Train to Berlin

Hi. I asked the question in another thread, but maybe on its own has a better chance for an answer:

"We are thinking to take a Princess tour that uses a special train from Wernemunde to Berlin. Our cruise is in August and it seams that the train does not have A.C. I was wondering if is anybody who took this trip, and if it is not uncomfortable to travel 6 hours with such a train.

Thanks."

Global warming has hit Europe as well as the U.S. There have been periods over the past summers where the temperature has risen to the high 80's and even higher.

I understand the windows on the train don't open the whole way. The train would be too hot for me. I took a private tour on a bus with a/c.

Interestingly, the train was delayed, and we got back to the ship before the train did.

Then it's better to take a ordinary train, which all have A/C (except from Warnemünde to Rostock - 30 min.) But then the ship wouldn't wait if the train is delayed!

a local expert has chimed in on this subject before and apparantly the only cruise line which ports early enough to make the high speeds train a possibility is HAL

the main complaint about the ship sponsored trains is indeed the lack of air conditioning.Also once youget to the train station in Berlin they may transfer you to a coach to a central meeting point-more wasted time

We went with SPB on an airconditioned coach which got us back to the ship before the train

The advantage of going with a reputable private company is that it's going to be the end of the line for their business if they cause passengers to miss their ship so they have contingency insurance to make sure they dont!

I know that on our Disney cruise in 2010, it was about 90 degrees the July day we were in Warnemunde. We didn't do the train to Berlin, but those who did reported that the heat was dreadful without air-con. I wouldn't risk it in July or August, but possibly OK in say May or September. Or wait to book until a few days before when you can check the weather forecast.

Archived