looking for drugs so I was expecting seriousness from customs. Instead, the mood was light with them (at least the line we were in). DH overbought on the liquor and had 8 bottles and claimed them all. Customs guy just laughed and asked where the party was. :D

Hoping it was a fluke because I loved the itinerary and would go again tomorrow! Well maybe not tomorrow, gotta get these six pounds off and save some $ but soon maybe. :)

To the OP: we sail on Magic this Sunday, thanks for all the positive comments about her. My one question: do you remember if the service of checking your bags through to your final flight destination was available? (unsure of the exact name) but we did this last December with Princess for $20 pp and hope to do it again at the end of this trip as well. Thanks

We did that one time in Hawaii and it was very convenient but I don't think the Magic has that offer out of Galveston. Most people fly into Houston so it would be a drive for Carnival to get luggage to the airport. I'm not 100% positive but I did look through the Funtimes and did not see it offered.

Have fun on your cruise; you will love the Magic. Be sure and check out the BBQ on deck 5 and don't miss the Juggler show. And cream brule is Sunday night and is the best IMO!

My absolute favorite tip to give: when you exit the ship, go to the porter line and wait for a porter. Someone will be there to direct you. We tip $20 to the porter who helps us get all our luggage and then takes us to "special" custom lines that have hardly any waiting. I say special because I am not sure if just anyone can go to these lines or just those with porters only. Literally the best $20 we spend!!!

Thank you! I love the creme brûlée!!!

Did you try the steakhouse?

We did eat at the steakhouse. It was super! The food was outstanding and the service was extra special. Friend and I got steak and lobster; our dh's got the lobster and they said it was the best ever. We had some rosemary bread that was really good. We got crab cakes, lobster bisque, and onion soup for appetizers and tomatoes with some kind of oil and cheese for the salad...all good. We were all too full for desert but shared one of the chocolate samplers. We had wine with dinner; very slow relaxing meal. It was worth the upcharge; a meal that made you feel special. :)

Do they have the new Tiki mugs available on the Magic yet? Thanks!

Sent from my ARM powered phone using Tapatalk

I saw a lot of different cute drink glasses but no Tiki mugs. I could've missed them as I'm more about the drink than the glass but I don't think they were available yet. I liked the shot glasses that were lit up. They had these at a couple of the night time deck parties; very festive but after drinking all day I was afraid to throw a shot on top! :p

My absolute favorite tip to give: when you exit the ship, go to the porter line and wait for a porter. Someone will be there to direct you. We tip $20 to the porter who helps us get all our luggage and then takes us to "special" custom lines that have hardly any waiting. I say special because I am not sure if just anyone can go to these lines or just those with porters only. Literally the best $20 we spend!!![/quote]

I do the exact same thing at Port Everglades. Works like a charm!:)

We saw 4 empty Customs lines. They were running 8 lines (I think) but we saw 4 more that could have been open if they had the personnel.

You wouldn't think this would be allowed but being that it was a holiday weekend it's possible that they let a few agents take time off so there were fewer on duty than usual.

Holiday weekend, so probably short staffed.

Archived