Turtle farm

pinkmaija

As a die-hard animal fanatic, hearing the words "turtle farm" freaks me out. I would love to go to one, provided the turtles are not being farmed for food...

...sorry, maybe it's a dumb question. Please, make me feel better!!!

Do they shove it in your face that they are eaten? Don't think I can do it!

they have a place on site selling turtle to eat, a snack type shop more than a restaurant.

Ive eaten turtle when I lived in hawaii .. do you not eat fish or animals?

they have a place on site selling turtle to eat, a snack type shop more than a restaurant.

Ive eaten turtle when I lived in hawaii .. do you not eat fish or animals?

No, I do...I am going to sound ridiculously dumb, but I choose ignorance when it comes to how animals become our food...I am sure I'd become a vegetarian if I thought about it too much or actually sat through one of those PETA videos. Plus, turtles are so CUTE!

A week ago I found out the Cayman Turtle Farm uses the turtle for food. So it is a true farm. (I'm assuming you are talking about the one in Grand Cayman, it is the most well known). That being said, I've visited the farm nearly half a dozen times and during those visits had no idea! So no, they don't make it apparent. They truly do focus more on the life of a turtle and conservation. Check out their website for more details.

PS I love animals too (though I'm not a vegetarian or anything), but I still plan to go back. It isn't like you get to tour facilities where they are cooking them or anything like that!

When we visited the turtle farm they told us that the turtles in public areas were for breeding or conservation (they do release a number into the wild each year). The turtles for consumption were not in public areas. I found they were very upfront about breeding turtles for food (but not "in your face"), but they are also very proud of their conservation efforts. We really liked our visit - aside from the turtles, they have a lagoon, shark exhibit with a lecturer, really nice swimming pool with a waterfall, and an aviary. Plus we found this guy:

2298522780094346881S500x500Q85.jpg

When we were there a few years ago, the tanks were packed with large turtles with little room to move. It was sad. My guess is that conditions like this would never be allowed to exist in the U.S.. We were told they were raised as a food source for the island. We will never go back.

They also sell items made from Turtle Shell, which you should avoid because it is illegal to bring them back into the US.

The highlight of the tour was holding one of the hatchlings, about 3 inches across in size.

I loved visiting the turtle farm!! You can not find a more devout conservationist or person that has for a lifetime promoted responsible animal stewardship of ALL animals.

I knew they used some farmed turtles as a food source, turtle meat was available in items available at the "food shack", we chose to pass on a meal. It is by far MUCH better than harvesting these endangered animals from the sea and since turtle meat is a traditional island food it is a way to continue with renewable food source. The same goes for their shells, poaching from the ocean is just as devastating as that of land mammals, reptiles, birds etc.

It's all a matter of viewpoint..... we eat cow while others consider them sacred. Turn our noses up at horse and dogmeat while in other countries it is a delicacy and well accepted and also renewable source of protein.

I'd say to go and enjoy the farm, take lots of pictures and listen to the history. I have friends that are very involved with marine reptile conservation and especially active with the Ridley sea turtles, these are the most endangered of the sea turtles.

Now, if we could work on the Asian food markets to seek renewable food sources for river turtle meat perhaps we could get a few more of these species off the endangered lists:)

When we were there a few years ago, the tanks were packed with large turtles with little room to move. It was sad. My guess is that conditions like this would never be allowed to exist in the U.S.. We were told they were raised as a food source for the island. We will never go back.

In order for these turtles to survive they must have a tremendous flow of fresh, clean sea water. I would dare say that the turtles have it a lot better off than the pigs and chickens that we raise in most meat farms in the USA.

Some turtles are for breeding, some are for food, many are released. They aren't endangered in Grand Cayman. the program works.

A visit to the Turtle Farm is great. They have really expanded it over the years.

Lots of pictures from a recent visit:

Georgetown, Grand Cayman

Page1 - Cookies, Lido Breakfast Items, Lido Breakfast, Tendering, Royal Watler, Cayman Turtle Farm, Turtle Breeding Pond, Turtle Display, Touch Tanks, Babies, Iguana, Predator Reef, Turtle Lagoon,

Page2 - Cayman Turtle Farm, Turtle Lagoon, Caribbean Aviary, Saffron Finch, White-Crowned Pigeon, Scarlet Ibis, White Ibis, Predator Reef, Turtle Feeding, Shark Feeding, Female Red-Legged Honeycreeper, Male Red-Legged Honeycreeper,

Page3 - Cayman Turtle Farm, Male Red-Legged Honeycreeper, Turtle Lagoon, Flowers, Lockers, Nature Trail, Schooner's Bar and Grill, Iguana, Turtle Breeding Pond,

Page4 - Cayman Turtle Farm, Coconuts, Dolphin Discovery, Cemetery, Peace Memorial, Library, Royal Watler, Carnival Magic, Tender,

They aren't endangered in Grand Cayman. the program works. A visit to the Turtle Farm is great. They have really expanded it over the years.

Lots of pictures from a recent visit:

Wow!! It's been close to 20 years since we visited there. It has surely grown a lot! Opening it up to tourists has obviously made funding available to do right by these magnificent animals.

I KNOW where I want to revisit the most now, thank you for sharing those pics!! I am especially fond of the aviaries too ~ shouldn't be much of a surprise with my handle here!!

As a die-hard animal fanatic, hearing the words "turtle farm" freaks me out. I would love to go to one, provided the turtles are not being farmed for food...

...sorry, maybe it's a dumb question. Please, make me feel better!!!

Don't go to the turtle farm, it is just like a cow farm, they are raised for food.

My 6-year-old LOVED the turtle farm in Grand Cayman last year. She never did catch on (and we never told her) that some of the turtles were bred for food and even served on the cafe menu.

Then again, she also loved the iguana farm in Roatan the year prior, and was too distracted to realize that her dad and I were eating iguana for lunch. :p (I rationalized that we fed the iguanas earlier at the iguana farm, so it's only fair that they feed us in return. :D)

THANK YOU everyone for making me feel MUCH better! Is there just one turtle farm in Grand Cayman? That is the one we were thinking of going to (other ports = Cozumel & Ochos Rios, so if they exist there too those are options).

Thanks again!!

I take it you have never been on or seen a farm? Have you seen pictures of chicken farms or dairy farms that have animals packed together.

I love the turtle farm, and I am going back again, I love animals I do eat meat, if I had to kill for my own meals, I don't think I could. Atleast they are returning some to the wild, don't see many farmers in the US doing much good for the environment.

Hi,

It is a learning center as well as breeding

for food.

If it bothers you...well you know ahead of time.

BTW, when at the turtle farm in GC you can step across

the road to the Dolphin place...free to just walk around.

...no they don't eat them....just farm them for money in other

ways.

And while you are there...the Rum cake factory is a little

down the road.

I like GC a lot.

:D

Wow!! It's been close to 20 years since we visited there. It has surely grown a lot! Opening it up to tourists has obviously made funding available to do right by these magnificent animals.

I KNOW where I want to revisit the most now, thank you for sharing those pics!! I am especially fond of the aviaries too ~ shouldn't be much of a surprise with my handle here!!

you're welcome and enjoy!

THANK YOU everyone for making me feel MUCH better! Is there just one turtle farm in Grand Cayman? That is the one we were thinking of going to (other ports = Cozumel & Ochos Rios, so if they exist there too those are options).

Thanks again!!

The one and only that I know of anywhere.

Sorry to inform you.

Most definately DOES occur in the US, and every other place where animals are factory farmed. Not every one, but very, very many.

A farmer friend recently told me: the cheaper the meat is that you purchase is directly proportional to the amount of suffering the animal endured. It's simple math. Cheap meat=poor conditions and treatment. We just don't want to face it, or admit it.

... Plus, turtles are so CUTE!

Not knocking ya PINKMAIJA, but I think that is the biggest part of the problem in society today - Hollywood and its marketing team has created that perception that "XXX animal is soooo cute", and the add on perception of "so they must be mistreated in place YYYY if they eat them".

Honestly in many parts of the world today they have farms where these animals are bred (in large adequately-sized enclosures) and are a sustainable resource.

In Africa I did some accounting work at a client once, and they had buck and other wild animals running around in the office park. In fact many of the suburban office parks will have buck and other similar animals running around in a secure (LARGE) part of the office park. It just looks nice when the workers look out the window and see the animals. So anyway, I asked the client how much they spend to buy the animals each year (looking for tax savings ...), and the reply was "well actually the d**n things breed like flies, and we have to sell some off every year."

I'll eat (almost) anything sustainable - ok maybe not snakes and scorpions :eek:

Archived