Dinner in MDR worth $77?

dsotm73

For Dinner:

Appetizer $6

Entree: $14

Dessert: $4

coffee: $2

Don't forget that some people order more than 1...........

I think this would be pretty close. Maybe add a couple more bucks for the entree.

But it might mean you didn't read the whole OP which contained this line:

"Yeah, I know your tip covers more than just dinner in the MDR. Answer the question anyway."

It also might mean that your question is totally flawed. Being an analyst too, I know that you have to ask a valid question to get a valid answer. You can't manipulate the data that is not factual to come with a ridiculous total to be sensational.

You are saying you know the tips cover more than dinner. Then pull out the value of the tip for just a single meal, on a single day, then multiple by the number of guests and your answer will be valid.

$3.50/3 x 4= $4.60 tip for 4 people/per meal means your meal value, at a 20% tip = $23.00

Well from what I experienced, about $10-25 per main course (depends on what it is: pasta at the low end, chicken in mid-low, steak in mid-high, and of course the lobster!), about $5-10 per appetizer, similar for dessert... And on any typical night I would get maybe two appetizers, one or two main courses, and a dessert...

Easily $40 a person each night. So $8 tip at 20%. And if the service was excellent, which it was every night of the cruise, I wouldn't mind throwing a little bit more.

It also might mean that your question is totally flawed. Being an analyst too, I know that you have to ask a valid question to get a valid answer. You can't manipulate the data that is not factual to come with a ridiculous total to be sensational.

You are saying you know the tips cover more than dinner. Then pull out the value of the tip for just a single meal, on a single day, then multiple by the number of guests and your answer will be valid.

$3.50/3 x 4= $4.60 tip for 4 people/per meal means your meal value, at a 20% tip = $23.00

There is nothing flawed about my question. Indeed, you don't even address my question in your post. My question is:

How much would you pay for an MDR-equivalent dinner on land?

What you are calling flawed is your mis-read of the supposition by the poster that I quoted from the other thread, that the $11.50 daily suggested tip

"wouldn't cover a 15% tip on what you'd pay on land for your dinner in the MDR.". What she is saying is that even if the entire $11.50 was just for the dinner tip, it wouldn't cover 15% of the value of the dinner. Nowhere is anyone saying that the $11.50 is a tip just for dinner. Again, in my OP I point that out:

"Yeah, I know your tip covers more than just dinner in the MDR. Answer the question anyway."

and use her supposition only as a starting point valuation for the discussion.

A steak from the dining room is NOT worth $25. I can't think of anything in there that I'd pay $25 for, to be honest.

Is it a good meal? Absolutely.

I'd put the value (per person) at about $25 or so total.

Totally agree with this. I can't believe some of you value the meal in the MDR at $60?! Just this past weekend one of the meals I had was a salad, roll, some kind of baked chicken, a thimble of mac-n-cheese, extra veggies we ordered and WCMC. There is no way I would even pay $15 for a meal like that. Honestly, it wasn't anything I can't get at a local diner or Denny's.

Now, I understand some nights are lobster and shrimp and that would be different. But these menus have fried chicken and meatloaf on them. I don't think the food was bad by any means, but it's certainly not $50 worth.

In my area an appetizer would run $4-$10, an entree $10-$25 and a dessert $4-$7. A coffee or tea $2-3. So roughly the mid 20's to over 50 per person depending on what you order. I think for the price that I pay for a CCL cruise the food is good.The tips are reasonable and I just wish they made them a mandatory surcharge.

I understand what you are asking and I can only say the person that originally said this has flawed logic.

I don't think it has anything to do with her logic. Perhaps she places higher value on the MDR dinner than the majority here. Or maybe she's just bad at math.

:D

Man ....you guys eat at some cheap places...easily $35 to 40 on average

If you're paying $35 or $40 for the same quality, we're not eating at cheap places, you're getting fleeced.

Your number insinuates the entree is worth $25-$30 on its own.

What entree on the menu is worth that?

My take, based on restaurants in the greater Tucson area.

Appetizer $6-9.95

Salad Course $5-7.95

Entree with veggies $14-22.95

Dessert $6-11.95

Ice Tea or Soft Drink $2-$4.95

So a total of $30-50

Add lobster or surf &turf Add $12.00

34 posts, 770 views. Seems the overwhelming majority decline to answer your question.

A quick analysis tells me that's not particularly out of line with the view-to-post ratio on most threads on the front page. You have a point you're trying to make?

If I may...I believe the OP is quoting another poster who believes that people should not gripe about tipping 11.50 per day for all services rendered. In other words, that poster believes that 11.50 a day is a bargain for all services rendered and that, if you went to a land based restaurant of equal caliber, you'd pay more than 11.50 just for the tip on dinner.

The OP of this thread doesn't care about the tip. They just want to know what you would pay for an equivalent dinner on land.

I'm not sure if the OP is asking what an equivalent dinner would cost in your area or what you'd be willing to pay.

OP, correct me if I'm wrong.

A quick analysis tells me that's not particularly out of line with the view-to-post ratio on most threads on the front page. You have a point you're trying to make?

No, not me, but rock on, OP, that's what I say! I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your provocative question and all your subsequent responses and I'm sure I'm not the only one!

If a train leaves Chicago and is heading west going 60 mph and another train leaves Arizona going 50 mph heading east, at what point will they intersect?

Bill

They'll never intersect as Arizona and Chicago aren't at the same latitude.

No, not me, but rock on, OP, that's what I say! I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your provocative question and all your subsequent responses and I'm sure I'm not the only one!

Glad you enjoyed! Just doing what I can to pass a Saturday night, since i don't sail for 35 days.

If a train leaves Chicago and is heading west going 60 mph and another train leaves Arizona going 50 mph heading east, at what point will they intersect?

Bill

They'll never intersect as Arizona and Chicago aren't at the same latitude.

Ok what the Chicago train goes southwest and the Arizona train goes northeast?:rolleyes::D

In one of the thrice-daily threads on tipping (not sure why I read every one), a poster made the off-hand comment that the $11.50 daily suggested tip

"wouldn't cover a 15% tip on what you'd pay on land for your dinner in the MDR."

Being an analyst by trade and reasonably good with 'rithmetic, I was able to calculate that the poster is saying you would pay $76.67 for an equivalent meal on land. Plus the tip, which was the impetus of her statement.

I know this is going to vary from region to region, but down this way $77 per person (pre-tip, pre-tax) would buy a meal at the best restaurants in the area. But what do you think? How much would you pay for an MDR-equivalent dinner on land?

Yeah, I know your tip covers more than just dinner in the MDR. Answer the question anyway.

:p

To answer you question I could get an equivalent quality/quantity meal here just north of Dallas for $18-22.

Archived