Fun Factory rates/hours

BethV114

Hi everyone. When we sail the Summit in November, DD will be just over 3, so this will be our first cruise where she is able to use the Fun Factory. As such, I have absolutely no experience with the program and was wondering if some more experienced family cruisers might be able to help me out. First off, I believe that I read in a post that there is a charge to use the Fun Factory at certain times. Does anyone know how much this charge is and when it's applicable? Second, does anyone have any knowledge of what types of programs/activities might be available to DD?

We don't plan on using the Fun Factory a ton, but do want to be able to use it for a few hours on the one sea day so that the adults can have some "down" time, as well as for an hour or so each evening so that we can attend the elite event. We don't mind paying a few dollars an hour for the privilege of having some adult time, but would like to know what to expect in advance.

Thank you!!

Okay, so correct me if I'm reading that information incorrectly.

Fun Factory is open 9am-10pm every day (except probably embarkation day) and use is generally complimentary. However, on port days, there is a charge for lunchtime (12pm-2pm) and each evening there is a charge from 5pm-7pm. The port day lunch time is not an issue for us as we intend to be off the ship and having fun :). On the one sea day we have, we would either drop DD off for a few hours after breakfast/before lunch or mid-afternoon after having lunch together. So the "lunch party" is a moot topic for us.

Where I begin to get confused is the "dinner party" from 5pm-7pm. We typically have dinner on the ship at around 6:30pm or 7pm and were hoping to be able to drop DD off at the Fun Factory so that we can attend the elite event in the evenings. We have no interest in having DD dine with the Fun Factory staff. It says that from 5pm-6pm the kids play in the Fun Factory and then at 6pm they go to dinner with the Fun Factory staff. Would we be able to drop DD off at 5pm for the Fun Factory only portion of the evening and then pick her back up at 6pm to take her to dinner with us? Paying the $6/hour isn't an issue.

Sorry for all of the questions! This will be our first cruise when DD is old enough for the Fun Factory and we want to make sure what we're able to use the service a bit so that we can all have fun :D.

Your approach to having your daughter in the Fun Factory mirrors ours.

Our experience has been that, as long as you keep the fun factory staff informed of 'your' timings they will happily have your daughter in the program for whatever time you prescribe (within the guidelines) and I believe that having her from 5-6 will not be a problem.

With regards to the dinners, children should be registered to attend so that the saff can plan for the event. It has been our experience that sometimes the dinners were cancelled as there were no children looking to participate. If that is the case you might find the fun factory closed - best check with them on boarding. We prefer having our daugher eat with us but on one occassion when we went to the speciality restaurant (no kids allowed) she went to the dinner party and had a ball.

On another note we have also found the staff in the Fun Factory to be great and our daughter is always desperate to go.

PS The fun factory staff do not participate in the ship's on board tipping pool so you may want to leave them something, if you think it is appropriate, based on your daughter's usage of the facilities.

have a great cruise

I think you should be fine with your plan to drop your DD off to play from 5-6 pm. For the Dinner Party, they take the kids as a group to either the grill or the buffet to get dinner. So you may want to ask where they're going in case you're a few minutes late or the group leaves early and you need to track them down.

Here's a sample of the kids newsletters. They will be in your cabin every day to let you know the daily activities. These are a bit dated (2008) but should give you a general idea. http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb196/cruisinmama06/Celebrity%20X/?action=view&current=CelebrityAllWelcome.jpg

Has anyone had their children participate in the VIP program?

If so, what was your children's experience with the program? What was your opinion of it? What were the benefits you felt were worth the expense. Did your children participate in the Slumber Parties? How much did you or your kids benefit from participating in it? Overall, did you feel it was worth it?

Well we went on the Summit last year to Bermuda - so the times might change a bit with the charges but....

Generally it was open 9-12 (free no charge), lunch - I believe was usually 12-2 and a ($6 and hour fee), then 2-5 free, 5-7 dinners ($6 per hour charge), 7-10 free, and then 10-1 is the slumber party and that is again $6 an hour.

We never used any of the paid times on our last cruise. DD#1 was 4 at the time and her sister was 2 so we didn't feel the need to use it. We are sailing again this summer and will probably use it about the same amount maybe a little more since both girls can go (3 and 5). For us - on sea days for example DD would go in around 930 or 10 and stay until about 1130. Then she would have lunch with us and we would swim, rest, wander around the ship a bit. Depending on the activity she would return in the afternoon for about 1-1.5 hours. Then she came to dinner with us and when she got restless about an hour into the meal we walked her upstairs for the free portion of the evening. We would pick her back up around 830, 9 at the latest.

On port days she would only go evenings after dinner and then maybe an hour in the afternoon for the 2-5 time.

There were children we heard who where in the program from the moment it opened until the moment it closed each and every day, while others only went 2-3 hours all week, and then everything in between.

We often had to drag DD out she had such a great time. As far as activities I'm sure you could do a search and find some fun factory dailies from last year - but here are some of the activities:

Superhero time - they made masks and capes and paraded around and made up special powers, etc.

They decorated small teddy bears and played games and did activities with them.

They had a music block where they made instruments, etc.

They did a lot of games, arts and crafts, and there were some movies as well. I did remember one night that they took the kids to the theater to see a movie.

My DD has food allergies so we avoided the food activities - but from the sheets I remember they had cupcake decorating and I think ice cream sundae making parties etc.

We would look at the sheets and let DD go to what she was most interested in. Unfortunately they did have some good things on port days that we missed but I would say most things sounded like fun.

Oh forgot to add that - the last sea day the entire fun factory put on a talent show for the parents. Every child participated. They broke them up by age. DD did 3 things - hula hoops, chicken dance and I think twinkle, twinkle little star. It was long but very cute.

DH made a point of picking up the Summit Fun Factory schedules on our cruise (disembarked today) and he'll be scanning and posting them in the next couple of days. Link should show up in the signature block when he does that. (Sorry, he's pretty wiped after driving much of the day and then, hey, nobody did the grocery shopping or dinner prep for us..... anyhow, I don't think he's up for posting it tonight.)

S

DH made a point of picking up the Summit Fun Factory schedules on our cruise (disembarked today) and he'll be scanning and posting them in the next couple of days. Link should show up in the signature block when he does that. (Sorry, he's pretty wiped after driving much of the day and then, hey, nobody did the grocery shopping or dinner prep for us..... anyhow, I don't think he's up for posting it tonight.)

S

Oh wow thank you so much! That is wonderful that you are willing to do that!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I also wanted to add something about Tips for Fun Factory staff.

We just returned from Celebrity Summit to Bermuda and used the Fun Factory every day for our 2 sons, age 4 and 9 ("Shipmates" and "Ensigns" group). The program exceeded our expectations. Our sons LOVED the counselors and activities and were always happy to go. My husband and I were very pleased with the facilities and found every counselor we met to be kind and engaging.

On the last full day of the cruise I realized we should tip the counselors, but was unsure whether to tip individually or as a group. Gratuities for Fun Factory staff are not automatically charged to your account, so whatever you give them in cash is the only tips they receive. I first asked Guest Relations what the proper protocol was, but they did not really know, and said we should probably tip individually. I was stressing out trying to determine which counselors spent the most time with which child, but there are so many counselors that it would add up to hundreds of dollars. So I finally asked the Fun Factory Manager her advice, and she said we could just give one amount and they would pool it among the counselors in each child's group. She also added that a special note or drawing from the kids would be most welcome, as they have a bulletin board where they post such things. I felt so relieved!

Our 2 kids used the program extensively. I ended up giving a $100 bill in an envelope with a gracious thank you message from myself and my 9 year old. The 4 year old simply signed his own name. I felt that this was a reasonable amount.

Does anyone have any other thoughts on Fun Factory tipping?

Hi, I also wanted to add something about Tips for Fun Factory staff.

We just returned from Celebrity Summit to Bermuda and used the Fun Factory every day for our 2 sons, age 4 and 9 ("Shipmates" and "Ensigns" group). The program exceeded our expectations. Our sons LOVED the counselors and activities and were always happy to go. My husband and I were very pleased with the facilities and found every counselor we met to be kind and engaging.

On the last full day of the cruise I realized we should tip the counselors, but was unsure whether to tip individually or as a group. Gratuities for Fun Factory staff are not automatically charged to your account, so whatever you give them in cash is the only tips they receive. I first asked Guest Relations what the proper protocol was, but they did not really know, and said we should probably tip individually. I was stressing out trying to determine which counselors spent the most time with which child, but there are so many counselors that it would add up to hundreds of dollars. So I finally asked the Fun Factory Manager her advice, and she said we could just give one amount and they would pool it among the counselors in each child's group. She also added that a special note or drawing from the kids would be most welcome, as they have a bulletin board where they post such things. I felt so relieved!

Our 2 kids used the program extensively. I ended up giving a $100 bill in an envelope with a gracious thank you message from myself and my 9 year old. The 4 year old simply signed his own name. I felt that this was a reasonable amount.

Does anyone have any other thoughts on Fun Factory tipping?

Thank you for sharing your experience and suggestion.

We will be sailing the Summit to Bermuda.

Did you purchase the VIP Package for your children? Did they join in on the slumber parties? I am considering purchasing the packages for my granddaughters. It is my understanding that those additional charges such as for the slumber parties or meals become all inclusive with no additional charges once the kids are VIP. Did they participate in the VIP?

I think it is up to their discretion. They told us no at the terminal when my 4 year old registered. On the ship they said yes since my 2 year old was potty trained. They allowed her to do the 3-5 activities as long as an adult stayed with her. She only went once maybe twice as she preferred to swim and explore the ship. It may depend on how many want to go in. I also think I saw last year on celebrity's site that a parent could accompany them IF they were potty trained.

We had our Grandaughter (3+) and had a great time. At the MDR, the waitstaff was very attentive. Had her highchair all set up, a snack and drink in a drink cup ready, fanatastic. I think the miss their kids and dot on ours.

She loved the Fun Factory...at her age we stayed with her and switched off.

No one mentioned babysitting in the SR. We had it and it was two of the young ladies from the Fun Factory. I think it was $10ph. Great. I assume it is on all ships.

Enjoy your cruise. I can't wait for our's to get a bit older and we can take her off without her parents!

Den

nicebbern:

We considered the VIP packages but ended up passing on them, as we did not think we would be using the time periods they charge for enough to justify the cost. Honestly, I was more interested in it for the Behind The Scenes tours, but DH talked me out of it. So we just paid the hourly rate ($6) as needed when they did the Slumber Parties, which was a few times.

Below is an excerpt from the Celebrity website about the VIP Package:

Celebrity's V.I.P Pass is a unique opportunity for your child to have unlimited access to all program activities. The one time V.I.P Pass fee offers families over a 40% savings off the cost of individual Lunch, Dinner, and Slumber parties. In addition, V.I.P Pass holders are the only children who will be given an exclusive Fun Factory goodies bag and have access to exclusive Fun Factory experiences like a behind-the-scenes ship tour. An additional charge applies to purchasing a V.I.P. Party Pass. Children's products and services are not available on Celebrity Xpedition®.

Our daughter spent a fair bit of time in the Fun Factory on Millie, when we sailed Alaska a few years back. She was 8 at the time, and loved all the activities and the dinners with the other kids and staff.

She enjoyed it so much that she actually asked to be excused from having dinner with us (?!!) so she could make pizzas with the group one evening.

It afforded us the opportunity to have an impromtu romantic dinner, but the wait staff in the restaurant kept enquiring about her. Lol.

As I recall, I think the VIP package cost about $100, and it included all the activities and slumber party options, so it was a very nice treat. As an earlier post mentioned, we did have to drag her out of there as she found it much more fun than hanging with her parents, and there were some other kids at the Fun Factory who were, literally, in there from right after breakfast until the slumber party ended. Oh, and she also really enjoyed the ship's tour and got to meet the captain and see how the ship works. Great fun over all!

Make sure you go to the orientation meeting usually on the first day. You will meet all the counselors and they will explain everything. There is usually a sign up desk available. Also, not sure about a 3 yr. old but my kids loved the slumber party. Basically they plan games watch a movie and fall asleep. It is a great chance for mom and dad to get a nice late night out..

Make sure you go to the orientation meeting usually on the first day. You will meet all the counselors and they will explain everything. There is usually a sign up desk available. Also, not sure about a 3 yr. old but my kids loved the slumber party. Basically they plan games watch a movie and fall asleep. It is a great chance for mom and dad to get a nice late night out..

What do they do - come in PJs? How does it work? We never considered the slumber party in the past but this time maybe we would do it the last night when I don't care if they are tired the next day. What happens they play a movie they fall asleep and then you carry them back to the room after?

Archived