Radiance of the Seas NB Alaska cruise 5-11/5-18

All I can say is WOW, Alaska is gorgeous. While we didnt see much wildlife, the scenary was amazing.

This was our 3rd cruise aboard the wonderful Radiance of the Seas, but our first Alaska cruise.

Having seen the old ROS a couple times before drydock, I was looking forward to exploring the new ROS. She was our first RCCL cruise Thaksgiving 2009 when she was doing the MR from San Diego. Than we did her last year before her drydock to get our last Seaview cafe fix.

I have always said this is my favorite size of ship whether it be RCCl Radiance or CCl Spirit, HAL Westerdam or X Infinity. Perfect size with alot of outside views.

Especially the Radiance. She is an elegant cruise ship without being stuffy. With all the inside sitting areas, in front of glass, she is perfect ship to see Alaska.

I do have the cruise compass and alot of photos so please be patient as I have to figure out how to link or downsize

So we flew to YVR on thursday night pre-cruise and stayed @ the Sheraton airport hotel

We booked thru Hotwire as we wernt worried about what hotel just good and cheap($90 betterbidding;))

We were arriving in the evening and didnt have time to sight see. Besides we have been there a few times.

Going thru Canadian customs isnt as easy as it used to be. They had 3 border agents and the line we chose decided to take a break right after we chose that line:rolleyes: So it took about 30 minutes to thru security. Its easier to get into Mexico than Canada. The good thing about Canada is the luggage carts are free:D

So we found our hotel shuttle and was there in 10 min. The shuttle serves 3 hotels Sheraton, the Hilton and the Marriott. We were the last drop off. Hotel was clean and comfortable and for my GF it had a Starbucks in the lobby. I will say Sheraton has some comfortable beds as we fell asleep right away even thou we were anticipating our first Alaska cruise

Can't wait for your full review, isn't Alaska beautiful....

All I can say is WOOOOOOOOW. Absolutely Beautiful. We cant wait to go back and see more

So we wake up to a sunny crisp morning. We had precruise concerns of rain but today there was none. Yeah its a good day

So we decided to take a taxi and for $35 + tip it was alot more convienent than public transportation or a shared shuttle. Traffic was smooth until we got to the Cruise terminal.

Canada Place had 2 other ships in port besides the Radiance (Rhapsody, HAL Westerdam)

The Radiance was in the #1 position so we got to be dropped off right outside the door in front of security. Bags loaded thru the scanner we grabbed our carryons, walked 50 ft and was inline by 11am. With 3 ships sharing the same entrance thru security I was worried it would be a really long line but it took about 15 minutes from the time we got in line thru the security scanners, talk with US customs and sitting in the waiting room..

We sat in the same room as the cruisers waiting to board the Rhapsody so it started to fill up really fast. After about 15min they opened up the gate and we all funneled out the door to our appropriate boarding areas. Rhapsody to the left and Radiance to the right. Since we had upgraded to a JS we were in the Suite line. It seemed they only had a few agents to assist the suite/D+ cruisers. While the other line seemed to have 15 agents and moved alot lot faster. Oh well it seemed like it took about 30 min for 10 people to get thru our line. But that is probably an exaggeration since we couldnt wait to board our favorite ship.

With S&S cards in hand, we walk with a quickend pace and much anticipation of our upcoming cruise.

Next up day1

All I can say is WOOOOOOOOW. Absolutely Beautiful. We cant wait to go back and see more

Yep I always laugh when people talk about their "once in a life time" trip to Alaska. Once you go the first time - ya always want to go back!!!!:)

Yep I always laugh when people talk about their "once in a life time" trip to Alaska. Once you go the first time - ya always want to go back!!!!:)

Thats what I thought as well but there is so much to see.

Sounds like you really had a great time!:) Looking forward to reading more of your review!
We did I will be posting more this afternoon

I am curious to see what you thought of Alaska in May. We wouldn't do it that early again. Most of the wildlife are still sleeping. :D

While there wasnt much wildlife I think seeing all the fresh snow made it a different experience than a summer cruise. We had a great time even thou it was cold and a little rainy.

Also the ports wernt crowded since it wasnt full schedule of cruise ships.

Im thinking when we do it next time it will be summer months with the salmon running and the bears chasing and probably a third @ end of season

But i would not pass on the experience if the opportunity arises. Especially the price we paid for a JS

Do you by any chance have the MDR menus? Leaving in 3 weeks but may want to do Chops but not sure which day. Can't wait to hear rest of review

I dont have the actual menus and we only ate in the MDR the first and last nights but this is what I remember.

the first night was the Vidalia onion tart/Prime rib and some type of fish

second night/1st formal night was the Escargot/Duck/ Filet of beef

6th night/2nd formal night Mahi Mahi tempura/Turkey Dinner:eek:

7th night was the Prime rib/Fishermans platter(Lobster tail & Shrimp)

We didnt eat in Chops this time but ate @ Samba and it was great

It looks like the normal menu rotation except they swapped day 6 and 7:confused:

someone else may have the menus posted.

Your links don't seem to be working. I get a message saying 'go away, no hotlinking allowed'.

Im new at this

I tried to do links and it wasnt working so I resized to fit the post. Hopefully that will help

if you want to save the planners or compass'

right click on your mouse

than click on save picture as

Than save with whatever name you want

Hope that helps

So with our S&S cards in hand we board on the promenade (deck5)

We walk around the centrum wide eyed. We cant believe we are on the Radiance again. We thought we would never see her after she went down under. We also didnt have any plans of doing an alaskan cruise for at least a few years. So we were elated to be on this magnificent ship again.

We hop on the elevator and head up to the lido (deck11) for my DOD and to have lunch in the WJ. Once we have our DOD in hand we know we are on a cruise and can really relax.

So we walk to the WJ to have some lunch as we hadnt eaten much at the hotel for breakfast. As we walk past elevators I notice the new doghouse. This is one of the places I was interested in trying. I do enjoy a good sausage or Bratwurst.

So i ordered one of the chicken sausages than went in to the WJ to get some honey stung chicken( a first day must for lunch for me)

Walked back to an empty fantail(Aft Windjammer) and found a table (starboard side) in the sun with views of dowtown Vancouver.

Our favorite place to eat on the Radiance besides our balcony. We would eat out there only one more time during our cruise as it was a little cold for my GF.

SO I dont recommend going to the Doghouse for lunch on Embarkation day as they the warming tables are turned off from the previous night and the sasauge was barely warm. I was very dissapointed. We fed part of the sausage to the seagull that was hanging around on the railing and it seemed to enjoy it.

I will say the week the sausages were better when they were hot.

We walked around and looked at Rita's and Izumi. I liked what they did with the area. Izumi has a nice feel to it. Definatly an improvement. We did dine hear later in the week.

Rita's ( Rumored to be Margaritaville in the future) I think would have been nicer if they had closed off the back of it. Not sure if they were expecting more pax to eat there. It really didnt get used much during the week They did not have any Margarita specials or even the Ritas fiesta. So we did not try.

I wish they had put Samba where Ritas is and left Seaview cafe alone,

Its now 1pm time to go to our cabin

Amen! We went on our "likely to be the only time ever", and we are headed back full steam again 7/6/12 for two weeks land and cruise!

L.J.

We are going on our first AK cruise on the Radiance NB in August. We can not wait to read your experiences. Thanks in advance!

Hey there - what date do you leave?? My hubby and I are on the sailing on the 3rd August - can't wait!!!:p

So off to our cabin....... We walk down one deck and almost all the way aft, corner portside, to obstructed view JS1098.

We had upgraded a few weeks from sail date. There were running Military discount so paid a couple hundred more pp than our E1 we had. I thought great price. We knew we were going to use our cabin alot as we wernt traveling with a group or family.

Normally book a cabin closer to midship but Ive read(on CC) that the other JS' that were available were under the galley and WJ and would hear early morning noise.

And anyone that knows my GF, knows she is not an early morning person, on vacation;)

Cabin..... our first JS on Radiance class, great size, a little smaller than Voyager class.

I think the perfect size for a cruise as its about the same size as a standard hotel room but with a smaller bathroom.

While a balcony is a must for us and we thoroughly enjoyed the larger space of the JS. if it wasnt fior the great price we would have been content in an E1.

Im not sure they re-did anything in the cabin besides maybe staining the cabinet doors a little darker. Also adding the flat panel TV

Now the bathroom looks like new tile and countertops. Its a good look

The Balcony was huge, it extends into the hull about another 4-5ft past the width of the cabin. It had a lounger, a table and 2 chairs. We would spend many hours on our balcony.

I was even able to take a nap another day, first time on a RCCl ship ive napped on the balcony.

My only real complaint about the room was the size of the safe. It was a smaller safe than what Ive seen in other cabins.

I had to seperate my big camera lens from the camera body to be able to store it. When I had my smaller lens it was fine. So it was maybe 9-10" wide.

I actually missed a great shot of a hawk on our balcony railing, during the inside passage, due to me having to put my camera together:(

Next off to explore the ship, make appts and sailaway

Archived