Water Question

Merriem

We leave next Sunday for Vancouver, and I have a water question. Don't laugh, but the ship's water makes my feet swell. I talked to a physical therapist about this and she said it is something about the water that is treated that causes that.

We are in a suite, but do I still have to pay for bottled water, and in the dining room. I can survive, but it makes quite a difference.

Thanks.

We leave next Sunday for Vancouver, and I have a water question. Don't laugh, but the ship's water makes my feet swell. I talked to a physical therapist about this and she said it is something about the water that is treated that causes that.

We are in a suite, but I still have to pay for bottled water, and in the dining room. I can survive, but it makes quite a difference.

Thanks.

What is your question?

We are in a suite, but do I still have to pay for bottled water, and in the dining room. I can survive, but it makes quite a difference.

Thanks.

The ships water is treated seawater. As such there is a remnant of salt in it from the saltwater. Some folks are more sensitive than others to it.

What do they charge for a bottle of water on the ship? Wondering if it's worth trying to find a case before we board. Since going through chemo 3 years ago salt doesn't agree with me.

By the way, I am no fan of bottled water, but you might consider bringing the type that you normally drink.

I wonder if I brought my small brita filter pitcher in my suitcase if that would filter out the salt. I can drink wine at dinner

What do they charge for a bottle of water on the ship? Wondering if it's worth trying to find a case before we board. Since going through chemo 3 years ago salt doesn't agree with me.

I want to say that bottled water was 3 or 4 dollars a bottle, for the large bottles they had.

If you're in an aqua class suite i believe they put bottled water in the room included (like 2 bottles a day or something? I've never been aqua).

If you want to cover your bases, get the premium bottled water package. I believe it's 12 dollars a day so you'd net out at 3 bottles if the cost if 4 each like i seem to remember.

I want to say that bottled water was 3 or 4 dollars a bottle, for the large bottles they had.

If you're in an aqua class suite i believe they put bottled water in the room included (like 2 bottles a day or something? I've never been aqua).

If you want to cover your bases, get the premium bottled water package. I believe it's 12 dollars a day so you'd net out at 3 bottles if the cost if 4 each like i seem to remember.

I could never figure out why I had such a problem with swelling on a cruise, and where we went hot or cold it didn't matter. I assume if I bought the water package i could have the sparkling stuff too........I may look in to it.

I think cruise food is the bigger culprit for excess salt. DW used to have a problem with it, but by drinking a lot of water it is minimized.

A chief engineer told us the water they produce is essentially the same a distilled water. They add a small amount of minerals back to it for the health of the crew. It's not necessary for passengers, but for long term use the minerals are needed. This was HAL, but I got the impression it was industry standard.

So if I have the water package, I can have bottled water anytime, anyplace. Is that correct. Dining room, etc.

I founds lots of info on this topic while reading the internet, and apparently it is the water, at least most people found that by drinking only bottled water.

Merriem:

It's not just the water onboard that causes swelling. If you are accustomed to a rather low sodium diet, then many of the foods on a cruise will also cause swelling (especially the soups and seafood). I sometimes get really puffy while cruising, but I try to mitigate it with water (and beer or two) intake. :)

If you do not get the package, remember to look for the "happy hour" sales. We were able to get two for one waters and sodas at the bar during "happy hour" which occurred every day. I have the same problem with the swelling in ankles, fingers, etc. I took a case on board and even took my own water to the MDR. When my case ran out, I bought during "happy hour." I drank nothing but water and had very little problems with swelling on our two week cruise.

I could never figure out why I had such a problem with swelling on a cruise, and where we went hot or cold it didn't matter. I assume if I bought the water package i could have the sparkling stuff too........I may look in to it.

For your convenience here's the write up for the water package:

Enjoy the pure refreshment of Evian® still water and/or Pellegrino® sparkling bottled water for the duration of your cruise. Perfected by nature in the French Alps, Evian replenishes your body and mind. San Pellegrino, sourced from three great springs in northern Italy, provides the ideal accompaniment to any meal. Show your SeaPass® Card at any bar, lounge or restaurant to indicate your participation.

So, in evaluating whether to get the water package or not for $12 a day.....

What is the cost and the size (how many ounces) of a bottle of water if purchased normally?

Anyone remember?

It was one of those tall evian waters. (and there was another non sparkling brand they had to choose from as well at least on the Equinox). I believe it was the 1.5 liter size. And I really want to say it was 4.00 but I dont have proof lol

It was one of those tall evian waters. (and there was another non sparkling brand they had to choose from as well at least on the Equinox). I believe it was the 1.5 liter size. And I really want to say it was 4.00 but I dont have proof lol

Thanks, that helps. I don't think I need to book a water package.

We took a case of water on board on our Eclipse TA. This is not something we had considered before, but we chanced upon a store and saw some. We stuck a baggage tag on it, and it arrived in our cabin before our suitcases. This was the first time I could remove my rings on a cruise. Usually by the third day they are stuck tight because my fingers swell - not enough to worry about, but enough to notice. Although I am not a fan of bottled water, and never use it at home, I will take a case on future cruises if it is not too inconvenient to transport it to the port.

Sheila

Archived