Question re: Mahogany bay

I know I should ask this on Roatan board, but not much activity there. Does anyone know if Royal Caribbean frequently allows Carnival to dock at Coxen Hole if there is a wind problem with Mahogany Bay, and Royal does not have a ship there that particular day ?

I know I should ask this on Roatan board, but not much activity there. Does anyone know if Royal Caribbean frequently allows Carnival to dock at Coxen Hole if there is a wind problem with Mahogany Bay, and Royal does not have a ship there that particular day ?

I think yes. I have read that it happens sometime.

I guesswhat do you mean by frequently? Everytime a wind problem comes up and Coxen Hole is empty? That I couldn't say. I do know that at times in the past when the Dreamwas unable to dock in Mahogany Bay the ship did dock in Coxen Hole, but other times it did not. Whether or not there was another ship in CH or scheduled to be in CH and had not arrived, I wouldn't know.

I hear that MBCC just had Dixon's Cove redredged and that should, at least for a time, help solve the narrow channel/wind issue for MBCC dockings. Sooner or later the silt runoff from the surrounding hills will build up and a redredge will have to be conducted.

Coxen Hole, is not an RCCL dock, it is a government facility. If it is not being used by someone else CCL can use it, in fact until they built Carnival Village that is where CCL docked.

I guesswhat do you mean by frequently? Everytime a wind problem comes up and Coxen Hole is empty? That I couldn't say. I do know that at times in the past when the Dreamwas unable to dock in Mahogany Bay the ship did dock in Coxen Hole, but other times it did not. Whether or not there was another ship in CH or scheduled to be in CH and had not arrived, I wouldn't know.

I hear that MBCC just had Dixon's Cove redredged and that should, at least for a time, help solve the narrow channel/wind issue for MBCC dockings. Sooner or later the silt runoff from the surrounding hills will build up and a redredge will have to be conducted.

Don't know what a MBCC is nor what Dixon's cove is, but MB's problem was not all a silt problem, the problem was the channel was built too small due to the reefs under the water. Apparantly to redredge, part of the ecology system has to be destroyed, which initially was what Roatan hoped to keep. Some has now been destroyed for the sake of their economy. They have substantial loss each time a ship sailed away without docking. I can just imagine the locals waiting for business, only to see it disappear in front of their eyes.

Thank you for the info..We have been there twice on Royal , and a misinformed person told me it was Royal's exclusively. On our next CCL cruise there, there are no other ships there that day, so hopefully no problem..:)

Coxen Hole, is not an RCCL dock, it is a government facility. If it is not being used by someone else CCL can use it, in fact until they built Carnival Village that is where CCL docked.

Correct. We've docked there with RCL, CCL before Mahogany, and NCL.

I was on the Magic last week and the captain could not dock at Mahogany Bay because of the wind. However, Carnival Liberty did dock at Mahogany Bay and it is only a little smaller from a profile, wind loading point of view. I think the Dream class ships have a problem with sideways propulsion compared with the other Carnival class ships.

When the captain was trying to park Magic, the whole ship shook and vibrated. It reminded me of the movie Airport where George Kennedy was trying to get the Boeing 707 unstuck from the mud/snow. I could also imagine a guy named Scotty in the engine room calling up to the captain saying he was giving him all she's got! ;)

We docked in Coxen Hole. We were able to salvage our day by taking a personal tour of the island offered by a private guide we met in the parking lot. :D

I was on the Magic last week and the captain could not dock at Mahogany Bay because of the wind. However, Carnival Liberty did dock at Mahogany Bay and it is only a little smaller from a profile, wind loading point of view. I think the Dream class ships have a problem with sideways propulsion compared with the other Carnival class ships.

When the captain was trying to park Magic, the whole ship shook and vibrated. It reminded me of the movie Airport where George Kennedy was trying to get the Boeing 707 unstuck from the mud/snow. I could also imagine a guy named Scotty in the engine room calling up to the captain saying he was giving him all she's got! ;)

We docked in Coxen Hole. We were able to salvage our day by taking a personal tour of the island offered by a private guide we met in the parking lot. :D

Coxen's Hole is closer to the West End beaches than Mahogany Bay, so it is much better to dock there. The further from MB the better!

Don't know what a MBCC is nor what Dixon's cove is, but MB's problem was not all a silt problem, the problem was the channel was built too small due to the reefs under the water. Apparantly to redredge, part of the ecology system has to be destroyed, which initially was what Roatan hoped to keep. Some has now been destroyed for the sake of their economy. They have substantial loss each time a ship sailed away without docking. I can just imagine the locals waiting for business, only to see it disappear in front of their eyes.

MBCC is Mahogany Bay Cruise Center. Dixon's Cove is the prior name for the cove where MBCC is. You are correct on the ecological changes. FWIW, the buildings at the beach (ex cabanas) at MBCC used to house an eco-friendly camp/resort, but they went belly up or lost their lease to the local politician/owner of the land there.

Coxen's Hole is closer to the West End beaches than Mahogany Bay, so it is much better to dock there. The further from MB the better!

Your view may be shared by a lot of us who enjoy visiting the island; but many, many, more cruisers are very happy that Mahogany Bay was built.

It's isolated enough to keep the poor side of Coxen Hole( which often raised the false "fear factor") and elsewhere from their view and offers a relatively inexpensive day at the beach on 7 day cruises that seemingly force expensive (for families, at least) excursions on to cruisers.

When we were on our last Legend cruise, we were supposed to dock at the BRAND NEW MAHOGANY BAY, the ship sailed up to the entrance, backed out, and went to Coxen Hole. I guess someone notified the tourist board, because we were port side, and some musicicans and dancers showed up at the dock, still wiping the sleep from thier eyes, and started a show, which went on all day. But what they told us was that the sand that had been dredged had been pushed back and was blocking the entrance to the small bay. I wish they could have figured out a way to shuttle us to Mahogany Bay as that was the big draw for this cruise. I have learned two things on that cruise, have a back up plan and 2) have another back up plan for your back up plan.:)

So I am sorry to hear that they are still having potential problems for Mahogany Bay. Since that was our last port we were short on cash for any excursion, so we stayed on the ship. But if they are still having docking problems, I will set aside some cash to go to a beach somewhere ther. That was the most beautiful water I have ever seen.

Archived