Flying into Barcelona from U.S.

cruisue

Have booked our air through Carnival. The cruise begins in Barcelona on Sept 7--5 p.m. sailing. Does anyone have any experience as to what the "normal" time is that you get to Barcelona when you have booked through the cruise line? It looks like the planes that leave from Boston will arrive the following day in Barcelona. So, I'm thinking we will probably leave Boston on Sept 6 and hopefully arrive in the a.m. in Barcelona--this would give us some time to look around. How far ahead have you received your flight information from Carnival?

Have booked our air through Carnival. The cruise begins in Barcelona on Sept 7--5 p.m. sailing. Does anyone have any experience as to what the "normal" time is that you get to Barcelona when you have booked through the cruise line? It looks like the planes that leave from Boston will arrive the following day in Barcelona. So, I'm thinking we will probably leave Boston on Sept 6 and hopefully arrive in the a.m. in Barcelona--this would give us some time to look around. How far ahead have you received your flight information from Carnival?
Maybe you've never done it but...

flying East on a red-eye, all thru the night

leaves you feeling like a freakin Zombie at the other end! :eek:

Unless you're one of the lucky folks who can sleep on a plane

you'll probably spend arrival day in Barcelona trying to get your inner clock adjusted to the outer world.

But I could be wrong, and often am.

Hey.... I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question......BUT I am interested in how much Carnival charged you for the air vs. getting it on your own?

I am doing the Legend TA in April and was just wondering what Carnival charges one way.......thanks

We're a large family group on the August 2nd sailing of the Breeze; we're all coming from NYC. I can't help you with the question on booking through Carnival, we booked directly with Delta. Our flight takes off from Kennedy Airport about 7:00pm and arrives about 9:00am in Barcelona. We figured we'll all get some sleep on the plane and arrive ready to explore the city.

This is one of the reasons I do not book air though the cruise line. Book it yourself and you'll know when you are scheduled to arrive.

Hey.... I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question......BUT I am interested in how much Carnival charged you for the air vs. getting it on your own?

I am doing the Legend TA in April and was just wondering what Carnival charges one way.......thanks

We paid $649 round trip per person which included transfers from airport to ship and then ship to airport. I was ok with that price because we've never gone to Europe before and I didn't want to deal with making sure we got to the ship on time. I feel that if Carnival arranges it, they will get us to the ship on time or they will get us to the next port.

I am surprised you are flying all the way to Europe and arriving on the same day the cruise leaves-I go in a day early going from Charlotte to Miami. We did Barcelona 2 years ago and we did the Hop on, Hop Off bus(you will be tired you will probably just stay on entire time) but a great way to See Barcelona bit if you go in a day early, you can see and do so much more. Also, my concern of same day, is that the airlines lost our bags-one came in the next day, so we got it, but did not get the other for 4 days-if we had not gotten the one bad, we would have been SOL. Please reconsider going in day of cruise.

We paid $649 round trip per person which included transfers from airport to ship and then ship to airport. I was ok with that price because we've never gone to Europe before and I didn't want to deal with making sure we got to the ship on time. I feel that if Carnival arranges it, they will get us to the ship on time or they will get us to the next port.

Well actually that is not a bad price..........with the exception of not knowing any details about your flights.......

thank you

Thats about $300 per person less than we paid last year but we were limited in choices. We were meeting up with friends from California and flying over together. Loved the hop on hop off buses, we bought the 2 day pass and saw most of Barcelona. Sometimes we would walk to the next stop.

Maybe you've never done it but...

flying East on a red-eye, all thru the night

leaves you feeling like a freakin Zombie at the other end! :eek:

Unless you're one of the lucky folks who can sleep on a plane

you'll probably spend arrival day in Barcelona trying to get your inner clock adjusted to the outer world.

But I could be wrong, and often am.

I have flown to Europe a few times. Every flight has left Boston between 6 and 8pm. We sleep most of the flight and when we arrive in the morning hours we are good to go for the day. It may not be the most restful sleep but it keeps us pretty much on schedule. Now, coming back is the one that messes us up with a flight length almost equal to the time difference and we are home when we left!!!! It takes me awhile to adjust.

That being said I also would probably go a day early just for the sightseeing opportunity. ;)

I have flown to Europe a few times. Every flight has left Boston between 6 and 8pm. We sleep most of the flight and when we arrive in the morning hours we are good to go for the day. It may not be the most restful sleep but it keeps us pretty much on schedule. Now, coming back is the one that messes us up with a flight length almost equal to the time difference and we are home when we left!!!! It takes me awhile to adjust.

That being said I also would probably go a day early just for the sightseeing opportunity. ;)

I agree with Bookbug. Going over is not too bad, you should be fine. Also, I think the price is fine as I am sure it gets you back from your return port to your home, sounds like a win to me. Have fun!!!!!!

I thnnk one is overly ambitious to do an overnighter than roll off and expect to do the town. Between sleeping / trying to sleep on the short night flight and time change you'll be very challenged to be up and hopping in Barcelona.

Maybe as one person suggeste the HoHo, but IMHO better to grab a cap and see the a few Gaudi sights, Las Ramblas and make for the ship.

If it isn't too late I encourage you to think about flying in a day earlier. Yeah you pay hotel and additioanl change fees but Barcleona like all the cities in Europe are hard to do in a day. At least with fly in and fly out city you can choose/plan to get an extra day, well worth it IMHO.

Even if you get in ealry , after customs and such it'll be close to noon at best when you get to city.

We live in California and booked our airfare for the Magic through Carnival.

The price was a little higher than the best price outside, but it was our first time to Barcelona and I didn't want to worry about making it to the ship or catching the return flight.

The negatives about our booking is that Carnival booked us through Miami. I feel this added 6-7 hours each way over a more direct routing. They also pick you up very early in the morning in Barcelona to go to the ship and I would have preferred to spend a little more time in Barcelona

The positive was that they did the transfers and put us up in a very nice hotel in Barcelona pre-cruise (Novotel). We also had priority early disembarkation.

If we were going again, I would see if they were price competitive, but we would probably do it on our own.

As others have said, most Barcelona flights from the US leave in the evening, landing in Barcelona in the morning.

We find that spending the day sightseeing is the best way to adjust to the time difference. We develop an idea of what we want to see and as soon as we deposit our luggage somewhere, we start going. By evening we are very tired so we go to bed early and by the next morning are adjusted to the time difference. Coming back is another story!

There is usually not much of a wait for customs in Barcelona so we are usually in the city or at the boat (which is docked minutes from the city) within 2 hours of landing. However, if might take longer for you as you may have to wait for the Carnival transfer.

It is a bit of a walk from the pier into the city. People do it, but I would reccomend the port bus which for a couple of Euros takes you to/from the base of the Ramblas where you can pick up a hop-on, hop-off bus or other transportation or just walk.

I'm interested in this discussion as well, particularly anyone who had booked airfare to Europe through Carnival to catch up to a cruise.

We're booked on the Breeze TA cruise in November. Currently we have airfare and 2 nights lodging prior to the cruise along with transfers booked through Carnival, in fact due to a price decrease and a euro-air sale Carnival was having, we've had the airport transfer costs basically removed. The airfare to us is very good (can I post that here "legally")? Well, we think the airfare rate is good from the DC for a flight into Barcelona, and then a return flight from Miami back to the DC area (ugh...day before Thanksgiving...that's gonna be tons of fun)....We still have time to book the 2 day cruise out of Miami on the Breeze leaving on Turkey day!!

But...as some have said here, the biggest downside to this is not knowing when the flights are (story from our PVP is we SHOULD get a flight out of the DC area airport we've requested, but not a total guarntee) but we won't know our exact outgoing and return flights specifics until inside of 2 most before the cruise departs. I'm not concerned about getting in to Barcelona to meet the cruise, we better since we're paying for 2 nights hotel in Barcelona!!! But, a little uneasy waiting that long to know the airfare specifics.

We're mulling over trying to do the airfare on our own and trying to get something cost wise similar to what Carnival is charging, through 1800flyeurope and other travel so we can have "control" over our air arrangements. The Breeze roll call for the TA cruise has folks who have booked flights to Europe through 1800flyeurope...so who knows whats best!!!

My husband wants to go to Europe and I had shied away from it because of what I thought the cost for air would be... but good grief- your flight is cheaper than the quote I got to go into Boston to do a New England/Canadian cruise next fall! I think I will check Europe out afterall!

... Also, my concern of same day, is that the airlines lost our bags-one came in the next day, so we got it, but did not get the other for 4 days-if we had not gotten the one bad, we would have been SOL. Please reconsider going in day of cruise.

Yeah, delayed luggage and a tight gap from flight arrival till ship departure can leave you in a difficult situation if you don't know where to find the (reasonably) priced clothing stores.

My parents had exactly this problem some years ago - an overnight flight to Italy, then a 3 week cruise repositioning from Italy to South Africa which left the same day. None of the luggage arrived before the ship left, and they had basically the clothes on their backs, a few necessities in their carry-on, and a few t-shirts purchased in one of the ports. They were able to get more clothing when they got to Seychelles (which is almost at the end of the cruise !!!!).

The missing luggage actually got more airmiles on that trip :D than they did as it went: South Africa, Switzerland, Italy (2 stops), Switzerland, South Africa, Seychelles, South Africa, and then delivered to the house once they got home. Big apology and vouchers received for that fiasco.

That is an EXCELLENT price. I recently flew for a land vacation to Barcelona. It was on my miles, but the price I would have paid for the trip was well over a thousand dollars (from New York). And that was with a stop in Frankfurt, Germany (Lufthansa).

I will agree with others about the walking zombie effect the overnight flight can have, however. The older I get, the longer the recovery time.

One other suggestion...I did the Med. cruise leaving out of Rome (Carnival Freedom, serveral years ago). The airline prices were astronomical, and i was paying for my niece as well. We found the cheapest European arrival point (Delta to Dublin, about $500 RT) and then went via Ryan Air Dublin to Rome, for an additonal forty bucks. Ryan Air is everything it is rumored to be (a flying subway car complete with hawkers)...however, I was able to get us to Rome a day early, and to my surprise despite the connections, with our luggage. On the same cruise there were a good 80 people who had taken the Alitalia flight I had been looking at (for over $1,200 dollars) who did not see their luggage the entire voyage (it kept reaching our ports of call the day after we left).

There are ways to get creative with the flights, if you have the time to do it.

We're a large family group on the August 2nd sailing of the Breeze; we're all coming from NYC. I can't help you with the question on booking through Carnival, we booked directly with Delta. Our flight takes off from Kennedy Airport about 7:00pm and arrives about 9:00am in Barcelona. We figured we'll all get some sleep on the plane and arrive ready to explore the city.

I did the same thing; left from CT to JFK on Delta; arrived 9:00; they have a new Barcelona airport and it quite larger than the former; the cabs are all in front; if you are leaving that day, it is going to be hard walking the city with luggage. I stayed a day ahead so I wouldn't have to be with luggage walking. I printed out my hotel page so he could see where the hotel was

When I flew from Kansas City to Dubai, it was a 16 hours of flight time. I worked all day the day the day I flew out so I would be able to sleep on the plane. Even after working and taking tylenol PM I still could not sleep on that plane! Bravo to anyone that can sleep in coach on an international fllight!

When we went last year to Barcelona, our flight was due in around 10:30am, but we didn't get in until around 3:00pm. Luckily we were staying 2 nights early so we can enjoy Barcelona. It would have been a close call if we were sailing out that day!

It was a 6 hr difference in time where they were ahead. Needless to say we were exhausted.

If it's not to late to change, I would definitely fly in at least the day before. There is so much to see in Barcelona, it would be ashamed to fly all that way and not get to see the city!

Here is a link to my review....it was with NCL, but if you read the first couple of posts with pics, you will get a good idea of what there is to see in Barcelona and how I think it would be worth your while!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1427923

Enjoy your cruise!!

I did the same thing; left from CT to JFK on Delta; arrived 9:00; they have a new Barcelona airport and it quite larger than the former; the cabs are all in front; if you are leaving that day, it is going to be hard walking the city with luggage. I stayed a day ahead so I wouldn't have to be with luggage walking. I printed out my hotel page so he could see where the hotel was

If they go directly to the ship, they should be able to drop thier luggage even if they cannot board. Then they can take the port bus or a taxi into the city. We did that on HAL last year and were back in the City by about 10:30 even though our flight was delayed.

Archived