Dinner in MDR worth $77?

dsotm73

I dont think it is worth more than about $10 which I could pay at Applebees or similar.

But the service is worth a extra tip, because the MDR is nicer to eat in atmosphere wise.

Seriously???

Where can you get a Ceasar salad, 2nd appetizer, a chicken breast (not to mention Lobster tail, steak, or any of the shrimp dishes), and a nice dessert, with coffee for $10.00?

In one of the thrice-daily threads on tipping (not sure why I read every one), a poster made the off-hand comment that the $11.50 daily suggested tip

"wouldn't cover a 15% tip on what you'd pay on land for your dinner in the MDR."

Being an analyst by trade and reasonably good with 'rithmetic, I was able to calculate that the poster is saying you would pay $76.67 for an equivalent meal on land. Plus the tip, which was the impetus of her statement.

I know this is going to vary from region to region, but down this way $77 per person (pre-tip, pre-tax) would buy a meal at the best restaurants in the area. But what do you think? How much would you pay for an MDR-equivalent dinner on land?

Yeah, I know your tip covers more than just dinner in the MDR. Answer the question anyway.

:p

Your tip does covers more than the MDR...it also includes your Room Steward services.

So........11.50 / 2 (for MDR and Steward) = 5.75 each.

5.75 / .15 = 38.33 for the MDR hypothetical meal.

I don't think it has anything to do with her logic. Perhaps she places higher value on the MDR dinner than the majority here. Or maybe she's just bad at math.

:D

An analyst, or consultant is an unemployed_________________(fill in the blank)

You confused me :eek: too much thinking.

I just simply want to point out that a Cubs fan (Wrigley reference in name) didn't understand the question, not surprising !

Sorry just poking fun at one of my northern IL neighbors (Illinois side of St.Louis, and WORLD CHAMPION ST LOUIS CARDINALS)

I just simply want to point out that a Cubs fan (Wrigley reference in name) didn't understand the question, not surprising !

Sorry just poking fun at one of my northern IL neighbors (Illinois side of St.Louis, and WORLD CHAMPION ST LOUIS CARDINALS)

Braves fan here to say "You're welcome"

WOW, really, you get a 4 course meal at Applebees for $10????? Wonder how they stay in business.:rolleyes:

I think they do. Applebees advertises 2 for $20. App, meal and dessert. I think their food is much better that most MDR's lately. I think probably 15-20 dollars per person would be the equivelant dis. We have a place here in Tucson called the Blue Fin that has full lobster dinners for $20.00 inluding app. I am not sure about dessert, but being diabetic I seldom eat the dessert.

Btw, another question that relates. Why should we tip more for a resturant that charges $30.00 for a meal that we do a place like Chili's or Applebee's that charge $15.00, They do the same work. Service is not necessarily better. Just wondering.

you are all putting prices on one meal but the fact of the matter is it might be applebees quality as some pointed out but its all you can eat. Have one appetizer, 2, 3... have 2 entrees.. have 3 deserts.. still the same price..

So it would be very hard. Its better then an all you can eat buffet which will run $25 dollars give or take

You have the opportunity to try a food.. not like it and try something different and have seconds of the thing you like. I dont think applebees does that.

like it or not they also do a sorta show at dinner.

way too many variables to put a cost on in my opinion

I have always wished they would just add the tips etc in the final price so when you pay its over no more thinking about it. Prepaid tips dont work for me either because I had them twice and they charge tips AGAIN both times. *sigh* would just be easier to have one price and leave it that way EVEN TAXES!

For instance if its a total of 1200 after tips and taxes then that is the price I wish would show up in my search!

Ok what the Chicago train goes southwest and the Arizona train goes northeast?:D

Would never happen. From Chicago to go south you need to back track to the east somewhere. It use to be washington DC, then through NO and come to the west.:D:D

So the Train from Arizona would already be at its destination.:D

Then there would always be the stop at the Mississippi River to check visa's and passports to make sure there was not any illegal immagration of people from NYC.:D:D

Seriously???

Where can you get a Ceasar salad, 2nd appetizer, a chicken breast (not to mention Lobster tail, steak, or any of the shrimp dishes), and a nice dessert, with coffee for $10.00?

Carnivals food was about equal to The local hospitals cafeteria. Nothing to write home about thats for sure but it gets the job done.

In one of the thrice-daily threads on tipping (not sure why I read every one), a poster made the off-hand comment that the $11.50 daily suggested tip

"wouldn't cover a 15% tip on what you'd pay on land for your dinner in the MDR."

Being an analyst by trade and reasonably good with 'rithmetic, I was able to calculate that the poster is saying you would pay $76.67 for an equivalent meal on land. Plus the tip, which was the impetus of her statement.

I know this is going to vary from region to region, but down this way $77 per person (pre-tip, pre-tax) would buy a meal at the best restaurants in the area. But what do you think? How much would you pay for an MDR-equivalent dinner on land?

Yeah, I know your tip covers more than just dinner in the MDR. Answer the question anyway.

Although your question is a bit hard to follow I think I get the gist and my answer is yes...

I live in Dallas, TX and although I wouldn't consider MDR 5 star dining, a restaurant of comparable quality here would easily run $55/person (warranting a 20% tip) if you ordered APPETIZER, ENTREE, DESSERT, DRINK (Never mind coffee or ordering 2 of something!!!)

Even at Applebee's (which seems to be the most commonly quoted restaurant, although I would rank it lower than MDR) you can't get that amount of food and drink for less than that...desserts alone at most restaurants are $5-$10 and drinks are easily $2-$4 here.

I'm excluding the "2 eat for $--" deals as I think it's appropriate to price things out per person in this scenario.

You also get entertainment for the price! :O :P

I live in Dallas, TX and although I wouldn't consider MDR 5 star dining, a restaurant of comparable quality here would easily run $55/person (warranting a 20% tip) if you ordered APPETIZER, ENTREE, DESSERT, DRINK (Never mind coffee or ordering 2 of something!!!)

I concur. For the other Dallasite that claimed they could get a comparable meal for $18-22, I do not think they were including drinks and dessert. I eat out almost every night I have never found a comparable meal out here to be that cheap.

As far as saying the quality is like Applebee's....I'm not so sure about that either. I consider Applebee's to be just a notch above fast food.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

As far as saying the quality is like Applebee's....I'm not so sure about that either. I consider Applebee's to be just a notch above fast food.

Well I guess for some that is what they consider "fine" dining and it's all they have to compare it to! :D

Well I guess for some that is what they consider "fine" dining and it's all they have to compare it to! :D

Or some of us know what fine dining is, and the MDR is most certainly not.

I'd compare it to Ruby Tuesday, FWIW.

I'm one who's compared it to Applebee's, and I think that's a fair comparison. I definitely know what fine dining is and agree with paintballed that the main dining room is certainly not fine dining.

I also feel the food in the main dining room is really good considering the sheer volume of meals they serve every evening. I don't have complaints about the food, but I don't try to fool myself into thinking it's fine dining.

If I were to go to pretty much any restaurant in my area, I could get a low-end steak meal (not prime rib or filet) for around $10.00. I will be generous and assume they include a salad with the meal. Add in an appetizer for $4.00, a drink for $2.00 and a dessert for $4.00 and I'm already at $20.00 before I add the sales tax of 7%. This bill would get a $5-6 tip from me.

For breakfast, even if you do the buffet at Golden Corral, it's still $8-9 a person, which would result in a $2.00 tip from me.

For lunch, you couldn't eat ANYWHERE except fast food for less than $10.00 pp (which wouldn't include salad and dessert, just a sandwich and drink). That would be a minimum of $2.00 tip.

I'm up to $9.00 and I haven't even tipped the housekeeper yet (we usually leave $5.00/night when staying in a hotel). Based on our usual standards in a hotel, we're right at the $11.50/pp tip amount, and that's not taking into considertation that I COULD have linens and fine china at most of my meals (something you won't find at Applebees', Golden Corral or Ruby Tuesday) or the fact that 3-4 of the 7 nights I'm eating Prime Rib, Filet Mignon, Shrimp, or Lobster Tail, all which would drive up the price of my meal and therefor my tip.

This is my take on the tipping debate. I have never had a problem with the tipping and still don't. We usually leave extra for exemplary service, which has been most times. I have NEVER understood the problem some people have with tipping. If you don't want to provide a gratuity, you should stay home, make your own bed, and either cook your own meals or go to McDonalds or Burger King.

I'm one who's compared it to Applebee's, and I think that's a fair comparison. I definitely know what fine dining is and agree with paintballed that the main dining room is certainly not fine dining.

I also feel the food in the main dining room is really good considering the sheer volume of meals they serve every evening. I don't have complaints about the food, but I don't try to fool myself into thinking it's fine dining.

I agree with you that the MDR is not fine dining, but I think it is a step up from Applebees and Ruby Tuesday.

I have never gone into either where I was sat at a table with linens and served on china (think riblet basket, which actually comes in a plastic basket). I have never been able to come up with a restaurant that quite fits the bill of the MDR, with it's nice ambience and standard food. I think I would compare it to a nice wedding reception, where the menu changes each evening.

I agree with you that the MDR is not fine dining, but I think it is a step up from Applebees and Ruby Tuesday.

I have never gone into either where I was sat at a table with linens and served on china (think riblet basket, which actually comes in a plastic basket). I have never been able to come up with a restaurant that quite fits the bill of the MDR, with it's nice ambience and standard food. I think I would compare it to a nice wedding reception, where the menu changes each evening.

I think this is where I was trying to go with my "not Applebee's" statement. Thank you for helping me explain it further.

I dont think it is worth more than about $10 which I could pay at Applebees or similar.

But the service is worth a extra tip, because the MDR is nicer to eat in atmosphere wise.

You can get a 3 or 4 course meal that can include unlimited lobster tails, filet of beef, prime rib,etc. for $10 at your local Applebee's ?? :eek: It's $2.50 for just a glass of iced tea at my Applebee's ! LOL !!

Yesterday at California Pizza kitchen I paid $7.95 for my appetizer, $14 for a personal size pizza, and $7.95 for my dessert- and if I wanted 2nds I would have paid for them too.

I would consider $40 a person a bargain if I was paying in MDR where servings and choices are unlimited. No it's certainly not "fine dining" but far superior to Applebee's in MHO.

Regardless, this isn't about the tips. I'm asking what you think dinner in the MDR is worth.
It's worth $247.63 -because my wife doesn't have to cook it

and it 'comes to us'. Hard to beat value, huh? ;)

Depending upon the night and also the menu items in question, the amount I would "pay" would vary greatly for a meal in the MDR...As an example, surf and turf, traditionally is more expensive, than penne pasta with a white sauce (salads, sides, etc included). Quality of food provided is important as well. In addition, we take into consideration the type of service we received from the wait staff. Great service equates to a larger gratuity....Poor service equates to less. I would imagine "most meals" in the MDR menu, would not necessarily reach the $77 per person threshold (not withstanding alcoholic or carbonated beverages added in).

If memory serves me, a cruiser can still request to have certain gratuities removed for poor service, on a case by case basis. That is something each person must decide upon.

Now as to the "meat of your question."...We have eaten in the steakhouse on the Spirit on several occasions...The quality of the meals and service was extraordinary (for $30 per person).....In California, those prices would have probably exceeded $75 - $100 per person, dependent upon what was ordered, and the city/venue/restaurant (and of course subsequent quality of fare and service provided). We generously tipped our wait staff on the Spirit for their attentiveness and attention to detail, because they DESERVED it...as well as the kitchen staff who prepared the meal.

We cannot address the new "chef's table" menu or quality of service, because we have not yet experienced it.

I think the MDR is equivalent to a nice meal in a good restaurant. Maybe not fine dining, but definitely way above the "casual" restaurants in the Applebees, Chilis etc class. At the the two "upscale" ( not fine dining) restaurants in our town of 15,000, a dinner for two is between $55 and $65 for appetizer, salad, entree, desert and coffee. I would tip $10 - $15 for a meal like this. Cocktails or beer would average an additional $4 - 8 a piece.

Archived