Do you enjoy "making conversation" with assigned tablemates on cruises?

librarygal

In previous cruises (before my last one) my wife and I ate in the main dining room for most dinners with our "assigned tablemates" in tables that fit 6-10 people. The whole thing was quite an experience.

They say man's greatest fear is public speaking with making small talk with strangers coming in second. So with that in mind many of my assigned table mates in cruises over the years struggled just as hard as I did trying to come up with small talk to keep the conversation going.

In some cases we were quite successful and had some great conversations but in most cases the conversations made everyone nervous and ill at ease. There is only so much you can say to people you don't have any connection with day after day after day.

so...Do you enjoy "making conversation" with assigned tablemates on cruises? Tell us about your successes and disasters!

We have done very well in the tablemates sweepstakes. only one or two were poor choices. We have met people from all over the world and had a great time with them. Som ewe have even sailed with again,

Like anywhere you will meet people you really like and others that you might not bond with. But hopefully over the course of the cruise you can find common topics to talk about and learn something you didn't know.

Keith

I enjoy having conversations with people, even strangers.......if I have to "make" conversation, if it's an effort to keep a conversation piddling along, then, no I don't like it. It's not the end of the world to do so for a meal, but I wouldn't want to do that for every meal.

For me it's not so much about whether I have things in common or any connection with those people as much as whether or not they're good conversationalists who want to talk with me (notice I said "with me", not "at me"). There can always be interesting things to talk about if the other person is interested in talking about different things, but some people either don't want to have a conversation (which is a two way street), want to talk about only one thing, or don't want to talk with strangers at all.

If I found table mates where conversation was too difficult, I'd ask to be assigned to a different table, or find other dining options on the ship.

Have seen quite a variety; some as exciting as watching paint dry, some who just wouldn't shut up, and the majority who were pleasant and shared interesting facts about themselves or where they are from etc. After a port visit there is always the opportunity to share what each did at that port and what is planned for the next.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

No, I don't look forward to it. More often than not it's ended up pretty well, but ahead of time, I dread it and hope they all go to the buffet.

Which is why we always choose the anytime dining option whenever it's offered (which it is now on many lines), and usually request a table for 2 when being seated. If we ever felt the need to socialize and requested to share a table, at least we would know it would be a one-time deal, unless we really clicked with our tablemates, and chose to continue the relationship.

But I really hate having to appear social if I'm not feeling it.

We have only cruised twice, but have really enjoyed getting to know our tablemates (not only at the table but in random encounters around the ship). On our last cruise in 2010, we were the youngest couple of three at the table (a couple of other women were only there the first night). The others were much more experienced cruisers, so they offered us advice about cruise activities, etc.

The oldest couple at our table enjoyed dancing together daily, so their experience encouraged us as we took dancing lessons on the cruise. The middle couple blessed us with their constant positive attitude "another day in paradise" (I have also seen them here on CC giving the same counsel).

I'm not much of a conversationalist, but thankfully DW is, so I'm looking forward to getting to know our tablemates next March-April when I surprise DW with a 14 day cruise to Hawaii!

For the most part, I love meeting my tablemates - I've never had any trouble finding things to talk about with them (on a cruise, I find that "What did you do in port today?" or "What are you planning to do tomorrow" are good conversational openers). There are plenty of options (smaller tables, specialty dining, the buffet) for people who don't enjoy the dining-with-strangers phenomemon. But for me, meeting new people with experiences different from mine is part of the appeal of travel.

Usually, yes. Most often we choose assigned seating at a table for 8. We have met some interesting people over the years and enjoyed meeting for cocktails before dinner, going on excursions together, etc. It adds to the fun. But sometimes you get a stinker. One woman I remember, she complained about everything all the time. Nary a positive word came out of her mouth. So ye pays yer money and ye takes yer chance.

The few times we've shared a table, it's always been "ok." It's never as bad as I've prepared it to be in my head. If nothing else, it's given me and my husband something to joke about after we've dined with some pompous jerks or chatty cathys.

We instead enjoy tables for two most nights and meet new friends other ways (cruise critic roll calls, meet and greets, sharing excursions, and sometimes it's just that we keep seeing other people at the same activities we are at). We enjoy making friends and having conversations, but prefer to "feel out" those we connect with rather than having random selection force us together.

I have no idea how they do it but Maitre d's seem do to an excellent job matching up table-mates. Once and a while you will get a dud but for the most part you meet wonderful new friends and we enjoy learning about them, where they are from and their experiences.

For this reason we always request a large table - for eight or ten. While there is always a chance of having utterly boring or unpleasant people at your table; if there are three, or -- better still - four other couples there will always be someone worth getting to know and talk with.

Meeting new people on a regular basis, for dinner, is one of the pleasures of a cruise.

Oh hell no! I have absolutely no interest in making small talk with people I will probably not see again, with a little luck. Dinner is "me time", time to quietly review my day and simply sit there and enjoy my dinner. After all, isn't that why I'm in the dining room? So I always get a table for two just to myself.

No, I don't like it at all and that's why I prefer anytime dining and ask for a table for just me and the person(s) I am cruising with. Some people like the social aspects of cruising and dinner, but I don't cruise for that.

I haven't had this experience yet. We've cruised twice and had a table for four with our friends. We have not requested it, it has just come to us both times :confused:

I would gladly try having strangers as tablemates. Our nation is known for being private, sulky and silent which actually makes me and my husband quite exceptional :)

On my next cruise I've booked My Time Dining because I'm cruising with my Mom and she doesn't really speak English. I don't want to be rude to other people by speaking a language which nobody else will understand or (worse) speaking to other people when my Mom can't understand!

On the Allure we also have MTD since we want to try all the specialty restaurants and we'll probably dine in the MDR only once.

We really like socializing and are keen to see if we'll one day get assigned tablemates! So if a solo travels on the same cruise, we'd love to have you with us for dinner :)

We have met some of the nicest people in the world..(and still stay in touch)

AND

We have met some of the craziest people in the world..(we do NOT stay in touch)

:eek::eek::eek:

:D Too Funny! Same with us!

DH & I are both in professions that require us to interact with members of the public all day every day. We also do a lot of networking. Over the course of our careers we have honed those skills & can usually talk to almost anyone about anything & make the other people at least not feel awkward. Like anything else, it's a skill.

Great "easy" topics tend to focus on:

• where are you from?
  • what did you do to day in port?
  • did you check out the _____ on board?
  • have you sailed before?
  • if there's a sporting event we may ask who they are routing for or if they are planning to watch on board, e.g. The SuperBowl, the World Series, the world cup in soccer.
  • what are you doing tomorrow?

We both know a few clean jokes, which can often break the ice. I would never dream of telling an off color joke to people I didn't know well.

Part of any good conversation includes active listening. We are genuinely interested in our table mates' answers.

Body language also speaks volumes. It's pretty easy to tell when somebody really doesn't want to talk. At which point, DH & I just talk to each other.

We have met & remained friends with many people. We have met & never spoken to others again. A few dinners does not guarentee a lifetime commitment.

Have we talked with tablemates at dinner? Sure.

Do we enjoy it? Oh God, no!

We aren't out to make friends, and we don't like being "forced" to talk with specific people.

The last 5 or so cruises we've requested a table for two. That way we can avoid it.

DH & I are both in professions that require us to interact with members of the public all day every day. Like anything else, it's a skill.

Body language also speaks volumes. It's pretty easy to tell when somebody really doesn't want to talk. At which point, DH & I just talk to each other.

Totally agree! We are totally comfortable and enjoy talking to strangers. Still, there's a big difference between those who are a bit shy and those who really rather be alone and not bothered with others but didn't get a table for two. You're right on the body language ... there are times when it is best just to talk to each other.

For this reason we always request a large table - for eight or ten. While there is always a chance of having utterly boring or unpleasant people at your table; if there are three, or -- better still - four other couples there will always be someone worth getting to know and talk with.

Meeting new people on a regular basis, for dinner, is one of the pleasures of a cruise.

Completely agree with this! We've been very lucky, too. I like people who are well traveled and willing to share their experiences. You can learn a lot.:)

Archived