Are these docks in Alaska Ports near town

SF

Just found out that our ship the Sapphire will dock at these locations. Are they near town or are we going to have to take transportation in?

Skagway - we dock at the railroad dock aft

Ketchikan - we dock at pier 2n which says Tongrass Store

Juneau - it says AJ Dock but it doesn't say how close to town.

Anyone know if these docks are within walking distance to town?

Thanks.

That would be a yes to all three. Although to be fair, the walk in to Skagway is the longest of the three at, what would you say guys, maybe five minutes at most?

It might be a shade longer in Skagway, but not much. In Juneau and Ketchikan, you get off the ship right in town.

That would be a yes to all three. Although to be fair, the walk in to Skagway is the longest of the three at, what would you say guys, maybe five minutes at most?

Yes I agree. All of the ports that you listed are very close to town. Not a problem except if you have mobility limitations as Budget Queen suggested.

Marilyn

Agree with all of the above with one additional note: If your ship docks in Juneau at the AJ Mine dock then I would suggest using your ship's shuttle to/from the "main" dock area or else it would be a fairly long and, IMO, uninteresting 15 min(?) walk.

We are going with Captain Larry in Juneau and he sent a map showing the docks in Juneau in relation to his location. I didn't see the AJD dock on it so I found a map of the dock area which showed that dock. It is 1.1 miles from town which puts it a little farther away than the other docks.

Take a look at the live cams On Princess web site ot cruise ships that travel to Alaska, today they had ships in Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan- All docked in the middle of town except for Skagway about a 6 block walk. Also you will see the glaciers when they are going there. The picture in Kethikan was taken when I was there in July of last year. 85 degrees.

The nice thing about the Ketchikan area is that it is very handicapped accesible. The sidewalks are broad and well maintained. They have crossing guards at most of the crossings for safety. Everything is very well laid out and CLEAN. They certainly take a LOT of pride in their city.

There is a free walking tour map of the city available at the tourist info building right at the docks. It guides you thru most of the more interesting venues around town, explains some of the history of the town.

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org

Archived