Dinner in MDR worth $77?

dsotm73

Would never happen. From Chicago to go south you need to back track to the east somewhere. It use to be washington DC, then through NO and come to the west.:D:D

So the Train from Arizona would already be at its destination.:D

Then there would always be the stop at the Mississippi River to check visa's and passports to make sure there was not any illegal immagration of people from NYC.:D:D

I think I will drive then.

Totally depends what you order. I dont eat seafood, or steak much. So no lobster, shrimp, or prime rib. Normally its at least a 20 dollar bill to eat out anywhere anywhere including tip. On the ship I would put a 30 dollar pp, not including certain meals price tag on it.

Lets see, small steak, not a lot of side items, salads are small, (yeah i can get seconds but i dont eat that way most of the time)-i would pay between 12 and 15. The lobsters are even too small to have left their moms....

Seriously? Then just focus carefully and answer this question:

How much would you pay for an MDR-equivalent dinner on land?

I even went back and highlighted it in the OP for clarity.

Well, considering you can order as much as you would like of any or all of the options on the menu, I would say YES. :)

If you're talking about one item from each option, then probably not. Probably closer to $25-30 a person then.

In one of the thrice-daily threads on tipping (not sure why I read every one), a poster made the off-hand comment that the $11.50 daily suggested tip

"wouldn't cover a 15% tip on what you'd pay on land for your dinner in the MDR."

Being an analyst by trade and reasonably good with 'rithmetic, I was able to calculate that the poster is saying you would pay $76.67 for an equivalent meal on land. Plus the tip, which was the impetus of her statement.

I know this is going to vary from region to region, but down this way $77 per person (pre-tip, pre-tax) would buy a meal at the best restaurants in the area. But what do you think? How much would you pay for an MDR-equivalent dinner on land?

Yeah, I know your tip covers more than just dinner in the MDR. Answer the question anyway.

:p

The whole quote and the question you ask are meaningless, because they fail to cover one basic condition: you are not at home. A more meaningful question would be how much would you pay at a resort in the same area as the cruise?

Enjoy

Ron

The whole quote and the question you ask are meaningless, because they fail to cover one basic condition: you are not at home. A more meaningful question would be how much would you pay at a resort in the same area as the cruise?

Enjoy

Ron

Well if you were leaving from Ft Lauderdale it would probably be cheaper than many of the prices you guys are quoting. We have a lot of "deals" and bargains here :D

In one of the thrice-daily threads on tipping (not sure why I read every one), a poster made the off-hand comment that the $11.50 daily suggested tip

"wouldn't cover a 15% tip on what you'd pay on land for your dinner in the MDR."

Being an analyst by trade and reasonably good with 'rithmetic, I was able to calculate that the poster is saying you would pay $76.67 for an equivalent meal on land. Plus the tip, which was the impetus of her statement.

I know this is going to vary from region to region, but down this way $77 per person (pre-tip, pre-tax) would buy a meal at the best restaurants in the area. But what do you think? How much would you pay for an MDR-equivalent dinner on land?

Yeah, I know your tip covers more than just dinner in the MDR. Answer the question anyway.

doesn't matter the equivelant at retail. It's the cost that matters.

i will have to look around, but i think the total cost per passenger for meals is something like $6 a day. i do forget the source.

and you are not paying real estate for food like you do on land.

I have not read everyone's responses.

If it was me, I say it depends upon how much I eat. The nice thing about this is that you can order ANYTHING on the menu, and have it.:) As for me, sometimes there are things on the menu I want, and sometimes not, but I always find something to eat. For me, probably $30 - 40$, this would include the tip also. I don't eat at HIGH PRICE restaurants, unless it is a very special occassion.

doesn't matter the equivelant at retail. It's the cost that matters.

i will have to look around, but i think the total cost per passenger for meals is something like $6 a day. i do forget the source.

and you are not paying real estate for food like you do on land.

Wow...you are one cheapskate cruiser....no offense...but please show me anywhere in the USA or elsewhere, where you can eat on six dollars a day...given the venues you are provided...I spent 22 yrs in the military and Meals Ready to Eat (MRE's) are more expensive than that...lol

You also have to factor in prep time, atmosphere, etc...granted not all meals are perfect. However, collectively, they are worth far more that the collective $6.00 a day you indicate. We can buy a five dollar footlong Subway sandwich and a bottle of waterfor one meal , and spend more than what you are claiming for a 24 hour period ot time...Your data is a wee be skewed we think.

Wow...you are one cheapskate cruiser....no offense...but please show me anywhere in the USA or elsewhere, where you can eat on six dollars a day...given the venues you are provided...I spent 22 yrs in the military and Meals Ready to Eat (MRE's) are more expensive than that...lol

you seem to be confusing wholesale and retail. :rolleyes:

Not to offend anyone but those who think CCL MDR is "fine" dining...you need to go to better estiblishments.

Let me get the Denny`s menu and get back to you on how much I think it costs

Sorry..... used to not have this opinion but my last cruise really didn`t find the MDR to be good at all...

Yes Applebee`s would be a better choice

I would pay $15 to $20 pp, max. The ambience may be "Wedding Reception", but the MDR food quality (lately) is closer to "Denny's" and "Red Lobster". The seafood quality doesn't even measure up to "Joe's Crab Shack's" low standards.

you seem to be confusing wholesale and retail. :rolleyes:

Just comparing food in general...lol...been to too many obscure places in the world through military...bugs and worms, et al versus mdr...LOL...(a bizarre food moment)...

Just comparing food in general...lol...been to too many obscure places in the world through military...bugs and worms, et al versus mdr...LOL...(a bizarre food moment)...

hopefully, the bugs and worms were at no added cost.

hopefully, the bugs and worms were at no added cost.

LOL furtunately they were free.,, The MRE's cost us a months rations...LOL (yes we had to PAY for them) go figure...

At any rate we cruise to have FUN, we try and find food to our liking...We tend to troll around the ships. We do like the steakhouses though.

I think many of the values in this thread are unreasonably low. I live in Washington, DC, an expensive area and routinely dine at all manner of restaurants from fine dining (upwards of $100 or $150pp) to fast food. I think comparing the food in the main dining room to Applebee's is preposterous. I may be biased though as I find Applebee's to be at the bottom end of "family" restaurant chains -- TGI Friday's, Ruby Tuesday's, etc. While I don't mind the food at Ruby Tuesday's, I still think the food in the MDR--setting aside the much better experience--is generally, though not always, better than what I could get at anything in the class of restaurant.

I would put the MDR in the same category as The Cheesecake Factory--a large food hall with an "upscale" feel and vast menu. The food is good to very good and a step-up from "family" chains, but it's not truly fine dining or even upscale dining. Certainly there are any number of much better restaurants in DC. That said, based on my experiences at The Cheesecake Factory, I would estimate a per person bill of $35-50 for an appetizer, soup or salad, entree, dessert, and coffee. Certainly, portions at The Cheesecake Factory are much larger, but given that you can order two of anything in the MDR, I don't think that should be taken into the value comparison.

For those who think $10-15 is reasonable, I'm curious where you live. My wife and I can't get out of anyplace other than fast food for that much--usually without dessert and certainly not with an appetizer per person (as opposed to sharing one). We can spend $10 per person at Panera or Chipotle if we get a soda (which admittedly, is not included at the MDR, but tea is and is not generally at land-based restaurants).

My back of the envelope 2 cents in pesos:

Split the $11.50 1/2 to room steward, et.al., 1/2 to dining. No tips for buffet/Lido deck/deli, etc. Thus $5.75 is tip to MDR evening meal. @ 15% that's $38.33 as cost of meal... Much more in line with mid-level chains and banquet meals at decent hotels. (Applebee's, BTW, is pretty far down the list, IMO).

My back of the envelope 2 cents in pesos:

Split the $11.50 1/2 to room steward, et.al., 1/2 to dining. No tips for buffet/Lido deck/deli, etc. Thus $5.75 is tip to MDR evening meal. @ 15% that's $38.33 as cost of meal... Much more in line with mid-level chains and banquet meals at decent hotels. (Applebee's, BTW, is pretty far down the list, IMO).

that daily tip is for three service meals, whether you use them or not.

I think many of the values in this thread are unreasonably low. I live in Washington, DC, an expensive area and routinely dine at all manner of restaurants from fine dining (upwards of $100 or $150pp) to fast food. I think comparing the food in the main dining room to Applebee's is preposterous. I may be biased though as I find Applebee's to be at the bottom end of "family" restaurant chains -- TGI Friday's, Ruby Tuesday's, etc. While I don't mind the food at Ruby Tuesday's, I still think the food in the MDR--setting aside the much better experience--is generally, though not always, better than what I could get at anything in the class of restaurant.

I would put the MDR in the same category as The Cheesecake Factory--a large food hall with an "upscale" feel and vast menu. The food is good to very good and a step-up from "family" chains, but it's not truly fine dining or even upscale dining. Certainly there are any number of much better restaurants in DC. That said, based on my experiences at The Cheesecake Factory, I would estimate a per person bill of $35-50 for an appetizer, soup or salad, entree, dessert, and coffee. Certainly, portions at The Cheesecake Factory are much larger, but given that you can order two of anything in the MDR, I don't think that should be taken into the value comparison.

For those who think $10-15 is reasonable, I'm curious where you live. My wife and I can't get out of anyplace other than fast food for that much--usually without dessert and certainly not with an appetizer per person (as opposed to sharing one). We can spend $10 per person at Panera or Chipotle if we get a soda (which admittedly, is not included at the MDR, but tea is and is not generally at land-based restaurants).

Thank You,

There you go...location, location, location...that is what it is all about...just like property, a quarter acre postage stamp on the central coast of CA (where we live) will run you about 500,000 to $750,000 or more.... a quarter acre in the midwest may be $75,000....and then agian maybe a $1,000,000 on the east coast..depending upon where it is....everything is relative. It is all about what you make it.

Thank You,

There you go...location, location, location...that is what it is all about...just like property, a quarter acre postage stamp on the central coast of CA (where we live) will run you about 500,000 to $750,000 or more.... a quarter acre in the midwest may be $75,000....and then agian maybe a $1,000,000 on the east coast..depending upon where it is....everything is relative. It is all about what you make it.

And the bugs and worms are free..lol

Three years ago I would have agreed with you. When was your last Carnival cruise, 2009? (based on your sig) Things have changed a LOT in the past few years.

Hmmm.....the one thing that sticks out in my mind regarding the OP's initial question is that he knowingly based his question on a flawed post by someone else. Kind of hard to give an answer that would be acceptable in this case.

Three years ago I would have agreed with you. When was your last Carnival cruise, 2009? (based on your sig) Things have changed a LOT in the past few years.

That's certainly possible. I'll let you know when we get back off of Carnival in September. That's based on our 2009 cruise. It'd give somewhat higher value to the MDR meals on our Princess cruise in 2010 (probably about $10 more per meal per person) and the same for our Celebrity cruise in 2009. I don't think I'd pay more than Denny's prices for the meals we had on NCL. They were generally dreadful.

Archived