Grand princess upkeep

Brian Raine

And without the mats, your shoes/slippers/whatever get wet when you go out after a rain. Then that wetness/dirt is tracked into the cabin making more work for the steward to clean it up.

We were on the Grand for two weeks last winter and asked for an extra bath mat to be placed by the door in the cabin because of that, it did the job.The steward changed it regularely and carpette was kept dry and clean.

We were on the Grand in March, and the balconies below us (Caribe & Mini Suite) were littered with what looked like paint chips. Only one cabin steward made an attempt to clean it, on day 3.

I won't even talk about the condition of our cabin. I wanted to throw up when I walked into the bathroom for the first time. I spoke to the cabin steward and the problem was cleaned up, but I never felt I was in a clean cabin after that.

There are only 2 ships my husband refuses to sail on again, Liberty of the Seas and the Grand Princess. Me, I have a short memory. I liked both ships and have no problem sailing on either of them again. I'm sure our issues were one time only.

We got off the Grand 2nd June and yes there are rust problems but not enough to stop us going back on the Grand. The balcony dividers are being changed where necessary, both sides of our balcony were changed one day while we were on board, I was a little annoyed because it beasically meant that we could not go into our cabin from 9am until 4:30 pm on one day but we accept that if we want the ship to be maintained then we have to occasionally have a little disruption. The bigger problem IMO is the lack of matting on the balcony floor, as many others have said the floor gets hot and it is always dirty, we came back to our room just as the steward was finishing cleaning the balcony on a sea day but when we returned 3 hours later it was fithy again even though no-one had been on it. The problem is that the sea water/moist air is carrying the dirty, when the mats were there the dirt must still have there but it was less visible and I guess alot of it fell through the holes in the mat.

wish all we had to run round the grand and look for was rust ,came of her last week after a great 2 week cruise where the staff done a great job ,constantly trying to make our cruise the best they could .

mainanence work runs all year round painting ,varnishing .

just remember passengers complain like hell if they cant go where they want because wet paint signs are all over the ship and i dont fancy being the little guy hanging on a rope to paint the anchor well on a rough sea day :D

built in 1998 and still doing princess a good job i,ll sail on the grand any day of the week

Hi All

I can confirm while in Southampton today loads of white paint being applied to the ship, also last few days lots of varnish and wet paint signs, also cutting and welding taking place, major replacement programme of balcony dividers underway, ship is not new and maintenance will always be ongoing.

yours Shogun

Glad to hear there is work going on to repair the balconies. We were on the Grand in April and our Caribe balcony was in terrible shape. Now if they get the plumbing fixed on that floor, ahe will be back to her old self!!!

Archived