Attire in Polo and other Speciality Restaurants?

heliman

"Dress shoes" is pretty vague, but the rule is no sandals or flip-flops, and tennis shoes are not very appropriate, but loafers, or nice boating shoes (I have some I would only wear on my own boat!), etc. are fine. Wingtips, etc., are not necessary.

What if a person has bad feet, does he still have to wear dress shoes or can he wear something more comfortable ?

JIM

You can actually get dress shoes that fit and feel good. Even more so for casual/semi-dress shoes. I see no excuse for wearing traditional Crocs or house shoes to dinner.

BTW, I'm a real casual dresser, so I'm in no way part of the fashion police.

Wait, wait... I have an excuse for wearing crocs. I cannot walk in or fit into any other pair of shoes. In fact, I wear a child's size, my feet are so crippled. It's a blessing that I found these ugly little shoes, or else I would be wheelchair bound. Mine are a beige color or black, not neon bright. No one complained when I went to dinner in a specialty restaurant. Perhaps my limp warned them off. My attire is spot on in every other respect. Also, I have the rx model crocs, no holes. Yes they are ugly, I'll grant you that. I love them.

Wait, wait... I have an excuse for wearing crocs. I cannot walk in or fit into any other pair of shoes. In fact, I wear a child's size, my feet are so crippled. It's a blessing that I found these ugly little shoes, or else I would be wheelchair bound. Mine are a beige color or black, not neon bright. No one complained when I went to dinner in a specialty restaurant. Perhaps my limp warned them off. My attire is spot on in every other respect. Also, I have the rx model crocs, no holes. Yes they are ugly, I'll grant you that. I love them.

A quiet word with the Maitre 'd about your situation and there will be no problem -- only nexessary if you are questioned. I find they are more toloerant of footwear when the rest of the attire is, as you say, spot on. It would be hard to picture someone who is careful about their dress wearing beach flip flops or neon crocs.

This is our first trip on Oceania. I hope our patterned Tommy Bahama silk shirts and slacks fit "country club casual..." Some are silk screened and some are embroidered...:p They are worn outside and not "tucked in." As many of you are aware they run between $100 - $150 a piece and should be sufficient. :) We are also going to bring one jacket each for the specialty restaurants and no ties..

Happy Sailing...

Not looking for trouble here, but if you use the word "slacks" for male attire, then you are most likely of an age and mindset that you will probably appreciate having the option of wearing a jacket at some point around the ship. :p

This is our first trip on Oceania. I hope our patterned Tommy Bahama silk shirts and slacks fit "country club casual..." Some are silk screened and some are embroidered...:p They are worn outside and not "tucked in." As many of you are aware they run between $100 - $150 a piece and should be sufficient. :) We are also going to bring one jacket each for the specialty restaurants and no ties..

Happy Sailing...

It is not the cost of the clothing that makes it appropriate ;)

Jeans can cost double that but are still not allowed in the dining venues for dinner ;)

That said I have seen your style of shirts in the dining venues for dinner

Enjoy

Not looking for trouble here, but if you use the word "slacks" for male attire, then you are most likely of an age and mindset that you will probably appreciate having the option of wearing a jacket at some point around the ship. :p

Jim and Stan - I guess I have been living in FL too long - listening to those "Jacks For Slacks" commercials..:) I am under 55... I guess you can remember when a "thong" was a flip flop...:D I only heard about it...

It is not the cost of the clothing that makes it appropriate ;)

That said I have seen your style of shirts in the dining venues for dinner

Enjoy

LHT28 - I only stated the price, as I have seen people with some pretty cheesey "tucked in shirts" and pants (better than slacks; hopefully Jim and Stan approve the terminology :p) I would hate to be excluded from the dining room because of my choice of attire.

Thank you for letting me know it is acceptable... :)

My DH wears his Tommy Bahama shirts and khaki style slacks to the O dining rooms and never felt uncomfortable. And even though he is "of an age" he's quite happy to leave the jacket at home unless we are in a colder climate. Unfortunately, country club casual seems to mean different things in different locations and this can add to the confusion. We've lived on the west coast and thereabouts and now in Texas and wearing shorts to even fancier and nicer restaurants is pretty darn normal for the places we've lived.

My DH wears his Tommy Bahama shirts and khaki style slacks to the O dining rooms and never felt uncomfortable. And even though he is "of an age" he's quite happy to leave the jacket at home unless we are in a colder climate. Unfortunately, country club casual seems to mean different things in different locations and this can add to the confusion. We've lived on the west coast and thereabouts and now in Texas and wearing shorts to even fancier and nicer restaurants is pretty darn normal for the places we've lived.

nparmelee - Thank you so much for your repsonse. Country club casual can mean different things in different areas of the country. By the way, you used the dreaded "slacks" word; watch out for the "terminology police" Jim and Stan...:p

We were once in Paris and had lunch reservations in the Eifel Tower at the Jules Verne Restaurant and they would not let us in with dress shorts and polo shirts. It was 85 degrees outside and we were touring. We learned of another restaurant at the other corner of the Tower and had a wonderful lunch; they were happy to have us and it included admission to the Tower. :)

Gee, I hope my husband's non-TB shirts will be okay! :p (Wouldn't pay that for a shirt, sorry.)

Quality is always worth it, just like in the choice of a cruise line.

I have 10 year old Tommy & Nat Nast shirts that look brand new. I have 1 yr old Kolhs or Target shirts that are ready for the garbage heap.

The most important factor though is how they look and feel. There is simply no comparison.

But to answer your question, any nice shirt will be fine.

Gee, I hope my husband's non-TB shirts will be okay! :p (Wouldn't pay that for a shirt, sorry.)

Wendy The Wanderer - Neither would I - I never pay retail. The key is to get the really good clothing at inexpensive prices. :p TB and Polo last forever. Between the sales and the coupons, you can dress well for less... a lot less...:)

Quality is always worth it, just like in the choice of a cruise line.

I have 10 year old Tommy & Nat Nast shirts that look brand new. I have 1 yr old Kolhs or Target shirts that are ready for the garbage heap.

The most important factor though is how they look and feel. There is simply no comparison.

But to answer your question, any nice shirt will be fine.

ORV - You read my mind as I was writing my last post... I had some of my favorite RL Polo shirts that were still looking good, but were ready to go to the Salvation Army. Some were 10-15 years old - and they practically looked as good as the day I bought them.

Quality does count. With our savings (through slaes and coupons :)) we can now go on our TA to Europe on Oceania this summer (in 2 days) - Ha!!:p

As times change, so does our vocabulary-

Remember when Spanks were a punishment for errant children?

If you want to feel young again, yet strangely older, watch this clip:

Thanks for posting this great video. I am old enough to appreciate the vocabulary, musical genius and humor of this great duo.

Archived