British Colonial Hilton - Just okay

cruiserjt

Our family of four - DH, myself and 2 8y/o DDs - purchased a day pass from BCH during our Miracle cruise 5/29.

Honestly - it was okay, the pool was beautiful, clean and almost too warm. My DD had a sunburn and the pool was too hot for her skin. (We survived) The beach was nice enough, we had horrible rain showers just prior to and as soon as we arrived and the pads and cushions were totally soaked - No staff was around to try to move things intoto the sun dry to dry- so we did this ourselves with limited success. The girls tried to snorkel and the water was clear but unfortunately the only thing we saw was a collection of beer and soda cans. Granted, we weren't looking for a major snorkeling adventure but it would have been nice to see a fish. The view of the ships was wonderful and the sand was soft.

Checking in - very simple but no information about the facility, we were not given any information about lunch options or towels. Just handed our little vouchers for $90 lunch and four towels. The towels were not available for an hour or so - and we had to make a couple trips back to the hut to inquire but did finally get them.

I had read that there were options for lunch - but the inside buffet was very busy and full of people VERY DRESSED UP. I certainly didn't feel it was an option for our beach wear. The outdoor beach bar was staffed by one waiter who spent only only about half his time outside. We found a menu and waited....... Other guests told us that they had to go inside to order (they were staying at the hotel). We finally ordered two cheeseburgers w/fries, chicken fingers and grouper fingers; two bahama mama drinks and a couple of sodas (in small glasses with ice). This came to $101 and was served in styrofoam boxes.

The waiter did not return to collect our check with the additional cash to cover the balance. Lo and behold - our credit card was charged the additional $11. Not sure if it is worth the battle or not to dispute it because there is no way to prove we left the cash with the voucher in the folder.

Will not likely return - we usually love the day pass options while in port but this one just wasn't a good fit. We just expected better and more welcoming service.

Happy to answer questions - I am sure many have had different experiences here - just wanted to share what happened to us

We have done the Hilton and Sheraton, and prefer the Sheraton. The waiters at the Sheraton were very nice, and delivered our food and drink to the beach. It was much wider, and there were fish to be seen (had snorkeling walls in the water). Just a more upbeat crowd, even though it was also relaxing.

Our family of four - DH, myself and 2 8y/o DDs - purchased a day pass from BCH during our Miracle cruise 5/29.

Honestly - it was okay, the pool was beautiful, clean and almost too warm. My DD had a sunburn and the pool was too hot for her skin. (We survived) The beach was nice enough, we had horrible rain showers just prior to and as soon as we arrived and the pads and cushions were totally soaked - No staff was around to try to move things intoto the sun dry to dry- so we did this ourselves with limited success. The girls tried to snorkel and the water was clear but unfortunately the only thing we saw was a collection of beer and soda cans. Granted, we weren't looking for a major snorkeling adventure but it would have been nice to see a fish. The view of the ships was wonderful and the sand was soft.

Checking in - very simple but no information about the facility, we were not given any information about lunch options or towels. Just handed our little vouchers for $90 lunch and four towels. The towels were not available for an hour or so - and we had to make a couple trips back to the hut to inquire but did finally get them.

I had read that there were options for lunch - but the inside buffet was very busy and full of people VERY DRESSED UP. I certainly didn't feel it was an option for our beach wear. The outdoor beach bar was staffed by one waiter who spent only only about half his time outside. We found a menu and waited....... Other guests told us that they had to go inside to order (they were staying at the hotel). We finally ordered two cheeseburgers w/fries, chicken fingers and grouper fingers; two bahama mama drinks and a couple of sodas (in small glasses with ice). This came to $101 and was served in styrofoam boxes.

The waiter did not return to collect our check with the additional cash to cover the balance. Lo and behold - our credit card was charged the additional $11. Not sure if it is worth the battle or not to dispute it because there is no way to prove we left the cash with the voucher in the folder.

Will not likely return - we usually love the day pass options while in port but this one just wasn't a good fit. We just expected better and more welcoming service.

Happy to answer questions - I am sure many have had different experiences here - just wanted to share what happened to us

Thanks for the information. I had been looking at getting a day pass at this place when we are in port, but i just cant justify paying that kind of money. And the food prices you got charged are really expensive. I would rather walk back to the ship and eat. Im really stumped on why RCL still sails to Nassau. There doesnt seem like a lot to do beside a little shopping, sit on a beach or visit over priced Atlantis.

This experience is why we always walk a block or two past the BCH to the free beach. Same water (except pool) and a lot cheaper food and drink from local vendors..Can't wait to be there in August.

We enjoyed BCH when we visited last year but the fees were less than they are asking for now.

You won't find any good snorkeling there or anywhere else there is a sandy bottom

Our food and drink orders did take some time to get to us but there was more than one waiter back then, too......

This experience is why we always walk a block or two past the BCH to the free beach. Same water (except pool) and a lot cheaper food and drink from local vendors..Can't wait to be there in August.

Do you happen to know the name of the beach? Can you rent chairs/umbrellas?

• 2 weeks later...
Do you happen to know the name of the beach? Can you rent chairs/umbrellas?

It could be Junkanoo that was referred too. We walked by the BCH to Junkanoo Beach on our trip in February. It was a nice quiet beach. There are a couple of tiny buildings where you can rent chairs and buy drinks and food. I ordered a Pineapple Colada.....which was good. I'm thinking it was $6 or $7. There isn't much to do at this beach, but it was great for just a couple of hours and within walking distance of the port. By the way, I just noticed my profile picture and it was me with my Pineapple Colada on Junkanoo.

Archived